Make No Mistake, THIS Is Why The Vikes Got Favre

In July, the Vikings had a big red circle on their calendars around week four versus the Packers.  After the Vikings signed Brett Favre, there were two big red circles around Packer week.

Ever since April, I’ve been saying that Favre was a poor football move but a genius business move.  The football portion will play itself out over the next three months, and I may or may not end up being wrong.

However, the business portion of the Favre acquisition has already begun to bear fruit.

Numerous reports of the Vikings climbing the financial ladder have surfaced ever since Favre signed.  It began with his preseason debut and following game on ESPN recording the largest audiences of any preseason games ever.

Then, Monday Night’s featuring of Brett Favre torching his old team became the highest rated cable telecast.  Ever.  That includes both local and national markets.

To go along with ticket sales getting a boost, the Vikings are receiving a substantial boost from Favre memorabilia.  Particularly, Favre has the top selling jersey of all players since April 1st.  This is particularly impressive when you consider that his jerseys did not even go up for sale until he signed with the team on August 18th.

So, back to that big red circle that the Vikings had on their calendar, it is no surprise that they chose to meet with the State Legislature regarding stadium issues last week.  While there is no agreement in place, it was nice to see Governor Tim Pawlenty treat the subject with some level of understanding, which is a complete U-Turn from where things were at earlier this year.

“We value the Vikings’ importance to Minnesota — we need to find a way to keep our Minnesota Vikings,” said Pawlenty during Packers week.

Bingo.

The Vikings knew they had a great chance of being 3-0 heading into week four based solely off the scheduled opponents.  They knew the hype would be through the roof against the Packers.  They knew the national spotlight would be on Minnesota.  They knew this would be the best time to talk with the powers-that-be about “Metrodome Next.”

THIS is the real reason the Vikings brought in Brett Favre… make no mistake about it.

19 Responses to “Make No Mistake, THIS Is Why The Vikes Got Favre”

Adam I gotta say you do a great job here. I hope the real AV bloggers come here when we get shut down. I like the Favre signing more than you and I pray that Im right and you are wrong because if your right we will end up disappointed.

big,

Thanks for the support! AV bloggers are welcome here any time… I love seeing old friends.

True, I dislike the Favre signing from a football perspective, but like you, I hope I am wrong for the greater good. You won’t see me rooting against him on Sundays, that much I can promise.

2. starrc10 says:

I just really hope the Favre signing holds up to football scrutiny through the Superbowl, after that I don’t care if he is terrible.

3. B.Grant says:

Showin’ up from the Original AV at the Strib. Those turncoats Judd and Chip abandoned us, but the old gang is hangin’ in there. Good stuff here Adam. I was not in favor of the Favre move, and have to admit I am warming up to him. Like I said over there, his one interception and obvious arm strength are pleasant surprises at this stage. But we got a long ways to go. Can’t say I DISlike the guy, though.

Coach, good to see you my friend! Try not to be too rough on Judd & Chip… they do a great job doing a very tough job. It is some corporate fat cats that have called for the changes, not the beat writers. But I love the resistence and their entusiasm… the changes to AV really stink.

Glad to hear you are also warming up to Favre, but I can’t deny that I’m still ice cold 🙂

4. Fran the Man says:

No question, Minnesota picked up Favre first of all to sell jerseys and such but I’m sure at the back of their minds, they were also thinking; “If this guy can still play. . .BONUS!”

Well, it looks like he can still play. If the O-line can keep him upright, we’ll go deep into the playoffs.

And yeah Adam, what BigJohnny said, Good job!

5. starrc10 says:

Adam, what do you think about putting up some interesting info about the coming team? That is one of my favorite things to do during the week – learn about our opponent. Sometimes at Daily Norsemen they host a blogger from the opponent city. Just something to think about… I do love your smack talk segments, but I would be in favor of more. Just sayin’.

starr, I think it is a great idea. Unfortunately, Friday is my last day for about 10 days… so I’ll have to implement it around week 7 or so.

Fortunately (for me) my time off includes mid-field, 6th row tickets to Ravens game 🙂

Fun Fact: I couldn’t find a Rams fan willing to smack talk… I wonder why 🙂

Sorry Adam I forgot you were AK. I see coach came here and I gotta say that is the best thing to happen. Coach is like me ( keep it simple ) and you have. Starr was right a while back saying we should come here. I see Fran is here too, but AK dont forget to come into the real AV blog as long as it is alive

big, yes it is great to see coach and the whole gang coming over here from time to time… I hope it continues.

While I don’t always comment (for fear of always appearing to be shamelessly pimping my site during a tough hand dealt to J&C) I’m always reading comment at OAV.

In fact, you guys are usually my best inspiration if I need help thinking of a good writing topic.

7. Fran the Man says:

Adam,
    Nope no snow yet. Got the place shut down for the winter and done hunting.
    Lots of Caribou and Moose made their last stand at the place this year. Good year for Ptarmigan too. You should try to make it up next season, I’ve got lots of cabins available. .

Fran, congrats on the great season. Mrs. Warwas and I would love to come visit you next season. We’ll for sure plan on it!

If you’re ever down our way, just ask around for Adam… we always have a spare room in case you want to catch some silvers.

Say “hi” to that brother of yours next time you talk to him.

8. CalVkg says:

looks good here, thought i’d grab my username and join up

What’s your guys’ take on this? I sure would like to see AP go several games without a fumble. He is on the verge of earning a label, and that is going to be a serious problem. It’s confounding, because I understnand the man has a tremendous grip, he does things to work on it, and the coaching staff has certainly made it a point of emphasis with him.
    My theory is “lack of concentration during the run itself”. He is so dialed in to reading blocks, looking for seams, delivering a blow, that he simply “forgets” to concentrate his strength and energy there. Any other theories?