First Roster Moves Of 2010

The Vikings retained all of the players on their practice squad by signing them to futures contracts.  The players are Safety Colt Anderson, offensive tackles Patrick Brown, offensive tackle Chris Clark, offensive tackle Drew Radovich, running back Ian Johnson, defensive tackle Tremaine Johnson, wide receiver Vinny Perretta, and cornerback DeAndre Wright.

In addition, the Vikings signed three more players to futures contracts: receiver Taye Biddle and running back James Johnson.  Biddle was signed to the practice squad once before in 2009.

Most of these guys will be considered “bubble” players when training camp cuts roll around.

Keep an eye on guys from the CFL making the jump to the NFL this time of year.  The Vikings signed Kenny Onatulu about this time last year, and he proved to be a decent upgrade to the special teams.

The hot name coming out of the CFL this year is Ricky Foley, who tied for first in the CFL this year with 12 sacks despite numerous injuries.  Cameron Wake was the big name last year and worked out pretty well for the Dolphins.

17 Responses to “First Roster Moves Of 2010”

1. Tomb... says:

I thought Radovich would be a contributor to the Vikes OL by now.

Can’t figure out how I was wrong about that.

Somehow Freds is at the bottom of it, I just know it. Damn you, Smooter.

Contrary to popular belief, Freds is pulling for Tim Tebow, Freds just doesn’t believe he will go in the first round.

Oh no…..

• Tomb... says:

Yeah I saw that on PFT, Freds. That’s some funny shizzle, right there.

I love strife, when it’s not purple based. Now we can all talk about the Jags “schism” if they draft the anointed one.

3. jeege says:

Did any of you see his senior bowl footage?

He looked awful. I cannot see how any of his skills translate to NFL QB.

They just don’t.

He can’t pass. He can’t take a snap. He lacks coverage reading ability (or so I’ve heard). And he played in a pass-wacky offense for four years at FL.

He is not an NFL QB.

TE maybe…or even running back! But no way will he play quarterback. No way.

jeege, its his leadership and work ethic that people like. I havent heard too many brag about his qb skills.

• jeege says:

Leadership and work ethic are only great in conjunction with superb talent. See: Peyton Manning; Drew Brees; Brett Favre; and UGH Tom Brady. They all work harder than everyone else. They all have great leadership qualities and demand the respect of their teamates.

And they can all knock over brick walls with their cannon arms. (Or in Brady’s case, put the ball where it needs to go accurately. Hate the guy, but I have to admit he’s got some distinct skills)

Leadership and hard work are not enough in the NFL. You need intangibles too. Unless you are a special teamer/fullback/tight end.

Freds is NOT to blame, of that I am sure!

Hey guys, I’m listening to the song “Beer for my Horses” last night, and it sure made me think how much I enjoyed beating the Cowbuts. (I know…, I have issues!) “… cuz justice is the one thing you should always find, you gotta saddle up your boys, you gotta draw a hard line!” Believe me, justice was done when we wiped that smirk off Jerry Jones face. Yeeha! Sure we pissed away the SB trip, but at least we got a bit of payback for Hail Mary.

• Tomb... says:

I have a sneaking suspicion said beer never made it to said horses, eh Coach?

Nothing gets by the Tomb-meister!

But we did hang some Cowbuts high from an oak tree, ‘eh my man? Left ’em swingin’ in the wind, so to speak.

• Tomb... says:

Tomb-meister…nice.

Atta boy Coach, a little Thursday afternoon libation session can be good for the soul, and keeps your liver on its toes.

…and yes, we did some serious damage to ol’ Jerry Jones and the boys. Which is good because–as we all know–every time Jerry Jones smiles, an innocent little puppy contracts Ebola and dies an excruciating death. Every time he laughs he creates 17 more terrorists.

• Purple Charlie says:

Yeah Coach,
      That’s Always sweet!!!
      Neighbor on the left is a Cowgirls fan, The one on the right, Pats fan and Packer fan… Nice guys, Crappy teams!!!

Guess you got the upper hand in your neighborhood, Charlie! Nice. I’m gonna guess my neighbors are into soccer or something. They are not regular people, if you know what I mean. Not a crew cut among ’em!

Tomb, I did not know that about the JJ smile/laugh, but I am not surprised. I always knew there was evil in that man’s pleasure. So… we saved some puppies in the playoffs… that makes me happy.

• Purple Charlie says:

Need to save them puppies in 2010, We play the slugs again…

5. Mark S says:

I did find it interesting that the Vikings signed all of their practice squad players to these “futures contracts”. I am not sure what that entails but I thought the Vikings would try and add some PS players after the draft this year. I think you can only have 8 so I am not sure how many will sign with us.

One other thought I had about this is I believe that the Vikings are loading up to move up in the draft. I think they want Bradford and would move to #5 Kansas City or #8 Oakland. Oakland makes the most sense because they do not have a first round pick next year.

The Vikings will still have plenty of room to add competition after the draft (or before).

This doesn’t tie them down at all and is a very normal motion to go through. Other than small financial committments, there is no reason not to sign the PS players.

6. […] admin wrote a very interesting post today.   Here’s a quick excerpt:The Vikings made their first real moves of the 2010 season, and will probably inspire little more than a yawn from even the most hardcore fan. The Vikings retained all of the players on their practice squad by signing them to futures … […]