Another Take On The Favre Fiasco

Here is another unique take on the whole Brett Favre Fiasco.  This one comes from Mike Florio at PFT:

1.  Chilly isn’t in charge, after all.

Well, when you dance with the devil in the pale moonlight, sometimes the devil puts his pitchfork right up your ass.

Vikings coach Brad Childress is walking funny this morning, for that very reason.  In an effort to save his job, he chased quarterback Brett Favre for months, letting the wishy-washy player waffle in and out of unretirement, even though it meant missing valuable time preparing for the season.  And when Favre finally arrived in Minnesota, Childress personally drove Brett from the airport to the team facility.

But from the moment Favre referred publicly to his personal chauffeur as “Chilly,” a distinct vibe emerged that Favre was equal to or above his boss, and that Chilly’s job included letting Favre do whatever in the hell he wants.

It’s now clear that Favre can do whatever in the hell he wants.  Last night, Chilly tried to pull Favre out of the game in the third quarter with the Vikings leading by a point, and Favre refused to leave.

[T]here was a heated discussion, I guess you would call it,” Favre said after the game.  “We were up 7-6 at the time.  No secret, I was getting hit a little bit.  I felt the pressure on a lot of plays.  We had seven points.  So I think everyone in the building was like, ‘They’re not moving the ball, they’re not getting points.’  Brad wanted to go in adifferent direction and I wanted to stay in the game.

“We were up 7-6.  Yeah, it’s not 70-6, but we’re up 7-6.  So I said, ‘I’m staying in the game, I’m playing.’  I don’t know if it was exactly to protect me, or we had seven points, I’m not sure.  That’s his call.  But we talked it out.  We didn’t have time, I didn’t have time to sit there and say why or what.  My response was, we’ve got to win this ballgame and I want to stay in and do whatever I can.  Now, unfortunately, I didn’t do that, but that was my intention.”

But there shouldn’t have even been a heated discussion or a non-heated discussion or any other discussion.  Chilly is the coach, Favre is the player.  When the coach decides to take a player out, the player comes out.

Except in Minnesota, where the coach has created a monster, and the monster has decided to turn on Dr. Frankenchilly.

Last night, Chilly likely backed down in part because he didn’t want the situation to become a distraction, given that Favre tends to run his mouth about anything and everything, especially when a microphone is in his field of vision.  But even though Chilly placated Favre, there he was after the game, bitching about the fact that Chilly wanted Favre to do something Favre didn’t want to do.

It’s hard to blame Brett for this, because anyone who has been following the NFL for the past several years realizes that Brett was just being Brett.  But Chilly knew or should have known what he was getting himself into, and he knew or should have known that bringing Brett into the building means letting Brett do whatever he wants.

Though the experiment has gotten Chilly off the hot seat via a contract extension, this unwanted new dynamic will make it hard for Chilly to justify his new salary with a playoff win — and it makes Chilly generally look like a buffoon.

But, hey, if Brett decides in late August that he wants to play again in 2010, Chilly will be waiting at the airport holding a placard that reads “Favre” on the front and “I’m Brett’s bitch” on the back.

45 Responses to “Another Take On The Favre Fiasco”

1. KevinWI says:

I think I’m actually a bit dumber for reading this…you are sounding alot like a shark that’s waiting for there to be blood in the water…..that is how a Packer fan acts, not a Viking fan.

2. Adam Warwas says:

Kevin, don’t worry… if I find an article stating how this devlopment is actually a good thing then I will post that also. I am not against showing all sides of this thing.

Just haven’t found one yet.

Adam,
    Sorry I didn’t blog in last night, Just had a bad feeling, being a Sunday night game.

Will leave it at that…

I’ve felt all year that Brett was in charge, so no big suprise to me. Everyone looks to Brett to lead the team so this was inevitable when things went South. Brett will have to be the one to turn it around, I dont think Chili is capable.

11-3 you people! We are fine.

The offensive line should be taken behind the wood shed. But then again, I guess that is what we saw last night. Freds doesn’t know zone blocking from man blocking schemes, but what’s happening now, isn’t working. Hasn’t been all year. So try something else ? I don’t know.

If Banjo is changing too many runs to passes at the line of scrimmage, he needs to knock it off. Freds doesn’t care about 3 and outs, just run the damn ball! The Vikes need 25 carries a game minimum.

