Speculation Of L.T. Joining A.D.

Well, I guess it is that slow time in the NFL offseason where any player released will be rumored to be heading to the Vikings.  If nothing else, this speculation gives us something to talk about during the days in which no real news-worthy events are happening.

The Chargers released running back LaDanian Tomlinson on Monday and he is now free to shop himself to the 31 other teams in the NFL.  The “Final Eight Plan” does not restrict the Vikings from going after players that are simply cut (instead of having their contracts expire on March 5th) and thus there has already been much talk of the Vikings trying to land L.T.

Both Mike Florio at PFT and Kevin Seifert of ESPN have started talking about it.

On the surface, the speculation makes no sense.  Why would the Vikings bail on a 31 year old running back that is widely regarded as being “fresh” because of his years of being a backup and instead turn to a 31 year old running back who is widely regarded as “done?”  After all, Chester Taylor is familiar with the Vikings offense and could probably be retained for a comparable price to that of what it would cost to sign L.T.

There are aspects of the thought that make sense, however.  Tomlinson may be able to cut the Vikings a financial break if he really wants to join a team that is poised to make a run at getting that elusive ring.  L.T. may be able to have a positive influence on Adrian Peterson.  Not to mention the pure bliss of seeing two of the best backs of their generation in the same backfield.

Also, by letting Taylor leave the Vikings would have more freedom in free agency than if they re-sign him.  Also, letting Taylor leave may result in a 2011 compensatory draft pick (no higher than 5th round).

So, there are both sides of the coin.  To me, it makes sense for the Vikings to bring in some youth at RB via the draft if they let Taylor leave, but what do you guys think about it?

65 Responses to “Speculation Of L.T. Joining A.D.”

Pass! Next rumor please.

In with the new, out with the old.

No offense Buds.

Sorry Freds. Offense already taken. Actually, old is not so bad. You know what they say, “The older I get the better I was.”

I gotta agree with Adam and Freds. We have some promising and young blood on the roster already and will probably use a late round pick on another. I love LT but he’s past his prime and injury prone.

I say pass on LT. Resign Taylor, unless he wants too much $.

Hey bigj!!

How the heck are ya?

CC, I’m doin ok considering the shape I’m in. My doctor told me if I take excellent care of myself, I’ll get very sick and die. Just kidden, thats one of my favorite Rodney Dangerfield lines

I wonder if the Smooter would be interested in ending his career as a back-up RB? I never saw anyone better at avoiding a tackle.

Coach, that was the funniest thing I’ve read in quite some time. Great comment

• c.carterhof says:

Yea Coach, that was very good.

Oh, just saw your old buddy over at the old AV. I think he’s lookin for ya.
      I think he really has a thing for you. I’m not kiddin. Might wanna keep the old ballbat handy.

Oh no c.c, you don’t mean… dang. I really have come to despise that guy or gal or whatever it is. I know the best thing to do is ignore, but it’s so easy, you know, like passing against the Rams.

Thanks for lettin’ me know. I’ll go over there and see if I can clean up the mess.

8. coolio says:

i dont know much but wouldn’t it be nice to have one of the best rbs ever to help peterson become better and teach him how to do well. maybe help him with his problems……………..fumbles

Come on now Buds, like Freds old mammy used to say, if you’re going dish it out, you’ve got to learn to take it.

Julio,

Believe Fred when he tells you, not knowing much never disqualified anyone from stating his opinion in this place. Take it from a guy who really doesn’t know!

Nice to have you here.

PS your a damn kook if you think having a broken down old Charger will help Adrian hold on to the ball.

Again, glad your here!

Not exactly president of the Welcome Wagon committee in your community, ‘eh Freds? (a damn kook? Sheesh!)

Welcome, coolio. You may not know much now, but that is about to change for the better if you stick around here. Let me start by schooling you on the fact that nothing a blogger named Tomb posts has any truth to it whatsoever.

See, you’re smarter already.

I’m gettin’ too good at takin it, Freds. My boys have a list of reasons to remind me I’m gettin’ old. As soon as I remember where I wrote their phone numbers down, I’m gonna call ’em and give ’em what for.

Does anyone think LT would want to come to the Vikes? I can’t see why either side would want that to happen. Just keep Chester and work on some areas that need the work. We are just fine at RB.

Honestly Fred can see why he’d want to come here, the prospect of winning a Superbowl would keep the mouths shut of those who say he can’t be a great one, he never won a Superbowl. The giant egos of the likes of Moss & LT need to be validated. They come to realize they won’t win so they try to piggy back off a winner. The Pats got a number of good players this way.

…and let me just say here that one Fred Smoots never stooped to that sort of motivation. He is above such vanity and ego. He is happy shuttin’ down WR’s for anyone any year!

We need to draft that running back from Stanford, Toby Gerhart. Show us some old school Larry Csonka running.

Your old pal Fragile had the occasion to spend a little time with old busted nose Larry one day. My man tells a very funny story about Dolphin kicker Garo throwing that pass in the Superbowl that got picked off and run back. Larry is one big mother. This dude would have looked good in your grind ’em out offense Grant.

