Taking Another Crack At It

Before the Vikings first preseason game, I took a stab at trying to figure out the Vikings final 53-man roster.  Some things have changed a bit since then (ya think!?!).  With the addition of Brett Favre, the news that John Sullivan is practicing at long snapper, and injuries at the tight end position have made me second guess a few things.  Here is my revised prediction for the Vikings final roster, this time including the practice squad.

QB

3.      TE – Jake Nordin

4.      OT – Drew Radovich

5.      C – Jon Cooper

6.      DT – Antoine Holmes

7.      S – Jamarca Sanford

8.      CB – Marcus Walker

Let me knwo what you think.

7 Responses to “Taking Another Crack At It”

1. Luke H says:

Could you post the details on the “practice squad” rules? Like, can teams pick anyone up off the practice squads? Or are they still on our roster and are off limits to other teams? I was just curious if you had some detailed info.

Also, I’m really disappointed that it looks like Ian Johnson isn’t going to make the 53. I’ve always been a fan of his through college and I think he could be really great someday. Albert Young has played great (at RB and Special teams) but do you see Ian making the 53 by any chance?

Side note:You need to start feeling a little Favre-Love man. Hold that hatred in a little more 🙂

2. Luke H says:

I was wondering if you can put some detail about the rules of the practice squad? Can any team pick people up off the practice squads or are they off limits? I’m not 100% on those details.

Also, I’m a fan of Ian Johnson and have been through out his College career. I really think he’ll be part of a great two-headed running back combo someday so it’d be great to keep him around to develop more. Young has been playing great at RB and Special teams so he is a lock over Ian, but do you see the vikes trying to squeeze him on the 53?

Side note: Adam…man…you need to hide some of that Favre hate and find a way to learn to love him for a year or two 🙂 It’s like the creepy uncle you don’t like, but you at least fake it so the world is a better place 🙂

3. Adam Warwas says:

Luke,

Good to see you back again!

Basically when teams cut down to 8 players, they will go through a waivers process for a day where any team can claim them (like when the Chiefs claimed Tyler Thigpen). After players go unclaimed then they are free to negotiate practice squad contracts with teams. Each team gets 8 on the practice squad. While yo can take guys that other teams cut, most of the practice squad guys will be players that were present for training camp and preseason. That’s the short and simple version.

Can’t hide the hate, Luke. It’s just not natural. I hope the Vikings do well, but I truly think that this move will be a mistake from a football stand point.

4. Adam Warwas says:

Oh, and Ian has looked jsut fine. It’s just a matter of Albert Young looking better. I think the Vikings do not take 4 running backs on the final roster and I do not think it’ll be easy to slip him thru to the practice squad. Ian is talented, but unless one of our top three gets hurt in the next couple weeks, then he doesn’t make the team. That’s my guess anyhow.

5. Brendan Engle says:

All in all, I think this is a pretty solid prediction. I personally think that Jimmy Kennedy will make the team over Kenny Onatolu. 8 LBs would be nice for STs, but I think we will go for better D-Line rotation.

I also don’t know if Booty will clear waivers if he is cut.

Finally, I really hope we keep 6 WRs. Reynaud and Jaymar both NEED to be on the team. I think it is definitely the last year for Bobby Wade. He was solid for us, but he has no upside.

6. Adam Warwas says:

Brendan, those are pretty much all the same questions I had on my own predictions. The Vikes have some tough decisions to make that is for sure.

Another possibility is that with the presence of Harvin, the Vikings cut BOTH Albert Young and Ian Johnson. Harvin can take snaps at HB.

Also, they’ve been working Sullivan out at long snapper. Loeffler has done a great job, but if they can save a roster spot by having Sullivan do it then they will.

JDB is about 50-50 on making it through waivers. QB is the hardest one to predict. My hope is the Vikes get some good trade offers for T-Jack… who knows.

And you’re right. In fact, Wade might be a surprise cut THIS year. We’ll see.

I think the Vikings are practically counting Robison as part of the DT rotation as well… but the looming suspension could be enough to keep Kennedy on.

Good stuff!

7. […] recently took another look at my predictions for the Vikings final roster.  I had a couple of minor changes to who I thought would make the cut, […]