Bouncing Back Like Champions Should

Let’s get this out of the way… grabbing crow from freezer… Putting into microwave safe dish… de-thawing in the microwave… Salt… Pepper… Gulp!  This is the best tasting crow ever!

That’s right, the Vikings blew by the Bengals today, winning by a margin of 30-10.

While more detailed analysis will come later, here are some initial thoughts:

• Favre still worries me.  He was 17 of 30 for 192 yards, a touchdown, and a pick.  This is two weeks in a row that this does not seem to be the same Favre as we saw through the first 12 weeks of the year.  It will be interesting to see if this trend sticks.
  • I mentioned earlier that Peterson needs to overcome adversity or else the negative consequences will be too great.  He did just that today.  His 97 rushing yards, 2 touchdowns, and 40 receiving yards proved to be his best game in a while.
  • The offensive line seemed like a mixed bag today.  While their run blocking appeared to have improved, their pass protection lef a little to be desired.
  • 9 penalties for 69 yards at home?  Something needs to change there.
  • Welcome back Winfield!  A team-high 9 tackles, including numerous huge hits and a forced fumble just goes to show why we missed this guy so much since he was gone.
  • What was up with Ocho not doing anything after his touchdown?  Personally, I was disappointed.
  • Play of the game goes to Cedric Griffin rocking Ochocinco.  Sure it was a penalty, but when a guy has a mouth that loud… he has it comin’.
  • Wait another week before forming opinions on Jasper Brinkley.  This game was neither impressive or unimpressive when it comes to Jasper Brinkley, in my opinion.  We will have to wait before we know exactly what we have there.  Benson’s big run probably would not have happened with E.J. in there, however.
  • Could it be that our last pick of this year’s draft will beat out our first pick of last year’s draft?  While he needs to calm down a bit, I liked what I saw of Jamarca Sanford and would be opposed to playing it “very safe” when it comes to inserting Tyrell Johnson back into the lineup.
  • This was the best pass defense we’ve played this year.  Other than the one breakdown which resulted in Ocho’s touchdown, holding Carson Palmer to 94 yards is a huge accomplishment and a huge confidence booster.  The pass rush was effective put not dominant today, which makes the secondaries performance all the greater.
  • Ryan Longwell and Darius Reynaud had very nice days.  Sure, Reynaud had a fumble today, but he averaged 12 yards on 5 punt returns.  Longwell was as dependable as ever.
  • Our special teams coverage was fantastic.  End of story.

So here we are folks, one win (or Packer loss) away from clinching the North.  We’re guaranteed to play in the post season.  What else can we ask for?

This is fun again!

100 Responses to “Bouncing Back Like Champions Should”

1. Johnny says:

Hey Adam, AD broke the rushing TD’s record today, who had the record? I hate it when they dont tell ya whose record they broke

2. Fran the Man says:

I went to town to watch the game and I’m sure glad I did. Great game. AND we clinched a playoff spot.
    Yeah, Favre still has me a little baffled too. He didn’t have great game by any means.
    A couple under thrown balls the pick and still holding on to the ball too long.
    Loahholt, too many tackles and Sullivan didn’t impress.
    I liked Sanford’s play today, no drop off from Tyrell.
    And holey-moley WINFIELD! Man it’s good to have that guy back.

We also kept our 35 game streak of no running back over 100 yards. I thought we were going to lose that one when Benson had 92 with the ball.

When I heard Harvin was out, I thought that would really hurt us but luckily AD and Rice stepped right up with some timely catches. Taylor too.

A great win and just what we needed. Too bad Green Bay won today tho . . .:(

3. Fran the Man says:

I meant to say “Loadholt too many Penalties”

4. Johnny says:

Hey Fran, what was your take on Brinkley?

