Access Vikings Stoops To New Lows

Many of our readers like to rip on the new Access Vikings site for various reasons, and usually I take the high road and tell the readers that Access Vikings is still one of the best at what they do.

Today I am not going to be so kind.

The Star Tribune recently gave readers the chance to write articles for Access Vikings, for which they won’t be paid.  Wow, what a prize.  The nearly bankrupt newspaper was simply trying to get creative as they seek new ways to spew as much content as possible about the Minnesota Vikings.  Apparently not paying the writers wasn’t cheap enough, but they also don’t seem to have an editor to check for spelling/grammar mistakes either.

Now, I know I’m the last one that should be ripping on someone for their typos, but Vikings Gab is not the Star Tribune… a company that needs to desperately cling to their credibility… the only thing they really have left.

That being said, the tragedy here is not in vocabulary or spelling.  The tragedy is the content crap that was recently allowed to be posted at Access Vikings.

One of the fan blog contest “winners” recently posted a blog about the Vikings first round choice this year.

The article basically boils down to:

1. I, like many people, thought the Vikings should have drafted Michael Oher.
  2. Percy Harvin and Phil Loadholt are good players.
  3. I saw “Blind Side” this weekend.
  4. I, unlike many people, am back to thinking the Vikings should have drafted Michael Oher.
  5. I changed my mind because I saw a movie.

Now, I was one that was ticked when the Vikings didn’t draft Michael Oher.  Those feelings disappeared for the most part when Phil Loadholt surprisingly fell to the Vikings in round two.  They disappeared for good when Percy Harvin took the field.

Time will tell whether Oher or Harvin, both of which have had great rookie years, turns out to be the best player.  Right now Harvin has the edge but it is still arguable.

The real problem I had with the article was the fact that someone who writes articles for the Star Tribune is “evaluating” a draft class based off of a Hollywood film.  That is ridiculous and fit for something on some half-assed blog (Vikings Gab will be running a similar story very soon… kidding) rather than a “reputable” newspaper’s site.

In my opinion, the Strib did the writer a disservice by not refusing to print the drivel and point out the pointlessness of the post, not to mention the many errors.  Now he is left to defend himself in the comments section in a way that only makes him look more helpless as a Vikings writer.

Bottom line?  The Star Tribune and Access Vikings have long had a very good thing going, but they are now ruining it and abandoning their own credibility in an effort to get more hits and have more content, regardless of how crappy, than anyone else on the web.

Kudos to them for their years of great coverage of the Vikings.

Shame on them for throwing it all away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

29 Responses to “Access Vikings Stoops To New Lows”

Go Adam let them have it. They deserve it. Our feelings were right on after all. AV became a joke the moment they changed it. They should have listened to us back then, so I for one dont feel sorry for them. They screwed themselves. I’m happy to call here home.

2. Aaron says:

I totally agree. I haven’t read the article, although it sounds like garbage, but it’s because I also stopped visiting AV the minute they started their “premium content” crap. Haven’t been there since, honestly. It’s embarassing to see them go this route because it used to be a great source for Viking info.

Aaron, I did the same thing. But I have to admit, I sneek into the archives once in a while to see what the old gang is saying.

4. Fragile Fred says:

Sorry, Freds doesn’t contribute or visit that site anymore. Fred will have to take your word for the trash being published. Yawn!

Fred is so disappointed his rabbit ears don’t bring in ESPN.

Hey Adam do you think AV would hire me to check for typo’s? Never mind, I wouldnt lower myself to that, plus I wouldnt get paid. Damm another TD for Saints!

Hey Johnny! These Saints look pretty darn good. Whats up with Brady not throwin to moss.
    Maybe Pats will do some of that in the 2nd half. I dont think Saints can cover him.

7. starrc10 says:

What a perfect dagger… Darren Sharper picking off Brady late in the fourth.

To quote: “ugh…”

Hey c.c. As Im posting the Saints put it away as Starr just said Sharper with int. Kinda wishing Sharp was still with us.

Adam,
    Home is where the heart is, Your’s is in your blog, Access Viking isn’t, I’m with johnny,this is home Bro…

Saints looked good last night, I still like are team better as a whole, The Vikings have been focused quite awhile and still are getting better

10. Viking John says:

AV sucks, posted on their site for 3 years now you can’t post on it since the change. Everyone complained, but they didn’t listen. Adam keep up the good work. Freds you owes me another Colts…..

Go Vikes

11. Viking John says:

Now about the game last night. The saints looked tough. But in all fairness, the Pats looked very lost on defense. Guys falling down or turning the wrong way. The one TD, the saints player was wide open because of the blown coverage.
    The saints are very good, every WR is good.
    The Pats just didn’t look like they came to play. IMO

Go Vikes

12. wtfvikesfan says:

Interesting stats…….

PervyHarvin says:
    December 1, 2009 1:41 PM
    Eric Dickerson- First four seasons: 13,14,10,12

Walter Payton- seasons of 9,10,11

JimBrown-seasons of 9 twice and 7 twice

Franco Harris-10twice,9twice,8twice,11

Those numbers are fumbles in a season. Don’t panic about AD. Hard ass runners tend to fumble,part of the bad ass style. Hopefully like Walter,he will get it worked out.

13. Fran the Man says:

It’s about time Adam. You have always taken the high road, in regards to the Trib.
    I was a faithful reader and commenter to AV until they changed the format and I found I couldn’t post under “Fran the Man”
    I sent emails (And comments) to both Chip and Judd and never got a response.
    They’re gone. Long live Vikings Gab!

Fran! Good to see you, buddy! We were starting to wonder where you were at.

If you’ve jumped from AV to VG, then it is their loss and our gain, that much is for sure!

Glad you’re back!

• Fran the Man says:

Well thanks for the flowers Adam (AK)
        I real badly about Chip & Judd.
        Those guys were real blog-friendly back in the day. They answered questions from individuals, had a pretty nice repoir with us all, then BANG!, Nothing.
        Obviously they are now under orders (From idiots) not to respond to the old regulars from the Old AV. Their loss, your gain.

Glad to have you back Fran. You were missed here. Keep the comments coming and be sure to join the chats.

Adam you didnt tell me about the flowers, nice touch. Fran you are dead on there. Hope the rest of the guys come here also.

16. Fran the Man says:

Oh come on Big J, you know that’s an old Cb phrase meaning “Thanks for the compliment/touching base” sort of comment, right?

17. Fran the Man says:

HE DIDN’T SEND ME FLOWERS!
    (Although that would have been a nice touch. . . )

I know Fran, its just great to have you back no matter what happened. Lets just look forward to the Vikes kicken some serious butt and go from there.