Reynaud Raises Questions

It would be completely unlike me to let the Vikes get by with no criticism for the week.

And no, I’m not going to be one of the nay-sayers talks about how the Vikings couldn’t have lost that game if they tried because the Giants were so injured and had nothing to play for.  Just ask the Broncos how that theory worked out for them yesterday against the Chiefs.

No, the one negative aspect I came out of Sunday with was the sudden lack ball security coming from punt returner Darius Reynaud.  Reynaud fumbled two punts and bobbled a third.

Jeff Feagles, punter for the Giants, was perhaps the only G-Man that didn’t take a three hour nap on Sunday.  He is perhaps one of the best directional punters in football and has a knack for cornering return men near a sideline and within range of the gunner.

Reynaud will hopefully have learned a valuable lesson yesterday.  That lesson being that he should not be afraid of making a fair catch when necessary.

This is something that is easily coached in the next two weeks and I would be very surprised if this becomes a real issue in the long term.

9 Responses to “Reynaud Raises Questions”

I dont remember Reynaud ever having a problem catching the ball. That was strange to see him put two on the ground. I bet he was looking upfield before catching the ball

Yea, that cant happen in the playoffs. He needs to understand that.

I’m betting it will get mentioned off and on next week.

4. fozz44 says:

I think he’s getting a little overaggressive in trying to make something out of nothing on those plays….which requires perfection in cathcing the ball and simultaneously looking for your opening, all while 3 guys are breathing down your neck.
    Someone needs to tell Darius to know when to hold em, know when to fold em…..an extra 8 yard punt return in a playoff game means nothing, a lost fumble does.

The other concern is how Jasper Brinkley is going to hold up at MLB in the playoffs.

This is the 2nd year we lose EJ at a key point. This really hurt us last year in Wildcard.

Maybe Frazier can come up with strategies to get Jimmy Kennedy and Brian Robison onto the field in running situations. Five man fronts?

6. CO Vike Fan says:

Maybe he was getting tired – he did have to field 7 punts

7. krugjr says:

off the subject, but I was wondering how
    hooozeyermamma is doing this week!

GO VIKES!!!!!

8. Tomb says:

Perhaps he’s just big into moisturizing chapped hands, due to the Minnesota winters.

Someone needs to ‘misplace’ the bottle of Jergens in his locker for the next month.

krugs,
    I’m thinkin, He’s thinkin he wished he had signed the dotted line in Minnesota. he he