Henderson Doesn’t Own Up

“Your name is all you have,” Erin Henderson told the Pioneer Press on Wednesday in the wake of being dealt a four game suspension by the NFL. “Because of that, I’ve always tried to hold myself to a higher standard.”

Henderson was suspended by the league for violating their performance-enhancing substance policies.

Henderson is not being shy about defending the name he and his brother E.J. hold in such importance.  He insists that he did nothing to deserve the suspension and questions the accuracy of tests performed by the league.

“I’m being punished for doing something I didn’t do,” he said. “I never wanted anyone to run my name through the dirt. So for something like this to mess it up is mind-boggling and really frustrating.”

Before the season, doctors had prescribed Henderson with medicine to help with hives and allergies.  Later, he also had been subscribed some medicine after injuring his shoulder  in a preseason game.  Henderson claims that he insisted that all medications be cleared by the NFL and that all of that was well documented.

“We believe, in my camp, something mixed or something happened in that process that caused me to have a positive reaction,” he said.

A week before his positive test, Henderson passed a test without incident.  Since then, he has been tested “at least 20 times” without any instances either.

“I could have easily served my four games during that time [I was injured] and been done with it, and I could be playing right now,” Henderson said. “But in my heart of hearts, I knew I didn’t do anything wrong.  If I was wrong, if I did something wrong, I would served my four games like a man. I wouldn’t have killed my team, like I am now.”

[Editor’s Note:  Henderson’s absence is unfortunate, but does not “kill” the team.  So don’t freak out, they’ll be okay!]

Henderson has already made his case in the form of an appeal, using a lawyer and toxicologist in his defense, but the NFL denied his appeal due to their “zero tolerance” stance on performance enhancing drugs.  The NFL declined to give comment for the Pioneer Press story.

Henderson’s base salary is about $385,000 for this year, and he will lose about $90,000 due to the suspension, but that isn’t what Henderson is concerned about.

The money I lost is irrelevant. I’m not worried about that,” he said. “The stigma, and the stress it’s caused my family — everybody from back home looking at me in a different light and thinking, ‘Is Erin really doing this?’ — is way worse than any monetary loss.”

“I know what I’m about,” Henderson said. “I have no problem looking at myself in the mirror.”

Now for the “Adam’s opinion” part of this article.

I have my own personal questions about drug testing and their accuracy.  I once had to drug test before starting a new job and thought nothing of it, as I don’t so much as use Tylenol unless I absolutely have to, much less any other illegal substances.

When the results came back, my boss informed me that I had a “negative-dilute” result for an illegal substance.  I was shocked, and anyone that knows me would have vouched for the fact that I have been “clean” my entire life.

Much like Henderson, I was less concerned about the loss of employment and loss of money as I was clearing my good name.  I immediately volunteered to take the test again right away without any time to “prepare.”

A week later when the results came back, there was no trace of the illegal substance previously in question, but instead I tested positive for a steroid.

Now this was even more unbelievable, as anyone that knows me (or has even seen me) would not be able to contain their giggles if they were told I was using steroids.  I am a trim and generally fit human, but by no means am I bulky or anywhere near looking like a gym rat.  The last time I was in a gym during the last four years was waiting for Mrs. Warwas to finish up with her aerobics class.

So, to make a long story short, I personally think the accuracy behind drug tests are hogwash.  And if the league is going to take a stance on such an important (and it is important) subject, then they need to find a process that involves a little less of that hogwash.

NFL players are often tested before, during, and after practices or even in awkward random situations like at casinos or at parties.

During these practices players can be dehydrated from working out or they can be extremely hydrated because trainers are constantly forcing them to drink loads of water and Gatorade.  Fluctuations in hydration is thought to possibly cause drug tests to produce “false positives” like the one Henderson received simply because it appears like they are trying to hide something because their bodies are so dehydrated.

This article explains this by saying, “The situation is further complicated if an athlete has been competing in an endurance sport and is dehydrated or competing at a weight category where they are reluctant to drink excess fluid.”

So, don’t worry Erin.  On at least one little blog, your name is still as good as it ever was.

84 Responses to “Henderson Doesn’t Own Up”

Agree Adam, all this testing is a bunch of crap. The NFL is trying to be like big government is trying to be. They want total control over all aspects of our lives. This testing has become guilty until proven innocent. My God they wouldnt even consider his appeal, what a crock. They still think the Williams Wall were masking steriods. These beaurocrats need to take a long walk off a short plank.

