My Take On The Favre Fiasco

As mentioned in the previous post, Brad Childress was unsuccessful in benching Brett Favre in the third quarter when the Vikings had a one point lead against the Panthers.

Favre was rather upset during his post-game presser.

“Yeah, there was a heated discussion, I guess you would call it,” Favre said. “We were up 7-6 at the time. No secret, I was getting hit a little bit. I felt the pressure on a lot of plays. We had seven points. So I think everyone in the building was like, ‘They’re not moving the ball, they’re not getting points.’ Brad wanted to go in a different direction and I wanted to stay in the game.

“We were up 7-6. Yeah, it’s not 70-6, but we’re up 7-6. So I said, ‘I’m staying in the game, I’m playing.’ I don’t know if it was exactly to protect me, or we had seven points, I’m not sure. That’s his call. But we talked it out. We didn’t have time, I didn’t have time to sit there and say why or what. My response was, we’ve got to win this ballgame and I want to stay in and do whatever I can. Now, unfortunately, I didn’t do that, but that was my intention.”

It is clear that Favre questioned Childress’ attempt to bench him at the time, and he was still miffed after the game.

Now, just to be clear, I have made no secret of the fact that I dislike Brett Favre.  So, some you might say “a bit biased there, Adam?” and I would not be able to deny it.

What I can say, however, is that I have also made no secret of the fact that I dislike Brad Childress.  So while I may be biased in my dislike of Favre, I am equally biased in my dislike of Childress.

So, the point is, I think what Favre did is utterly unacceptable.  There are three reasons for this:

1. Brad Childress calls the shots.  That’s the way it has to be.  I disliked Brad’s game plan this week about as much as I ever have, but he is the boss and has his reasons (no matter how misguided they can be sometimes) to do the things he does.  It was obvious that the offensive line was not going to protect Favre, and thus putting a more mobile quarterback like Tarvaris Jackson may have been the change up that was needed to turn the tide while the game was still in hand.  I think it is safe to say that the Panthers did not game plan for a mobile quarterback.
  2. Again, it is obvious that Childress had no faith in his team’s ability to protect the passer.  Thus, by keeping Favre in the game he was exposing Favre to a scenario in which he is even more likely to be injured than he normally is.  If Julius Peppers decided to make a Favre-sandwich and Favre goes down for the season, then this team would be riding the T-Jack train into the playoffs.  I don’t know about you, but I would rather have T-Jack finish of this game rather than have him finish off the post-season run in the same fashion that he did last year, no?  Favre was selfish for putting himself at risk and thus putting the team’s playoff chances at risk when the guys who was supposed to be in charge told him to get his ass out of the game.
  3. Despite how dim our head coach might be, he is still the head coach.  Undermining the coach just two weeks before the playoffs start is a prima donna move of epically selfish proportions.  Now the question exists… who runs this team?  Brett Favre or Brad Childress?  For Favre to raise those questions at this point is unacceptable and unfair to Childress.

So, while I think Brad Childress would have a head coaching rating (if such thing existed) of 0.001 after Sunday’s game, I think Favre’s selfish ways are now a serious concern that should not be taken lightly.

Then again, Favre knows all too well that the fans and the media will take his side of this whole mess and he’ll come out smelling like roses… and Childress will look like even more of dumbass than he already does.

“My response was, we’ve got to win this ballgame and I want to stay in and do whatever I can. Now, unfortunately, I didn’t do that, but that was my intention.”

If Tarvaris Jackson enters that game, what is the worst that could happen?  They lose?

The words “I want” are not a good enough excuse, Brett.  Next time, do as you are told, sit your ass down, and let Brad take the heat for the outcome.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

14 Responses to “My Take On The Favre Fiasco”

Adam,
    I agree, He’s Not above the team!!! 11-2 Divsion champs, And feel dissapointed…

Last year Andy Reid benched Donovan McNabb, and McNabb didn’t like it either but it still happened. As silly as it seems, it just might have been TJack’s mobility that could have improved things a bit. I don’t know. Favre’s ego clearly got in the way here, regardless of what might have happened. Now, the rest of the team is left to wonder who is really in charge.