Hey Johnny and Fran!!! I’m going to have Adam mail me some Crow!!! What a way to bounce back,

6. Fran the Man says:

Johnny, I thought Brinkley played ok. Nothing spectacular. He was out of position a couple times but also made a couple good plays. All in all, he held his own.
    The thing I’m glad to see is our running game getting back on track. AD had the better game but man I DIG Chester Taylor.
    We ran real good against a good running defense.
    I’m siked!

7. Fran the Man says:

Hey purple Charlie, make sure that “Crow” is really crow.
    I wouldn’t trust Adam not to try and slip in a Ptarmigan and say he ate Crow!

8. Johnny says:

Fran, do you know who had the rushing record that AD broke today?

9. Fran the Man says:

I don’t think he broke a rushing record but he did for TD’s in a season. 14, I think.

10. Fran the Man says:

How come my time of post says 6:35pm instaed of the real time, 3:35??

11. Fran the Man says:

Where are you at Johnny? and this is the same “Johnny” as in BigJohnny, right?

12. Johnny says:

Fran. Iowa and yes this is BigJohnny on my Dads pc. Who had the TD record that AD broke? I thought maybe Robert Smith?

It was a shared record between Foreman & Terry Allen.

14. BeltwayBoy says:

You guys are having a great season and this could be the year …. I don’t want to give you the kiss of death so I won’t go there. The key is Favre and I think you guys already know that! Will we see Packers – Favre 3? I would like to see it!

This game was BIG! I liked the smashmouth mentality, The hitting in this game was great.

Welcome back Antoine! That dudes play energizes the whole team. He got us 3 points at the end of the half with that hit. BOOM BABY!

AD was fast today johnny.

What is the real time Fran?

Beltwayboy, you a Packer?

Johnny, I do rember some of them.
    Sometimes I go to profootballreference.com

Ya CC they definitely came to play today and your right, Antoine really raises the intensity level. Were you one of the “got a bad feeling about this one” guys?

Come on lets hear the kiss of death, we’re big boys, we can take it.

As long as its not the old “Favre decline late in the season bit”.

Thats old. Seems like thats all you Packer dudes can come up with.

Yea kinda, I did predict a win tho. I had us winnin by only 2.

Boy was I wrong!

CC, you sensing a packer fan here? I also think the Favre decline crap is old. Today it seemed like Bengals had some damn good coverage.

Agree on the Bengal coverage johnny, they seemed to be all over Rice.

And where was Shank today, I only remember one catch for him.

Anybody else impressed with Reynaud. Man he is shifty and can accelerate, break tackles and change direction on a dime.

• starrc10 says:

I was, I am excited for him to get a little more action in the passing game, he seems like he could be a YAC master 😉

Jaymar was a favorite of mine and I was shocked when D-Rey beat him out for the return man spot… but lo and behold, he is a talented young man.

I like Jaymar too. But Reynaud just seems to have a little bit more. I can see next year Jaymar taking Lewis’s spot.

• starrc10 says:

IDK about that big Johnny, I like this Greg Lewis character too, he has a knack for the ball. Maybe if we jettison BerBar and his contract… Thoughts?

I dont see them getting rid of Bernie. When healthy he is our deep threat. I just think Jaymar has more upside. I agree Lewis is a good player, hell he won a game for us. But barring another high speed ticket, Bernie stays.

Reynaud has been one of the best punt returners in the NFL, save for his injury.

24. starrc10 says:

Adam,

Something I took away from this game, especially early, was how much action Antione was getting at the start. Either the powers that be in Cincy wanted to see how he was feeling after that 6 weeks off or Ced was playing really well on the other side. I tend to think it was the latter, he has been coming on really well since the last 4th of 2008, I am liking this guy more and more.

Thanks for the blog!

Starr, old AK’s and Tombs are awful quiet today. Must not have seasoned their crow well enough.

I wonder why Ocho didnt do anything after his TD? Did ya see after the game, Ragnar signed a horn and gave it to Chad.

Heads up Charlie we won big time. Beleive me I know where your coming from. Wasnt it you that told me you have to have skin like a warthog to be a Vikings fan or something like that?