Childo, this is what you signed up for bringing Banjo Brent to Minneapolis. Don’t lose any hair over it. You’ve taken the good, now this is the bad…bend over buddy. Brent, you are a jackass, show some respect to the coach you putz.

This loss was not on Banjo, our offensive line stinks.

Freds Sunday stars of the day:

1)Mrs. Fragile – why do you think?
    2)Jarious Reynaud – dude is good. Not for the same reason as Mrs Freds however.
    3) Brian McKinney for surviving wind burn as people were running by him all night long.

7. Fran the Man says:

Absolutely disagree Freds.
    This loss is squarely on Childo’s dome.

We knew, from past experience, that McKinney couldn’t handle Peppers. We have seen time after time Jared Allen get double and triple teamed ALL game long. WTF wasn’t ‘Sauce over there helping ALL game?
    They left an overpaid, overweight POS LT all alone, from the start of the game. Then benched him and replaced him with Hicks AND STILL DIDN’T GIVE HIM ANY HELP.
    Steve Smith has owned us every time he has played us. Why no help over the top for our Corners.
    WHY? BAD COACHING.

Childress is not only a poor coach, he’s a gutless wonder. When Favre refused to go out of the game, he should have had him removed.
    Can you imagine ANY QB telling Parcels or Billicheck or most other head coaches “No, I’m not coming out” They’d have killed him on the spot.

Nope, none of this was Favre’s fault.
    He was getting hammered the entire game and the Coaching staff did nothing to help him.

If you listen to Childos presser right after the game, he spent the first 2/3 of the interview blaming the “Blocking and Tackling”
    Never once owned up to the fact that he should have made adjustments (Hell, adjustments shouldn’t have been needed, We KNEW before the game we have trouble with both those guys!) when we saw from the git-go that Peppers and Smith were killing us.

Here me now, believe me later; Childress will go down as one of the worst coaches in NFL history.

• Fragile Freds says:

What do you disagree with Frans? Are you saying our line is good and they played well last night?

Tony Winfield said himself, he played poorly and takes responsiblity for catching on fire. He didn’t say the scheme was poor. He said he tackled poorly and had a bad night.

True the line could of used some help. They sure weren’t provided the support for sure.

Freds isn’t a Chilly lover, but if you follow the facts, Chilly’s record has been better each year he has coached the Vikes. This wouldn’t support your claim that he is on his way to being one of the worst coaches in NFL history. Fred suspects others are in line ahead of Childo.

I knew things were getting bad when Freds wanted to fist fight poor old Ole with his cane. You should be ashamed of yourself Freds. You should mail a box of Colt 45s to Ole and all can be forgiven.

• Fragile Freds says:

Don’t you worry about Ole, he can handle himself just fine Johnnys. Freds wanted to fist fight Ole for kicking Freds butt in Fantasy Football…AGAIN!

9. CalVkg says:

coaching was the biggest problem. we lost to the two conference champs before this, but carolina was a crap team we should have thoroughly beaten. where was the motivation?

we let them have their match-ups be an advantage before the game started because of poor game planning, and did nothing to change that. FOOLISH!

players should obey their coach, but mr. haney has never looked inspirational to me. no fire, no respect. there is NO WAY you take favre out at 7-6, that would be giving up. you do your part as coaches, you make adjustments and try to win the damn game. you take what they give you, run or pass, exploit what you can, try different things. they could’ve given help with blocking, lit fires under their asses to wrap up on tackles, whatever, but you don’t take out your HOF qb in a close game because you’re a pussy, afraid he’ll get hurt

10. G.P. says:

For some odd reason this theory does not suprrise me. Call it intuition, call it a six sense (not the one where I see dead people) the one where I see Prima Donna’s from a mile away. It does not suprise me that there is a possibilty that Farve’s ego and reputation took precedent over the greater good of the team. He is after all Brett Farve, he’s used to people stroking his ego, admiring his “talent” and bending to his every whim.

However, I say this with the true belief that the O-line was horrible last night. There were major gaps in coverage, mis read plays, and all out chaos and utter confusion. Brett might be a diva but if the O-line had brought their A game it wouldn’t have mattered if Brett decided to play like a two year old and throw a fit not to mention a bad game. Football is a team sport one man, even, if his last name is Farve does not entire team make.

