Percy Harvin To Take On Yet Another Role?

I have made some references to this previously, but thought today would be a good opportunity to explore it a little further.  Coach Childress has made allusions to the possibility of using Percy Harvin on punt returns for the second half of the season.

Harvin practiced in this role during training camp, but it was widely reported that he did not appear comfortable and it was unnatural to him.  Darius Reynaud won the job and was extremely productive.  On his first seven attempts, Reynaud was averaging 17.3 yards per punt return.  A hamstring injury sidelined Reynaud and Jaymar Johnson was given the duty of returning punts.  Johnson has averaged a respectable 8.4 yards on 16 attempts.

With Reynaud expecting to be healthy after the bye week, one would assume he would get the job back, but it appears that the Vikings coaches would like to have Harvin touch the ball more.  What better way than to have him return punts?  If Harvin has been practicing and improving in this area, then obviously putting him in the open field with the ball in his hands could be quite exciting.  He is a game changer.

Still, I have to question the wisdom of putting Harvin in harm’s way, fulfilling the duties of a position he has little experience at, while a perfectly good option is sitting on the sidelines in Reynaud.

While I wouldn’t cry if Harvin becomes our punt returner (after all, he’s on my fantasy team) I expect that the Vikings coaches will play it safe and see if Reynaud can continue his success.  It’ll be an interesting move, either way, and perhaps one that will determine exactly how much our special teams has improved.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Submit to Digg  Stumble This Story  Share on Twitter  Post on Facebook  Post on MySpace  Add to  Bark It Up  Submit to Reddit  Fave on Technorati

12 Responses to “Percy Harvin To Take On Yet Another Role?”

Adam what exactly is Reynauds status right now I havent heard much about him. I dont think its a good idea to have Percy returning punts unless its in the playoffs or if its late in the game and we need a TD on a return.

2. Adam Warwas says:

I think that is exactly why they would look at having him do that sometime soon… if the game is on the line and you need a big play, you want HArvin getting the ball… but you don’t want Harvin returning his first punt ever in that situation. If they do it, they’ll start by doing it in low stress scenarios.

That would make sense. I cant believe the change in Chilli this year. He actually does some things that make sense. Do you think he lets some of his coaches have more input? Frazier and Bevell.

4. Adam Warwas says:

more input for sure, but he is doing has shown improvement in his decision making… still baffles me from time to time though.

I wonder if Mr. Favre has had alot to do with Chillis improved decision making. His confidence in Brett and Bretts input on alot of things.

I dont think its a good idea.
    Harvin is a game changer, and I agree maybe see what happens when the game isnt on the line.
    But…I dont want to see any turnovers. If Reynaud is healthy it should be his job.

7. Adam Warwas says:

I’m with ya… don’t understand why Reynaud wouldn’t get the job back if he’s healthy… perhaps coach wants to keep Reynaud inactive because he wants to keep Greg Lewis and Jaymar active for the passing game?

From what I’ve seen, Reynaud is more dangerous as a receiver than Lewis or Johnson. Maybe its just me, but I’ve seen some great explosion from Reynaud and a lot of potential. More than the other two for sure.

9. Adam Warwas says:

Lewis has really been solid this year, and not just the miracle catch. Watch him when he’s ont he field… he’s almost always at the right spot at the right time to throw a perfectly timed block. Great blocker that Lewis.

Also, Jaymar is, in my opinion, a better receiver than Reynaud. He’s crisper in his routes and seems capable of doing big things. I think Jaymar is perhaps a player who could have stepped up in a huge way this year if he wasn’t stuck behind some good guys on the depth chart. Cris Carter said Jaymar could be a starter in this league, no question about it.

Reynaud should get his punt return job back, in my opinion. However, I can see where having Percy return punts would be an attractive option for Chili. Opening up a roster spot on game day by not having 6 wide outs would allow them to keep special teams contributors active. When Winfield comes back, then Asher will probably inactive again even though they’d probably like to get him ont he field. Same goes for Erin Henderson. Not much need for 6 recievers on game day if Percy is returning punts. So I can understand the thinking.

Well if Cris Carter said that about Jaymar, I beleive it. I’ve always been a big fan of C.C. Gotta love it Adam, you can understand Chilli’s thinking while alot of us are still scratching our heads.

11. Adam Warwas says:

Uh oh, are you saying Chili and I are on the same page? I think maybe I need to re-evaluate my life now, thanks alot 😉

Now, I’m off to go enter a cross-dresisng competition…

Sorry Adam I couldnt resist when you said “so I can understand the thinking”. Good luck at the cross-dressing competition but you dont have a chance against Chilli. You also dont have a chance against Chilli in the dumbest phrases and words competition.