Really interesting article AK, well done.

The biggest problem Fred has with the Henderson story perhaps has less to do with Erin than the credibility of athletes overall. IF the majority of accused athletes stood up and said they were guilty when they were, it would be easier to believe those that said they weren’t. The easy examples are Bonds, Clemens, Marion Jones, pick any other one you want…

The first, second and third reaction of the athletes is deny, deny, deny. Never admit you did anything wrong. Even when caught, explain it must have been in a cold medicine or I had no idea what was in the pill I was taking, I hire a “trainer” for that. You know the dance.

Fred suspects that there may be minor flaws in the system for sure. But until the athletes begin to add some credibility to the systems themselves, they will all be just singing the same tune. “It couldn’t have been me, the man did me wrong”.

By the way, this is not JUST a problem with athletes as we all know.

Freds most favorite quote from an athlete who was sure he had been done wrong and didn’t want to be accountable for his own actions was Wallace Spearmon.

After getting his ass handed to him by Usain Blot in the 200 meter Olympic final, Spearmon was notified that he had been disqualified for running out of his lane during the race.

When being interviewed immediately after the race on TV, the announcer asked how he felt about being disqualified for leaving his lane during the race, with great anger and self righteousness Spearmon indicated that no one told him, he didn’t know.

Unfortunately, the announcer didn’t have the hairs to ask a very simple follow up question that should have been, “you mean no one ever told you in your 15 years of running track in sprint events, that you can’t leave your lane?”

Deny, deny, deny….

5. homeskillet says:

Whats it like here is it nice here? Nobody yells at you here do they?

Welcome skillet! Ak yells sometimes, but only when his wife or dog gets on his nerves.

Freds- denial is the 1st step to recovery.

Home, you’re safe here, and you are at the AV, too, cuz I gave that bill pay guy from Denver “what for” just as you did, so its good on the AV as well.

Good sense from both AK and Freds… as usual. My only concern here with all who have been tested positive is, hey, this is your livelihood. You gotta be very, very careful with what you put in your body. No one is in trouble for eating meat, potatoes, vegetables, water, milk and an occasional aspirin, at least to my knowledge. (Try to avoid poppy seed muffins, though!)

I have no doubt the system is flawed, but this is the one they are using, so you better check in advance if you are gonna take a cold pill or a weight loss supplement. Maybe the system is just trying to control too many substances, I don’t know, but like what happened to Adam, it is a shame if this young man is totally innocent.

• homeskillet says:

Coach if we lock up #2 seed by next sunday do you think we rest our starters against the giants? Even tho we have a bye coming up the next week?

8. homeskillet says:

This is comment #10.

9. Adam Warwas says:

Hey everyone! I made it back last night… though I’m tuckered out.

I have some other stuff to catch up on but wanted to let you all know that I read every comment, and good stuff as usual!

See you all at the live blog.

Welcome, Homeskillet!

home, I don’t like the idea of a total “rest” of the starters. Especially if you have a bye, that would be three weeks before the next time they go full tilt.

I do think you manage personnel and preparations a little differently. You still go with your first unit unless there is a nagging injury, and you still prepare to defeat the opponent. But perhaps you hold back a couple plays you don’t want repeated on film, perhaps you rotate some back-ups in here and there to get them ready in the event of an injury, and perhaps the starters come out a little earlier if you get a lead. But as maybe Chili would put it in NASCAR terms, “You don’t want to let up on that accelerator, lose traction, or lose your position for drafting prior to coming down to the final turn.”

Or, as Herman Edwards so eloquently put it, “You play to win the game!”

Oh, and home, as far as the milestone post thing here at the gab… not so much.

12. homeskillet says:

c.c tricked me into doing a milestone but I wont do anymore.

Looks like Percy is gonna play, so I am upping my prediction to 27-10 Vikes. But with a cautionary warning if we didn’t learn our lesson in Arizona.

14. olderthandirt says:

Welcome back Adam!! I am glad to see you made the trip safely. I hope the missus got everything taken care of properly.

Great to see the gang from OAV steadily moving this direction. Welcome skillet!! This is a good sight, you should enjoy it. Lots of links to other blogs and I love the embedded links in Adams articles. LOL You have to check out his pending live chat blog and click on some of the links, especially the “stupid drivers” one. LOL Great blog AK!!