Aks glad to see you chime in. Playing with your puppy, I havent heard that version before. I’ve heard of spanking your monkey but not the puppy thing. But hey we won big so enjoy yourself. I’m just glad your gut was wrong. I suspect you will predict a victory at Carolina.

Didnt take you for the kind of guy offended by that. Sounded like you were gonna chew me out. But I can understand being in a bad mood after eating so much crow.

Great game. Particularly impressed with rookie and part time players. Am eating same as Adam for my dissing of Darius Reynaud.

Unfortunately, game was marred by presence of Dan Dierdorff and crew. This guy used to be quite interesting in his earlier days when he focussed on line play and such. Finally managed to turn the sound off. Literally added nothing to the game.

Thought key juncture of the game was Bengal coach Lewis deciding to kick a second time with 10:00 minutes left in 4th. These guys didn’t seem to suggest Bengal had any option trailing 23 to 10 at that point.

31. Brendan Engle says:

I don’t know if it is just me, but I continue to be extremely impressed with the maturation of Cedric Griffin. I absolutely LOVE the way he hits, and is really becoming a great cover corner. I think his new found ability to lock down the opponents top receiver has allowed Antoine to play the type of game he is best suited (more of an in the box corner).

Ced blanket Ochocinco today. His only TD was actually one of the few plays Antoine covered him (although I think it was just a great call).. but take away the TD catch, and Ocho was targeted 7 times and caught 2 balls for 12 yards. Ced deserves most of the credit for that.

Johnny,
    Maybe you better go out and bag a few more crows for Adam, Sure he will need more. He He

33. Cslinde says:

Ced-Grif broke Ocho’s nose! That’ll be a fine. But, what a way to send a message all over league that we are a tough team!

Ya suppose Ocho will start keeping his big mouth shut? Would’ve been better if Griff had broken his jaw.

• Fran the Man says:

Did he really break his nose?
      When I saw the hit, I said “I’ll bet that tore one of his ears off.”
      I don’t how many of you guys played football but it hurts like hell to have your helmet ripped off like that, especially your ears.

Griffin is really coming into his own at the perfect time. Guy looks like a player.

Mornin Fran. His nose sure looked broken When they put the camera on him. there was an awful lot of swelling at least. It doesnt seem all that long ago we were really cussing Griffin. I for one think he has really turned it around.

Ocho didn’t break his nose. He just said it got hit by the face mask of his helmet as it was exploding off of his head.

Man that was a good hit.

34. Tomb says:

Top o’ tha mornin’ fellow Viking fans!

MAN I’m glad I wasn’t one of those naysayers who doubted the Vikings bouncing back after last week. That has got to be SOOOO embarrassing.

Winfield. STUD. Anybody else laugh when what’s his mug for the kitty cats did that leaping full twist thing to try to avoid Winfield’s tackle?

What a weirdo, Someone needed to give him the lowdown on what ‘Toine brings to the field:

“Listen, and understand. That Winfield is out there. It can’t be bargained with. It can’t be reasoned with. It doesn’t feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are tackled.”

35. jeege says:

Loved seeing Ced take Johnson’s head off like that.

Go Vikes! I knew they’d bounce back.

GTomb good job at standing up and eating your like a man. I respect that in a man. “thank you sir may I have another” is that what your fraternity made you say?

• Tomb says:

Fraternity?? Nahhhh, I tried to get into a sorority, but apparently having a wiener predisposes a fellar from joining in on the nightly fun of naked pillow fights with the girls.

Was that wrong to say? Sorry Adam. Seemed funny in my head when I thought of it.

Glad you approve Adam. We do not want to filter such funny stuff.

I read somewhere that Sanford had six tackles on D and 3 on special teams. Seems about the same production Tyrell has in 4 games.

39. Fran the Man says:

Hey, me thinks I also just got the 100th post here.