• Fran the Man says:

You’re right about the ‘Zonk having some great stories.
      I guided him on one of his ESPN shows a couple of years ago. He sat at the bar one night and really let loose with some great stories.
      Of course I never let on that I hated his guts.
      The cad was the MVP of the ’74 Super Bowl when they beat the Vikes.
      He had the audasity to sneak behind my bar one night and deface a vintage Viking penant with the following;

“Rich,
      Too bad about ’74 hahaha, Larry Csconka, #39, H.O.F. ’87”

If he wasn’t such a big dude, Id have kicked his ass!

That was a fun week. He brought along Chuck Leavel, the long time key boardest for the Rolling Stones. Killed alot Ptarmigan and Ducks thast week.

Oh yeah, Freds. I woulda taken Larry into the fold. That dude busted our chops good on one of those bad days I try not to remember.

15. Nume says:

To me, if LT would be willing to come it would be a great deal for the vikings. He is one of the most complete backs to ever play the game, and I think he would be perfectly suited to being a great 3rd down back at this stage of his career. He’s a great blocker, and pass catcher, and if AP has a game where he cant hold onto the ball, wouldn’t it be great to be able to throw LT in there? 😛 This is all contingent on getting favre back or some other proven QB. I may be crazy, but to me it seems like an amazing deal for all involved :P.

• Fragile Freds says:

Numes,

Freds agrees with your comments, but, Fred would change just one word in your second sentence. Let’s change “is” to “was”.

Overall, it seems difficult for Vike to improve their personnel. Last season we felt we were on the way up. Vike weren’t particularly active in Free Agency after losing out on Housh. Rosenfels, trade for a 4th, was top acquisition.

Difficult to improve when you’re a top eight team and drafting #30 overall. For 2010 draft Vike have 1124 draft points. Lion have over 3200.

Do the math. Vike, with all seven of their picks, will have 40% less Draft purchasing power than the average team.

Churning of Chester for an LT (or whomever) would allow Vike to be more active in Free Agency. Will it make Vike a better running game? Creating more holes up front would seem to be the more direct route.

17. Nume says:

Which could also be helped by getting LT and letting chester go :P. They could use the loss of the unrestricted free agent taylor to sign an olineman to help with the run blocking. I dont know, LT may not even be interested if he cant be feature back, but to me it almost seems like the favre situation last year with a probably HOFer who is “declining” and has been spurned by their old team, going to a situation where they dont have to do as much and have a great shot at winning a championship. 😛

18. […] as a new backup to Purple Jesus. Offering their takes on this today are danzinski on Viking Age and Adam Warwas on Vikings Gab, and both bring some interesting points to the table. The former is for the most part against the […]

19. Tomb... says:

LT to the Vikes?

No, no and HELL no.

I mean, I realize he’s the classiest guy he knows and everything, but no thanks.

20. Todd Flaxton says:

WATCH THE LAGUAGE!!!!

~T

21. krugjr says:

freds is right…..Gerhart in rd 2….

BMAC trade in rd 1 if impact OL available…then CBs, Ss, LBs, DTs…..

offense will take care of itself, I want a def that scares the hell out of OCs…

GO VIKES!!!!!

LT = Shaun Alexander II

Krugs,

Gerhart yes, round 2, no.

Round 3.

• krugjr says:

don’t think he’ll last until bottom 3 (after combine) so I guess it’s back to the ol’ BPA in rd 2…….Gerhart would be a gift at #90!

GO VIKES!!!!!

• Fragile Freds says:

Krugs you might be right, he may not fall to the bottom or round 3, but he’s a luxury for us to pick at number 60. We have a few needs that have to be hashed out in round 2 (corner, offensive line, QB), we just can’t waste a pick on a luxury.

Unless the Vikes have some dude they think is a game changer at 30, it would be nice to trade down out of the first round, pick up other picks and perhaps squeek out Gerhart with an additional pick? Ahhh screw Gerhart, if we’re going to take a flyer, pick up a QB in round 3, heck we have to solve the problem at some point!! Tebow! Tebow! Tebow!

Here are some more sides to the RB coin.
    Vike have had difficulty substituting between AD and CT without tipping off the D on playcall. But staying w/ CT may be a better option than just calling in a pass catching RB. Unfortunately, the FA contract rules mitigate against best option (reupping CT).

Some have speculated LT would help cure AD’s fumbling problems. How does that work? What am I missing here?

Viking O isn’t looking to replace CT w/ carbon copy. May want to give Percy Harvin more playing time and freshen up the offensive design. CT was expensive as a multi-purpose guy but he brought 1) OK blocking, 2) speedy run and 3) pass catching. Vike probably want stronger blocking and may be prepared to give up some ground speed. Maybe they want a short yardage specialist type like Denny had w/ Bad Leroy Hoard? With Percy in the mix for more playing time it could become more complicated but also more diverse.

25. MoC says:

Well I think the Vikings should sign LT because they will need all the help they can get with the Packers poised to take the NFC NOrth this year.

