Gab Scouting Report: Toby Gerhart

Strangely, ever since joining Vikings Gab and the time commitment that goes with it, I have gotten further and further away from my original passion which is scouting college prospects.

However, the recent slowdown in NFL news has allowed me to play some catch up.  My plan is to offer up some abbreviated scouting reports in regards to players that may seem to be on the Vikings radar on these days when there is not much else to talk about.

With all of the running back talk going on lately I decided to kick it off by giving you my opinion that I have recently been looking at very closely.

A few weeks ago I heard a rumor that the Vikings were paying very close attention to Toby Gerhart at the Senior Bowl and then recently read some comments from readers that seem interested in Gerhart.  Even before that talk, I almost put Gerhart into my mock draft as the Vikings second round selection.  So, what better time than now?

Toby Gerhart, RB, Stanford  (6’ 1” at 235 pounds)

POSITIVES

The first thing people think when they watch Toby Gerhart run the football is “holy crap, that dude is big.”  That’s because he is.  His large frame, powerful strength, and ability to churn out yards after contact are his biggest attributes and he has promise as an NFL caliber short yardage back.  He is also very solid when it comes to pass protection.

One thing that scouts always struggle to identify in these young men is their “character.”  Gerhart has made it easy for them in his case, however, as he is a high-character, highly competitive, and hard working young man.

Normally an injury history would be considered a negative thing, but Gerhart came back from a knee injury so convincingly that it may have actually boosted his stock.

NEGATIVES

Gerhart is not going to wow anyone with his speed or moves.  He has limited athleticism and agility.

Gerhart obviously plays towards his strengths and takes tacklers head on instead of trying to elude them.  This often looks impressive when watching his film, but one has to wonder how he would hold up against NFL linebackers instead.  His upright running style will make him a far easier target at the next level than he was in college.

He doesn’t have much experience in pass catching and will probably not offer much of a threat on passing downs.

He also has trouble securing the football and may be susceptible to stripped footballs.

FITTING INTO THE VIKINGS

Something tells me the Vikings feel they may have enough runners with “flash” in Adrian Peterson and Percy Harvin.  They may want to find a guy that can grind it out between the tackles and boost that third down percentage.

On the other hand, Gerhart’s potential fumbling issues combined with limited upside (will never be a complete featured back) may cause the Vikings to hesitate on picking him unless they get great value in, say, the fourth round.

HIGHLIGHTS

20 Responses to “Gab Scouting Report: Toby Gerhart”

1. […] running back Toby Gerhart, and as fate would have it, the lovely people at the Gab happened to scout the fellow on the same day. It’s a real mixture of good and bad points with this guy from the report. On the one hand […]

I’d rather have this guy at fb than Tahi.

3. krugjr says:

Adam…..yup, we have the flash, let’s have one roster spot for a Gerhart “type”…..

GO VIKES!!!!!

Krug, I started going through those sites you posted and man that can be very mind boggling. I dont think I’d want Studwell or Speilmans job.

• Fran the Man says:

What about Childress’s job? Would you take that one? (PLEASE?)

Fran, you would trust me to take Childos job? That would be great. I would get most of my advice from the guys here at VG for sure. But I think our resident coach, B. Grant, would be a better choice.

• krugjr says:

johnny…..semi-joking with my sales buddies yesterday, I wondered how much money they have cost me by introducing me to the NFL draft back in 2002………but, at least with the entertainment, I have kept my sanity……some would argue that!

GO VIKES!!!!!

Gotta love the draft!

4. Fran the Man says:

I don’t know Adam. . .I just can’t see us using a 2nd round pick on him. Much more pressing needs on the O-line and D-backs.
    I agree tho that he’d be a great pickup in the later rounds.

Johnny,

Just take the job, it would be fun as hell calling you names and being critical of every single move you make.

I’m sure Buds would be your assistant head coach, he could provide any advice you may need. Just make sure he gets his nap each day from 1:00 -3:00 pm.

Cmon Freds, you would never call your old pal Johnnys any bad names or be critical of me. I would even gives Fred a job, tackling coach or how to be a shutdown corner coach. Freds would also be in charge of entertainment.

Ouch! Jeez, Freds, that’s a little harsh. My afternoon naps never last more than an hour, and the pre-Mrs. Grant evening meal nap is 20 minutes max. Now, Johnny goes and pays me a nice little compliment there, (thank you, sir.) and then BOOM, Freds comes on the scene.

6. Fran the Man says:

I watched the video on Gerhart. the guy is a bruiser, that’s for sure.
    I loved it when he took a pitch out, started running to his right, then stopped and tossed a TD pass to a guy in the endzone.

Can you imagine how effective that could be with AD??

7. matt mahle says:

toby is not slow so shut up he runs a 4.5 he is a HB. just watch hes going to beast it up. ihate peaple that think he is slow just becaues he trucks peaple