GO VIKES!!

15. homeskillet says:

I am going with 31-23 Vikes. who would you guys rather see in the playoffs, Iggles or Cards? I would rather face the Cards again, I doubt they would play that well against us twice in a row. Iggles are pretty good.

16. olderthandirt says:

Thanks for the Percy update coach!! He’s my man. I took a shine to him when we drafted him and am glad he is doing well with the Vikes. I hate to see him suffering through those dang migraines though. They must be the pits. I get a wee headache and its two extra strength Excedrins to knock it out in ten-fifteen minutes. I can’t imagine the pain the poor kid must suffer through.

GO PERCY!! Get well!!

17. homeskillet says:

Thanks dirt. Its too bad about the underground AV, I bet when I go back its all cobwebby.

18. olderthandirt says:

I’ll agree with you skillet. I think the Cards caught us on an “off” day. We don’t seem to ever measure up well with the Eagles. I don’t know why, but they always seem to have our number, but this team is a little special, so we may stack up better this time around.

19. olderthandirt says:

What’s happened at the OAV??? I haven’t checked in there since last weekend.

20. olderthandirt says:

I hope Brett and the boys have been doing a few drills outdoors back home to prepare for tomorrow’s game. It’s 15 degrees below normal here, so it won’t be a too fair weather game. It will probably be just above the freezing mark for kickoff time tomorrow. I think it’s only supposed to be mid 40s when the sun is out tomorrow afternoon.

21. homeskillet says:

Its just hardly ever getting posted on anymore. The machines have even stopped attacking it.

I think we had an off day against the Cards but I also think they would have probly beat any team in the NFL that day, they were so physical and intense. But they are so up and down and I dont see them playing like that in the Dome. I think it will be the Iggles in the divisional round and we beat them by a TD.

22. olderthandirt says:

HaHa!!! I have to agree with them freaking out over nothing. You are getting hit early this year. I’m in Raleigh and they just got a dusting of snow and then it poored rain last night. I was amazed it didn’t melt the snow though when I looked out this morning. We were just southeast of the bad stuff.

At least I can get to the airport a back to Minny for the holidays. I’ve been working down in Charlotte the last couple of weeks. Maybe I should have stayed and got tickets for the game.

23. olderthandirt says:

Wow!! Poured rain, not poored. LOL Now that’s bad English. LOL

Skillet!! I hope the defense plays another steller game like last weekend. Antoine was amazing. Brett can just keep managing the game and keep the run going. We should be fine. Vikes 35-Panthers 13 We are due for a defensive touchdown.

Hey Older and Skillet. Older are they getting enough rain to make the field sloppy? That could change things a little. With the size of the o-line it could be our advantage.

25. Distro says:

For Vikings/Packers/Farve Fans.

Super Funny!!

26. Fran the Man says:

Hey good to see you here ‘Skillet.
    It was just a matter of time for the old AV.
    I’m still a little miffed how all that played out. Shoot, I’m bet Chip and Judd lost at least 50 full time posters. And that “Premium” crap!

Anyway, Adam has a great site here and I think we ended up at a good home.

You lucked out Adam, the roads were pretty good in the last 24 hours or so. Supposed to snow some more down here (Which isn’t anything like Valdez) starting Sunday.

I’m watching the Cowboys beating the Saints 14-nothing! I can’t believe I’m saying this, but GO COWBOYS!!

Hey Fran, Cowgirls up 17-3, they gonna be able to knock off those pesky Saints? I’m getting the feeling they are.

Hey johnny, Fran, and dirt. (Is it ok I call you dirt?)

Saints look out of whack. But I wouldnt stick that fork in em yet. Those dudes can score fast.

Vikes win 27-16
    AD gets 150+

Hey CC. Hope your right on AD. Not sure what field conditions will be. 24-3 now, so hopefully we can get the fork out.

Might wanna put the fork down. I feel NO has Big MO on their side now.

31. Fran the Man says:

Damn! They just scored again,
    Pokes 24, Aint’s 17
    I hate the Cowboys.

I hate the Cowgirls kicker as much as Redskins kicker

Yes CC get the fork out.

Homefield not done yet

35. Fran the Man says:

A little window of opportunity opens. . .
    WHO DAT??!!
    THE VIKINGS!!
    DAT, WHO DAT!!!

Yes. but we still have to win.

