Despite Bye, Vikings Having A Good Sunday

The Packers are the first team to lose to the Bucs in 2009.  I’m laughing.

The Bears were hearing boos by halftime of their loss to the Cardinals.  I’m laughing even harder.

That gives the Vikings a three game lead in the division, and essentially a four game lead over the Packers since they’ve swept the Pack and own the tiebreaker.

As I mentioned earlier, the Bears are still the Vikings closest enemy, but after today’s embarrassing loss, I’m thinking we can start be more concerned with earning first week playoff bye week and homefield advantage throughout the playoffs.

As of this posting, the Saints are losing by 14 points to the Panthers.  I’m not laughing about that one… yet.

UPDATE:  Well, the Saints ended up winning, go figure.  But the Lions lost, meaning all of the Vikings divisional foes lost during their bye week.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Submit to Digg  Stumble This Story  Share on Twitter  Post on Facebook  Post on MySpace  Add to  Bark It Up  Submit to Reddit  Fave on Technorati

7 Responses to “Despite Bye, Vikings Having A Good Sunday”

Adam, I just hope the guys dont get overconfident and start thinking they already clinched the division. It would be very easy to start looking past some weaker teams we play. I dont think they will because of the veteran leadership they have.

That’s a good point, and we’ve seen that in the past.

I hope the players do not get too confiedent, but I also hope the coaches are confident enough to realize when they’ve won a game and pull the starters. Helth going into the playoffs will be a huge factor as to how this team does.

Agree Adam. Do you know what the latest is on Winnfield?

3. Adam Warwas says:

We’ll know more this afternoon, but I did read a quote from Childress that he expects the ENTIRE team to be able to play by Sunday… wouldn’t be surprised if the Vikes gave Winfield another week of rest though… perhaps even just limiting his role against Detroit.

Any idea on the health of the Lions receivers. It seems like we have matchup problems with them.

5. Adam Warwas says:

As of now, the Lions receivers appear to be fully healthy. Again, we’ll know more by this evening.

Anybody will matchup poorly against Detroit’s receivers (and tight end) but that only does Detroit any good if they can protect the quarterback… which they can’t against the Vikings. If Winfield is even a question mark, then I don’t think it is worth the risk against the Lions.

Perhaps just use him in nickle situations is what I would do… let him get back on the field and loose, but not over doing it.

Good idea Adam. Besides giving playing time to Asher and Paymah could really payoff in the long run.