Big Pat Thought To Be Coming Back

Defensive Tackle is thought to be one of the Vikings top offseason priorities because of the likelihood that Pat Williams will retire soon, and because Fred Evans and Jimmy Kennedy are both at the end of their contracts.

However, just as I was starting to say to myself that Pat Williams would have announced his retirement by now if he was going to do it this year, I found a little nugget that pretty much confirms it for me.

Mike Wobschall at Vikings.com was asked about Williams in his Monday Morning Mailbag, and said that he thinks Williams will be back.  Now, this may seem like nothing more than one man’s opinion or hunch, but I have been reading Vikings.com every day for about five years now and seldom does Wobschall speculate on anything.

Thus, I believe he knows something we don’t and is nearly certain, if not absolutely certain, that Williams will be back for 2010.

Now, if this turns out to be true and the Vikings are able to retain Jimmy Kennedy, then defensive tackle is suddenly not a very pressing need.  Sure, they’ll eventually need to replace Pat and this would be a good time, but they would not be in a position of desperation, which frees them up to draft for value instead of need… which is always good.

12 Responses to “Big Pat Thought To Be Coming Back”

Freds would like to see the fat man come back for one more year. We saw a decent drop off from last year to this in Pat’s play. If he comes back, Fred wouldn’t be surprised to see a new starter this coming year. He may have a few miles left on him, but not many.

Jimmy Kennedy (in past interviews) credits this coaching staff for his career turnaround. Freds would be surprised to see him go elsewhere.

Bring on the draft!!!!

If nothing else, we need big Pats presence in the locker room. He seems to be a great locker room guy. I agree Freds, Kennedy will stay and keep improving as well.

• Purple Charlie says:

Well Johnny, So much for yesterday… Mrs PC was sad for a while last night, She is over it today… God bless her!!! ( I know I wouldn’t if it was me !!! )

Hey Charlie, I feel for Mrs. PC. But she sounds like a strong woman so you got that going for ya. Lets hope big Pat gets his butt in shape this year and comes back.

3. krugjr says:

good……now we can grab a CB like Robinson in rd 1 and OG in rd 2 like M Johnson!

like freds says….bring on the draft!!!!!

freds….your thoughts on trading McKinnie???

GO VIKES!!!!!

Krug, I will post my preview for guards on tueday but I’ve already written it. One major part of that is how much I like Johnson if he is availble in the second round. The guy would fit great on this O-Line.

Robinson might be a stretch in the first, though… IMO.

• Purple Charlie says:

Krug, Start of the new season, On board and ready for the draft!!!

• krugjr says:

Charlie, it’s still hard to let go of this year, eh……lot’s of that “should’ve, could’ve been us” talk with Purple fans…..at least AD, Berrian, BC, Brett and the whole team know how it feels to be one mistake away from the big dance…(ok, ok, Brett already knows what that feels like)….that being said, it is the new season…..I love the draft, but free agency comes first, and it’s pretty complicated this year…so we’ll see what Spielman and Childress (and the Wilfs) come up with first, then we’ll get into who might “drop” to us at #30!

GO VIKES!!!!!

• Purple Charlie says:

Krug,
        I know, When the teams were on the sideline during the pledge, All I was thinking about was that!!!

Water under the bridge my friend, Alot of restrictions because of being one of the final 8 teams this year, But I’ll give credit to them the way they done in the past… + the draft!!!

GO VIKES!!!

4. krugjr says:

Adam,

congrats on a good year…..glad Ole told me about your site….good to hear from “the gang” now and then! looking forward to your position posts!!

GO VIKES!!!!!

Phat Pat nearly ate himself off the team this past off season. Surprisingly little talk about the dreadful condition he showed at training camp. He started the season slowly and played himself into shape.

Not sure the Vike will allow him to pull this again. Could be a difficult decision coming for the team