Judge Larson rules that William’s Boys can play…………..For now !

Hennepin County Judge Gary Larson put state court proceedings in the case on hold Wednesday, pending a decision from a federal court. He said a state trial during the 2009 season was unlikely.

“The court routinely accommodates parties’ work and family obligations,” Larson wrote, adding that “it is not likely that the court would, or could, force plaintiffs into trial during the middle of the playing season.”

If the state court is the place that the appeal of the players’ four-game suspension should be heard, then the court schedule wouldn’t likely allow for the case to be heard during the season, Larson reportedly said on Wednesday.

Larson granted the NFL’s request to hold off until the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals weighs in on the case. That panel hears arguments Aug. 18 in St. Paul.

The NFL suspended the players for four games last season after they tested positive for the banned substance bumetanide, which wasn’t listed on the labeling of the dietary product Starcaps. The Williamses have been appealing that suspension in state and federal court ever since.

The players, who aren’t related, aren’t accused of taking steroids. They tested positive last summer for a banned diuretic that can mask the presence of steroids after taking the weight-loss supplement StarCaps. The diuretic, bumetanide, wasn’t listed on the label.
The NFL wants to suspend the players for four games each.

“I just want it to be over,” Pat Williams said at practice in Mankato. “If they’re going to suspend me, they’ll suspend me. If they ain’t, they ain’t. I’m just tired of it dragging and keeping going because you don’t want to keep it over your head, your family’s head, your teammate’s head, your coach’s head, your owner’s head.”

“I’m just tired of it. It’s just really getting old. It’s been dragging on,” he said. “We don’t need no bad news right now. Everything’s good. You all heard it before I heard it. I’ve been at practice all day, so I don’t know what’s going on. I guess it’s good.”

The players’ lawyer, Peter Ginsberg, said Wednesday’s decision makes them “more confident they can go about their job and not be disrupted for the next several months.”
Kevin Williams called the state judge’s decision a “step forward.”

“There’s a chance that it could still go against us,” he said.

The NFL Players Association has its own federal appeal pending in an attempt to aid the Williamses and three other players suspended for the same alleged violation: New Orleans Saints defensive linemen Charles Grant and Will Smith and former running back Deuce McAllister. The union has argued that the NFL didn’t properly inform players about what it knew about the products they used.

Pat said he hasn’t been getting updates from his lawyers since training camp started last week.

“I ain’t talked to nobody since I got here. I’m just going with the flow,” he said. “I talk to (my agent), but he really don’t tell me nothing because he wants to keep me focused. He just wants me to keep my mind focused.”

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Enjoyed this post?
Subscribe to Vikings Gab via RSS Feed or E-mail and receive daily news updates from us!

Submit to Digg  Stumble This Story  Share on Twitter  Post on Facebook  Post on MySpace  Add to del.icio.us  Bark It Up  Submit to Reddit  Fave on Technorati

Leave a Reply