More Confusion About The Confusing Rules Leaves Door Open For Trades

I recently posted an item about confusing uncapped year rules and mistakenly said that the Vikings would not be able to trade for any player with more than six years of NFL service.

This is wrong.

The rule is meant to ban final-four teams from trading for players that are unrestricted free agents this year.  In other words, if the Vikings wanted Julius Peppers, they could not convince a team like the bucs to sign Peppers and then trade him to the Vikings.

They can, however, trade for any other player (such as Donovan McNabb) if they choose to do so.

Thanks to ProFootballTalk.com for the clarification.

7 Responses to “More Confusion About The Confusing Rules Leaves Door Open For Trades”

1. Tomb... says:

This reminds me of the time I tried to solve a Rubik’s cube. It made my head hurt and I ultimately got nowhere with it.

When nobody was around watching, I used a screwdriver to pop the little squares off and reassemble it correctly. I wish I could apply a similar principle here.

And why don’t you fess up to what you did to the neighbor’s kitty while your at it, Tombs? A good, full cleansing of the soul can do wonders.

I just wanna bring the same team back and play the Saints this Sunday. What does the CBA say about that?

• Tomb... says:

That cat had it coming. It kept eyeballing me. I found that to be rude.

Not sure about the CBA, but here’s what Shiancoe had to say about it:

Shiancoe says there “might be a little extra out there” when Vikings play Saints
      Posted by Mike Florio on February 16, 2010 5:11 PM ET
      During the 2010 season, the Minnesota Vikings will return to the Superdome for a rematch of the NFC title game, against the Saints.

And Vikings tight end Visanthe Shiancoe recently told Howard Balzer and Dan Leberfeld of Sirius NFL Radio that the Vikings will be looking to exact revenge against the Saints for the illegal hits the New Orleans defense applied to quarterback Brett Favre in the NFC Championship.

“When you’ve got teams like that and defensive coordinators saying those types of things publicly it just creates a little turmoil, I feel, a little animosity,” Shiancoe said. “So it all depends on who it is placed upon and how they react to it, man, but we didn’t like that too much, of course. Especially being that it was Brett, it’s unnecessary hits and a little bit of extra. So, you know, we play these guys again. It might be a little bit extra out there.”

Like teammate Ray Edwards, Shiancoe says he didn’t realize that the Saints were applying “remember hits” to Favre. And Shiancoe says he would have done something about it, if he had known.

“That’s what I’m trying to tell you, is that I didn’t know it was going on because usually I was in a route or stuff like that but after the game when I seen all that definitely I probably would have said something to our defense,” Shiancoe said. “And, like, that’s the truth. I would have said something to our defense about it and it would have been damn chaos out there. It would have been a war out there.”

It’s just another reason to hope for the NFL and NBC to schedule the Vikings to visit the Saints on September 9, as the first game of the 2010 regular season.

• Purple Charlie says:

Coach,
      Sounds like the Vikings are going to do the same thing to the Saints that Tomb did to that Cat!!!

I’ll second that motion coach. Those Saints deserve payback, bigtime.

4. krugjr says:

it would be an unfair fight in august….most of the saints will still be hung over!