Let’s look at the other side though. Had Favre been benched with a lead, and then this score results, ooo-la-la, what would the headlines have been this morning?

Remember, when things are going bad, everything gets magnified. As Lou Holtz says, “Things are never as good as they seem, and things are never as bad as they seem.” Its a good summary of the 2009 Minnesota Vikings.

3. Skee says:

Good post Adam. I really do not like Chilly and I probably like Favre now a bit more than I did. However, you are right about the head coach – he has to be the leader. That being said, any QB in the league would not want to be benched there. We have a tiny lead in a huge game in the #1 seed race, and you are asking arguably the best QB in the game this year to take a seat because you didnt game plan well enough to keep Jimmy K on the line to double the end? If I am Favre, I am pissed too. Especially when I hadnt played that poorly up to that point and wasnt given 4 seconds to throw the dang ball a single time. Shame on Chilly and the whole staff, and shame on Favre, but I cant blame Favre at all for this one.

The problem is that Chili let his realtionship with Favre get in the way of doing his job. You don’t discuss something like this. It takes one sentence to tell a player that he is being replaced. If Chili wants to run a democracy, he should change lines of work. All things considered, I don’t think it would have been the right move, but if that was his choice, then it should not start with a discussion with Favre. What did he think Favre would say? “Sure, Chill, I think a change would be good right now. I just can’t get it done tonight.”

5. CO Vike Fan says:

Hard to say if we’re getting the whole story here – was it chili telling him to sit down or was it more of a discussion about how the game was going?

Bigger story to me is failure of coaching staff to adjust blocking scheme and failure of running game. 12 attempts???? awwwwwful

6. Bismuth says:

When Favre was signed, I wondered if Childress would have the balls to bench Favre if things turned sour. Turns out he does… but Favre’s too much of a prima donna to even listen to him.

Skee – I agree, Favre has every right to be pissed. But that doesn’t mean he should undermine the authority of the head coach. Was benching Favre the right call? I tend to think not, but the proper action to take is to convince him he’s wrong, that Favre should get another shot, not to stubbornly ignore the coach.

7. Fran the Man says:

Adam, good post but I disagree on many aspects.

When Favre rightfully refused to go out, Childress should have suspended him. Right there, on the spot. He hasn’t ever had the balls to do stuff like that and I don’t think he ever will.
    However, THE best move would have been to get our L & R tackles some help. He never did.
    He should have known that Smith would eat us alive and give our corner some help over the top. Never did.
    Where were the slants, draws, screens that could have offset Peppers eating us alive?

And I don’t know if you can call Favre reaction to the suggestion of being taken out of the game as a PrimaDonna act.
    He’s Brett Freaking Favre. He doesn’t come out of games in the 3rd quarter with a 1 point lead.

Our entire team looks tired and beat up. That’s a coaching problem too.

I put this loss squarly on the coaching staff.

8. Viking John says:

The O-line played bad, real bad. Going back on a topic from last week. T Johnson playing safety? He is just not there. Being the run or the pass. Should have left Sanford in at starting S. We need to get our sh*t straight before the eagles catch us for the second seed.
    Go Vikes

9. Aaron says:

My take was pretty much exactly like this as well. I almost … ALMOST … wanted to see TJack in there. Good post.

10. Tommy Yarbrough says:

I can give everyone 5 main reasons for the loss. M-O-N-E-Y.

11. kevkev says:

This was the “Brent Favre” problem
    that was happening in Green Bay….
    He became the King
    and
    The Coach became the Servant….
    He became sooooo big, that he wanted to call
    the shots……..
    That came to an abrupt end when Brent threw
    the interception and lost the NFC championship
    game in 2007!
    Brent went to his “Private” Locker Room
    Yes His own VIP Private Suite/Locker Room
    and contemplated his retirement!
    Coach McCarthy said run the ball
    Brent said F.U coach…..
    I fell like passing it!

The rest is history…………

12. [...] Vikings Gab: VG came with a good take on the recent Favre/Childress fiasco. I pretty much agree with all these points, and would have typed it myself, but it doesn’t have enough jokes about fetuses and poop, so you should just go read it there instead. [...]