Perfect tomorrow-
    Eagles and Packers lose, Vikes win.

AD gets 200 & 4 TD’s, Harvin goes for 120 and 2 TD’s. Vikes D gets 5-6 sacks & a score, and maybe a pick or two

And for fantasy reasons-

Fred Jackson gets 100 + 3 TD’s, A.Gates goes nuts for 3 TD’s. Also would like to see D.Driver have a good game with a score.

38. Ole says:

perfect tomorrow

Vikes win
    Freds losses his FFL game to Ole

….. oh, and PBV drives off a cliff

Freds vs Oles in the loser bowl championship.

Your old pal is off to a flying start Oles.

Carters,

Your life is way too complex. That is a lot to ask for for a perfect day.

Freds perfect today –

1) a couple cold Colt 45s
    2) Vikes win
    3) Post game happy dance with Mrs Freds

41. AnotherBlondeViking says:

Morning, Boyz!

Puker-lover Seifert has Green Bay’s “clinch” ahead of our Vikings’ division-winning clinch in his column this morning.

Some might argue that it’s nothing more than sentence structure. I say it’s Kevin’s green and gold coming through loud and clear. I hope his Pukes pee-pee their next games down their legs.

As far as tonight, I agree that it’s time for the Vikes D to score some points off a pick or a fumble. That way eveybody scores, right Freds???

ABV –

Freds never gets shut out. She plays NO defense!

Freds must be a better lover than cb. Hard to believe though.

I see your Mrs takes after you Freds.

I agree with you Blondie about Seifert, its sickening.

Good one CC. Thats was funny and I’ll bet Freds agrees.

Rice says he’s good to go. Posted by Gonzo at the Norseman.

47. briano29 says:

Wow. This place is very nice. At least I don’t feel like a ghost in the machine here . . .

Welcome brian! The gab is cool. Hope you stick around.

Good to hear about Rice, johnny. Hope Harvin is a go.

Welcome from me also Briano. CC, I read somewhere that Harvin should be ready to go, but I cant remember where I saw that. I’ll keep looking.

50. briano29 says:

The above link – Harvin has some more issues. Damn it.

That is really a bogus comment about the team resenting Percy’s migranes. What a moron Florio is! This is not your run-of-the-mill two-Tylenol headache, clown. He obviously does not know the definition of a migraine. It is not just a “real bad headache” that you can ignore. It makes you genuinely sick and unable to perfrom, Mr. Medical Expert.

Boy that comment really hardens my arteries!

Florio is such a hack and really chaps my ass also. I liked the second comment under the post.

52. Fran the Man says:

This thread says it has 57 comments, yet I only see 4.
    What’s up?

I’m getting the same thing Fran.

54. Cslinde says:

Saints lose!! Beautiful game to watch. They are who we thought they were! Hopefully the Vikes smell blood, win out, and the Ain’ts drop one more!

Adam…hey Adam, this thing is busted. Think you could do somthin about it.

Adam must be shoveling snow or making a snowman. So Adam get this thing fixed and give us some updates. Ok please.

57. Adam Warwas says:

I think I got it fixed??? Sorry about that, not sure what happened.

Also, sorry about the lack of updates… have a lot to take care of non-Vikings-related prior to kickoff.

Live blog is a go though… see you there!

Thanks Adam! You the man. Hey bigj, any word on Harvin?

Freds sees Cheech got Freds overnight delivery from Ocho Rios Jamaica for headache relief.

Enjoy Cheech!

Florio… what a richard.

These comments kill his limited credability.

Fellas, easy on AKs, its not like your paying for this site and its not like he’s getting compensated.

Relax Freds, I was just funnin about.

Adam is a great host, and we appreciate him alot.

62. starrc10 says:

Adam,

I will be at a church function until about nine PM again. I hope the live blog goes well, and I will see you guys around half time.

TOUCHDOWN Steelers!!!

I’ll bet Freds is happy, with Joe Buck doin the GB game.

Although seeing the Pukers lose is always an encouragement to my soul, I really don’t care how they do in this game. I don’t even consider us in a race with them, so the FAR more important thing is for us to hang one on the Panthers tonight.

Freds, don’t sell yourself short. I clearly remember you making a tackle once. I’m not sure of the year, but I know I saw it.

66. […] the NFL’s Substance Policy, he refused to admit any guilt, and I believed him.  Some of you may even remember that I went out of my way to defend […]