• Fran the Man says:

That’s pretty funny stuff;
      “Packers winning the NFC North title.”

Damn, I about blew coffee out of my nose. . .

I see the Eagles cut Westbrook. You suppose Andy Reid has his eyes on Chester?

With LT comments about AP being a Complete back, You wouldn’t see him coming here, New Blood as quoted would make more sense, I would like to see Albert and Ian step up this year myself…

And Coach, I can’t believe you opened Pandora’s Box talking about Tomb and Freds. Wow!!! he he he

28. Fran the Man says:

I don’t see us picking up LT either.
    Why? Even if we lose Chester, we’ve got a couple good RB’s in the wings with Albert and Ian. Not to mention the ‘ol fumbliator. . .

IF Banjo is coming back, this team will be a passing team even more than last year. Al and Ian will do fine, heck they’ve been around long enough, get in ther and produce as a back up boys!!

Freds, Mr. Favre will be back. Was that a joke or do you really want Tebow in 3rd round?

• krugjr says:

johnny…..I think Brad’s already looking at Canfield, Skelton and Crompton for the future…just a guess!

GO VIKES!!!!!

• krugjr says:

johnny….same here, don’t watch much college either….trust my top 3 or 4 sites, and friends, for evaluations….guys I mentioned are big, strong-armed, accurate and smart, just smaller schools or “system” QBs……gotta love the draft….who finds the “diamond in the rough”????? al I know is we still don’t have our QB of the future, and haven’t had ever since Brad arrived…

had a 12 men in the huddle nightmare last night

• krugjr says:

Gerhart in rd 2 was only if Taylor left and we signed a def FA…..I admit it, I’m also a Tebow fan….he’ll go in the top 75, probably rd 2……but I keep thinking of Brad (he moulds clay) Childress and how he likes his clay to have arm strength and “great mechanics”……doesn’t exactly make Tebow Brad’s kind of clay, does it?

GO VIKES!!!!!

Krug, I just look at T-Jacks mechanics ( awful ) to think Childo thinks he can mold his qb no matter what. I dont follow college ball like I should so I dont know much about the guys you spoke of. I’ll start a crash course on the players between now and the draft.

Krug, what sites do you rely on for draft prospects?

30. coolio says:

anyone hear that brian westbrook just got released

Vike probably want CT back but the RFA rules make this a sacrifice. Then there is the tension w/in the Vike coaching staff on the direction of the offense.

CT brings 1) OK blocking, 2) speedy runner and 3) passcatching combination. This helps disguise Vike O intentions when he’s in on 3rd downs. Hell, coaches & QB can’t even agree on whether we’re a running or passing team. How can the Defense tell?

Idea that signing LT will reduce AD’s fumbling isn’t worth a comment

32. krugjr says:

15 DRAFT BOARD INSIDER 79.0 74 82 81
    16 FOOTBALL ROOM 79.0 74 80 83
    17 WAR ROOM REPORT 79.0 74 80 83
    18 GREAT BLUE NORTH 79.0 73 80 84
    19 MEL KIPER jr 78.7 76 80 80

thehuddlereport.com $10/yr well worth it and the only one I pay for

gbnreport.com great blue north great stuff and “draft links” in left column gives you more info than you’ll have time to study

nfldraftcountdown.com very good, and free

yr after yr, very accurate top 100 (3 rounds)
    without having to pay $30-50/yr

I like the way thehuddlereport does profiles from film…can you imagine that!

most early profiles on thehuddlereport…draftcountdown starts profiles soon….gbn I use mostly for daily news and links….

glad the draft is going prime time….they’re taking away our internet at work..my, my, my!

• Fragile Freds says:

Krugs,

Who the hell needs the internet for work? Fred sides with your bosses. Times are tough man, step up and support your employer!

Fred happens to know your employer will be rolling out this new technology soon.

Don’t be one of those typical union slappies.

• krugjr says:

ya know, they brought some of those to the Sat AM sales meeting and I was wondering what they were….bosses just kept using the phrase “social networking” and passed around those rocks…..

Thanks a million Krug. I like to see Kiper down on the list. Cant believe he’s not further down though. What happened at work? Too many employees getting caught using the internet during work would be my guess. You gotta love Freds technology, that was kind of funny.

• krugjr says:

johnny…..car (surfboard) dealership, that’s for Ole…..owners can’t figure out how to get customers to come in through marketing anymore, so we commission sales people are now to be their “new” marketing….get off the internet and go find us some customers, and we’ll pay you…………………….nothing!

topic for another day……outta here

Adam, to think you started all this with a rumor about LT!!!!

GO VIKES!!!!!

33. Ole says:

no to LT, no to Westbrook. We have Dugan!!

good luck to my old buddy Krugger. Maybe its time to move back to Hawaii and sell surfboards

34. krugjr says:

not gonna rule it out…wife needs the climate, son loves the ocean, and every week that stayed at 0 degrees made me want to retire in your back yard (literally)!!!!!

ALOHA…..GO VIKES!!!!!

35. Tks…

Great information! I’ve been looking for something like this for a while now. Thanks!…