Childress is stuck between a rock and a hard place if outside sources were pushing Farve in Childress and there are other circumstances that have caused him to be a Brett’s mercy I feel bad for him. OKAY, pity party over. This is football Childress grow up, grow a pair, be a man and take his butt out. At the end of the day Childress got chumped by an old man throwing a temper tantrum. You are the leader of the team. let me reiterate the idea that the O line wasn’t exactly sparkling last night. Practice that’s all I have to say. There is no excuse for an O-line with that much talent and skill to have played that badly. You are pro ballers start acting and playing like it.

Somebody explain to Freds why Jared Allen says during the pregame intros that he s from the Culinary Institute?

• Fran the Man says:

Dude likes to cook.

By the way, after re-reading your post regards Favre/Childo, I guess I was a little too critical of you.

BUT, I still hold that Childress will go down as one of the worst.
      Yes, we’ve improved (Sort of) every year since the clown has been here but I hold that that is in spite of this guy.
      I don’t have the time to go back and find ALL the terrible calls, half-time NON-adjustments, clock-managing disasters, red flags flying at the wrong times, etc but surfice it to say, it is WAY more than any other coach I have ever seen.
      On top of that, put his mis-placed arrogance and gutlessness out there and you have a horrible coach.

And don’t get me started on his phony DEEEEEP voice and monotone he likes to use at his pressers when putting forth his mindless drivel.
      This guy will take us nowhere and laugh all the way to the bank.
      5 Million a year? Are you freaking kidding me Wilf?

Can you imagine if Childo took Banjo out of the game when they were ahead? That would have been funny as hell. I really want to know why he wanted to pull him out. They were winning for the love of pete! I doubt it was to save him from getting hurt.

Maybe he was “lighting a fire” under one of his stars?

Thats the problem with Childo, he gets that deer in the headlights look and doesnt know what to do. He knew damn well what Favres reaction would be to being benched. He’s used to dealing with TJ, who probably waxes his car weekly.

• Fran the Man says:

I saw the presser right after the game with Childress, then Favre.
      Childress just glossed over the sideline exchange when asked, saying something like;
      “We (Him and Favre) were just trying to get on the same page”
      THEN Favre comes on and says (And I paraphrase)
      “I just told numnuts, F-you, I’m not coming out of the game Baldy.”
      Now those might not have been his actual words but I’m pretty sure that was the way Childo understood it.

Can’t wait for the 3:oopm presser today with Childo to see how he spins it.

But boys, I think we’ve got ourselves that dreaded “Schism” on our hands. . .Yuck, that sounds icky.

Maybe Banjo keeps taking running plays away from AP and AP is getting pissed? AP went to baldy and said, give AP his touches and tell Banjo to stop doing these pass audibles. So Childo takes up for his star running back and says ” listen here, you down home, wrangler wearing waffler, quick changing the 3-2 dive plays to AP and just run the plays as I call them.” Banjo says fine, but keeps changing run plays to pass plays. Childo gets pissed and says “listen here you Kentucky fried jackass, I told you stop changing the plays, your out of the game.” Banjo says, “bite me ‘ya all”. And Childo pisses himself and does nothing.

The way the line was blocking I wouldnt blame Favre for audibling out of some of the stupid plays that get called.

• Fran the Man says:

Hell, Childress was going to take Favre out of the Green Bay game when Favre audibled to a pass play. The play was sent in as a running play on 3rd and 11 and Favre changed it to a pass, which went to Rice for a 16 yard TD.
      Childress was supposedly furious and told Bevel to yank him. Favre again said F-you Baldy (Or words to that effect)

But can you imagine, taking him out of the GREEN BAY game because he audibled??!!
      I’m telling you, he guy is a complete moron.

Agree Fran he is a dildo. I remember being at Childos very first game, preseason vs Raiders. At the end of the game, we were down 4 points with like 15 seconds left and he sends Longwell out to try a field goal. I couldnt believe it, at that time I surmised the he was a complete idiot. I still remember it like yesterday.

• Fran the Man says:

I remember that too BigJ. I thought at the time it was just an aberation.
        Sadly, it turned out to be his M.O.

Well, well, looks like the natives are a little “edgy” today. I guess a complete team implosion will have that effect. For what its worth…
    1. The biggest problem is we can’t run the ball any more. This has gotten progressively worse, and it is by far the biggest issue. It hurts our passing game and puts the defense back on the field too soon.
    2. We are neither as bad as last night or two weeks ago, nor as good as the lopsided wins against Detroit, St. Louis, etc. We are a pretty good team that, like most teams can be beaten when we don’t play well.

