All Free Agent Team v2.0

Quite some amount of weeks ago I started my “All Free Agent Team.”  Basically, I created an entire starting roster (plus a backup usually) of players that are set to become free agents in 2010.  Since a lot has changed since I did the last list, I decided to re-visit it tonight and make some updates.  Feel free to let me know what you think in the comments.

The roster is compiled with many things kept in mind which include, but are not limited to talent, character, age, fitting in with the Vikings, and expected salary.

This exercise, much like a mock draft, is mostly pointless.  Much can change between now and the opening of free agency.  The Collective Bargaining negotiations, injuries, break out games, slumps in productions, contract extension, players being cut, and franchise tags are just a few things that will affect this coming free agency class.

However, the exercise does show us where needs of the Vikings could possibly be filled in free agency, and where they may want to consider using the draft or trades as a means of filling the need.  For example, you will see that this year’s free agents at quarterback will doubtless leave the Vikings looking at the draft or for a trade to find their quarterback of the future.

Ages for the players below are as of September 1st, 2010 (roughly the beginning of next season).  Also, I have refrained from putting Vikings players on the list.  I have also refrained from putting players whom I am somewhat certain will be restricted free agents, though this can change depending on the CBA.

So, without further ado:

S:  Dawan Landry, 27, Ravens

CB:  Dunta Robinson, 28, Texans

CB:  William Gay, 25, Steelers

CB:  Leigh Bodden, 28, Patriots

K:  Stephen Gostkowski, 26, Patriots

P:  Sebastian Janikowski, 32, Raiders

7 Responses to “All Free Agent Team v2.0”

Geez there are only two or three that would make us a better team. I guess that means we are a pretty solid team.

2. Adam Warwas says:

I was going to follow up with a “My favorite top 10 for the Vikings to look at” type of segment, but didn’t want to make the post that long. So here they are in the comments:

1. Demeco Ryans: I love EJ, but Ryans is a VERY special player. He’d make almost any roster better.

2. Leanord Weaver: An instant upgrade over Tahi at a relatively small price.

3. Stephen Gostkowski: A young franchise kicker doesn’t come around very often. Longwell is getting older, and when he retires, I’ll bet a good young kicker is not available.

4. Antoine Bethea: The safety play has been terrible this year, Bethea would bring a solution for a long,long time.

5. Logan Mankins: Seldom does a guard of this caliber become available at this young age.

6. Darren Sproles: A perfect third down back to replace Chester if he leaves. Also a solid return man.

7. Dunta Robinson: A high caliber corner to let Winfield slide into the slot position.

8. Vince Wilfork: It is going to be hard to replace Pat Williams, but getting Wilfork would almost promise that we don’t even notice a drop off.

9. Abrayu Franklin: Same explanation as with Wilfork.

10. Vincent Jackson: This would allow the Vikings to deal Berrian, and give them a true threat to line up across from Sidney.

• starrc10 says:

We tried to sign Weaver the year we ended up with Thomas Tapeh or whatever his name was! That would be a pretty sweet signing!

Great post!

My turn to check someone’s facts 🙂

It was actually last year that we tried to persue Leanord Weaver. He ended up going to the Eagles and not visiting the Vikings, though the Vikes had contact with his agent.

This all happened around the same time that the Bengals tried to steal Tahi from us.

• Fragile Fred says:

How many of these guys will be tied down by the franchise tag do you think?

That’s an interesting question. The Patriots will have some decisions to make (Mankins, Wilfork, Gostkowski) and the Chargers (Jackson, Sproles, Merriman) and the Texans (Robinson, Ryans, Daniels). Assuming each of those teams use the franchise on at least one player, I could also see Dumerville, Franklin, Seymour, Dansby, and Janikowski as candidates.

It all depends on the CBA negotiations, however. But right now I would say upwards of 7 players get tagged this year.

3. starrc10 says:

I have so much faith in our player scouting! I love it!