Interesting Draft Note

I decided to take a break from updating my mock draft this week, but it hasn’t kept me from continuing my research.

Upon doing said research, I came across an interesting nugget.

The internet’s leading authority on the NFL’s compensatory draft goes by only AdamJT13.  He has a knack for predicting how the NFL will assign picks despite the secrecy that surrounds the process.

I long suspected that the Vikings would receive two fifth round compensatory picks this year after they allowed Matt Birk and Darren Sharper to leave via free agency and were very inactive in free agency (the Favre signing doesn’t play into the formula because he was “cut” by his former team).

I do know that the highest pick the Vikings could receive for each of these players is a fifth rounder because they are both above the age of 30.

What I didn’t realize, however, is that the signing of Karl Paymah will cancel out the possible compensation received for Sharper.

AdamJT13 explains the reason on this thread (don’t forget to look at page 2).

So there you have it folks, the Vikings gave up a late round draft pick for Karl Paymah.  Was it worth it?

26 Responses to “Interesting Draft Note”

1. PJD says:

Well, technically they didn’t. I mean, it was a pick they never really had to begin with, so they let Sharper walk in free agency, had a different safety that was already on the roster take his place, and then just signed a guy to play CB, which in the end prevented them from having 3 5th round picks instead of 2 now. Considering it’s a 5th round pick, of which the Vikings still have 2 now next year, and saved a ton of money in the process by not resigning Sharper, I’d say I’m ok with it.

True, they never had it… yet. Had they decided to hold off on signing Paymah to a one year deal then they would have another 5th rounder this year. Besides almost single-handedly losing the Ravens game for us, his impact has been pretty minimal.

I know some good fullbacks and centers that will be available in the 5th this year.

Paymah was signed to be a special teams player, not to be the next Fred Smoot. So I can live with it.

3. Nume says:

This has nothing to do with this article, but on the Favre/childress issue, this is an article from pioneer press that I agree’d with completely :P:

4. Nume says:

Err other than the Dilfer being one of the best QBs thing…

Thanks for the link Nume. Pretty much what I’ve been thinking.

6. G.P. says:

Worth it…um perhaps. I say this because Paymah is not my style. I don’t think he’s aggressive, agile, or quick enough to be a great CB. However, he does stand to be of some value for the vikes. He’s familiar with the Vikes style of play and special teams may stand to gain something from his presence. I’m apathetic towards the whole thing. Losing him would have not have been a huge loss but I don’t think keeping him is bad either. I mean true another pick in the draft may have been nice but I’m going to say that Paymah is uh sorta kinda worth it. Cause Bob knows we need some work on special teams.

7. Adam Warwas says:

Hey everyone, back from work and wanted to let you know that I’m going to go back through and try to answer questions and comments on some of the recent posts.

scan back through to see my reactions

8. G.P. says:

You’re right Warwas I wasn’t thinking for a minute. I mean I just feel kind of bad for Paymah he tries. It’s not his fault he’s a bit slow.

Top things quoted next week by the Chilly haters after the Vikings beat the Giants:

1) The Vikings won because the Giants mailed it in and had nothing to play for.

2) The team won in spite of Chilly, not because of him.

3) The Vikes beat the Giants because Farve changed all of the plays Chilly sent.

4)After the offense scores 35 points, people will still be mad at Chilly’s offense….too conservative, should have scored 48!

5) After a starter gets hurt, ” how could Chilly be so stupid as to play his starters at this point of the year, its all about the playoffs.”

6) Chilly is bald

7) Chilly Philosophical quotes will still make no sense, And cause the stomach to churn…

Both excellent additions by Charlies and Krugs

#9 Of course we won, no one ever said we wouldn’t win once in a blue moon. (Enjoy the blue moon tonight, everyone!)

• krugjr says:

Happy New Year, Coach!……..speaking of 2010 and beyond, do you see ANY possible chance of Favre staying on staff with the Vikes after his playing days are done? In other words, will his “loyalties” return to GB, or might he choose to stick it to Thompson for years to come by calling plays and coaching QBs in the land of the Purple?

GO VIKES!!!!!

13. CO Vike Fan says:

As much as Brett can play, I think he’d make a pretty lousy coach. Just don’t think that ego would allow him to communicate well with players that don’t have his talent and feel for the game. Something along the lines of “those that can do, do. those that can’t, teach”

pretty rare that you see a superstar player be able to coach. there are exceptions of course (ditka comes to mind)

• krugjr says:

good points, CO…….my own question brought this to mind…if we win it all, the euphoria might be enough to keep the “family” together for a couple more years….but if we fall flat in the playoffs, ie, brett/brad differences, then the breakup will be swift and cleean…..well, maybe not so clean!

GO VIKES!!!!!

Another exception, of course CO, was a former long-time Viking head coach… 🙂

I would tend to agree that Brett would not make a good coach or front office person. Not sure he would be good at it, nor likely he would enjoy it. He’ll just go back to his jeans and tractors in ‘Sippi.

• krugjr says:

coach…..believe you’re right about brett….not only ride his tractor, but make millions in advertising while not having the “headaches” coaching brings……..

I just keep thinking of him wearing the headphones and sending in plays to some new young gunslinger……Jeff, that would be fun!

GO VIKES!!!!!

14. Viking John says:

I have a question for the compensatory picks for the players lost. When was the last time that the Vikes received a comp pick? It seems like the Vikes have more free agent signings make the team than late round draft picks. I guess Sanford and J Johnson have made the team and they were late round picks. Some guys that have made the team that were not drafted by the Vikes. Hussain, Henderson, Reynaud, Cooper, J Leman, etc. Some draft picks that are no longer with the team. Allison, McCauley, Blue, Alexander, Booty, etc. It goes to show that their is talented player that don’t get drafted and some players that are drafted don’t stick.
    Everyone have a safe New Years. I will be at home drinking 45’s and eating crustaceans.
    Go Vikes
    Go Cowgirls

15. briano29 says:

Chilly is bald?

#10) Make a goatee out of the rats nest, Shave the head, Gets rid of the clown hair.