3. The season is still ahead of us, good or bad. We can very realistically beat or lose to any team we face in the playoffs. It just comes down to preparation and how we play on that given day.
    4. Favre gave out too much info in his press comments last night. That did not all need to be revealed, and it will now be a distraction this team does not need.
    5. Freds has been watching too much TV to come up with his conspiracy theories about Favre and Chili.

• Fragile Freds says:

Come on Buds, it’s a good take don’t you think?

My old pal Frans you hate the guy because he is arrogant and a bald headed putz. Fred loves the “stream of conciseness” thing Chilly talks about. It makes no sense, the guy makes me laugh. He enjoys that people don’t like him, he thinks he is smart as hell. He talks like he’s the smartest man on earth, but makes no sense.

Frans if you want, Fred will send his new humane society dog up to Alaska so you can kick the crap out of it. It helps, believe your old pal Freds.

Fred loves this drama, it makes him laugh his ass off. Two idiots, both power hungry.

Childo, this is what you asked for…enjoy it! This is why Green Bay wanted him out of there, Banjo thinks he is bigger than the coaches and the rest of the damn team. It’s all good until a loss or two takes place, then the real news about Brent comes rolling out.

• Fran the Man says:

Yeah, go ahead and send that dog up Freds, I could use him about right now.

Just listened to Childos presser; Deny, deny, deny. . .

First of all Florio is an idiot.

I dont blame Bert for not wanting to come out. Very few, if any, do. Especially if your being pulled.

I think Chilly didnt think that thru. Favre is your QB, you wanted him, stick with him. The team needs to know that, as well as the QB.

What I do have a problem with about Favre is this:
    This never should’ve left the sideline, at least not from you. Or any other players or coaches.

Correct Carters!

Johnny:
    I dont see them winning another game this year, sorry

Johnny how many Colt 45s did you have before stating that little pearl of wisdom last night?

Ya Freds I was cryin in my beer a little last night. But considering what we all just witnessed, how would you think any different? Our hearts have been broken so many times before. I have absolutely no confidence in Childo. If we beat the Bears it will be because of the veteran players on the team imposing their will. The Giants will be playing for their playoff life and they did win the SB 2 years ago. So tease me if you will, but I gotta bad feeling about this. ( Probably from all that crow I ate today )

Ok Freds I’ll take your word for it. Just hope for a Beagles loss to make sure.

I know, your shoulda been you’re.

thanks for you’re correction professor

Naw, I got the old 11th grade education Freds. Just hope I dont sound like it too much.

Yea, johnny was singin the blues.

Carters, you are much smarter than your old pal Fragile, never worry about your takes.

Vikes will finish 13-3. Darn good year in anyone’s books. Worst case 12-4. We won’t lose to the Bear and the Giant hopefully won’t matter and we can rest some inflated egos.

Thanks Freds.

I dont like the loss, and I really didnt like the performance. But things are gonna get fun and interesting now.

Now we’re in a fight! Lets see if our Vikes got some fight in em.

I like your thinkin Freds. We need that bye.

26. kevkev says:

This was the “Brent Favre” problem
    that was happening in Green Bay….
    He became the King
    and
    The Coach became the Servant….
    He became sooooo big, that he wanted to call
    the shots……..
    That came to an abrupt end when Brent threw
    the interception and lost the NFC championship
    game in 2007!
    Brent went to his “Private” Locker Room
    Yes His own VIP Private Suite/Locker Room
    and contemplated his retirement!
    Coach McCarthy said run the ball
    Brent said F.U coach…..
    I fell like passing it!

The rest is history…………

Speaking of the Packers, I agree with the name “Psycho” for their defense, because anyone who believes it will work as they see 500 yards of passing amass would have to be psycho.

Whatever. I think this is a good way to look at this-

From a patriot fan over at pft:

patsSB44champs says:
    December 21, 2009 8:50 PM
    This is all much ado about nothing. This happens on every single NFL sideline during every single game. The only reason anyone is talking about this is because the camera happened to catch it and it’s Brett Favre. Naturally, the media has woken up from their latest Favre Wet Dream and jumped all over this.

It’s nothing.

I agree c.c, it basically amounted to a discussion where Chili threw out the idea and Favre wanted to make it clear he wanted no part of it. It is becoming more and more obvious to me that this was not what it was first reported to be. It is too bad Favre said so much about it at his press comments – just shut up Brett.

The season is still in the future, gang.