Gab Scouting Report: Daryl Washington

This is the second Scouting Report of what will hopefully be many.  I am not really doing these in any particular order, but rather just trying to help you all get familiar with prospects that I think the Vikings will have a strong interest in.

Daryl Washington, LB, TCU (6’ 2” at 225 pounds)

POSITIVES

Daryl Washington is a born leader with the talent to be truly great at the next level.  Solid speed, good ball skills, elite tackling ability, very sound technique and footwork, intelligent and instinctive, ideal range, and production are all traits that are currently present in Washington.

In fact, there are very few knocks against him in general, and there is little doubt in my mind that he is one of the most “sure fire” and “NFL ready” prospects in this draft class.  At the very least, he would be considered an immediate upgrade to any organization’s special teams unit as this was a highly productive area for him in college.  He even notched four blocked punts because he has unusually long arms.

NEGATIVES

He’s a bit undersized compared to the prototypical NFL middle linebacker, but is versatile enough to play on the outside as well until he fills out a little more.

There is also some concern about the fact that he only started 15 games in college and that the lack of experience could delay his development.

FITTING INTO THE VIKINGS

I consider linebacker to be a bigger need than many of the “experts” have let on.  E.J. Henderson may not be back in 2010 and both Ben Leber and Chad Greenway are entering contract years.  At his age, Leber may not be a lock to return after 2010.  Plus, if the last three years have taught the Vikings anything, it is that you can really never have too much quality depth at linebacker… not to mention special teams.

Washington would immediately upgrade the special teams unit and also be in competition with Jasper Brinkley for starts at middle linebacker.  If that doesn’t work out, then the extra range that Washington would provide may even put Ben Leber into an impromptu competition.

I have no doubt that Washington will be a solid player in the NFL for many years.  I do wonder if the Vikings agree with me in that linebacker is a big enough need to consider spending a first or second round pick on the position, which is where they will have to snag Washington if they want him.  In fact, I think it will have to be with their first rounder because there is no way Washington makes it past Miami in the second round.

This is just another example of why I wish the Vikings had about six second round picks in this draft.

HIGHLIGHTS

37 Responses to “Gab Scouting Report: Daryl Washington”

Fred seems to be higher on Casper Brinkley than our host here a VG. Fred thinks back to EJs first 3 years, terrible would not be an over statement. People were freaking out calling for the execution of EJ…remember?

If we stack up year three of EJ, versus Casper Brinkley, year one…the rookie did pretty well. Not great, but pretty well. Time will tell on Brinkley, but LB is not a now need, take a flyer late, but not in the 1st or 2nd.

Give up pick one, trade down! Fred repeats, trade down!!!

2. Adam Warwas says:

Actually Freds I really like Brinkley… and sometimes in an effort to be “fair & balanced” probably come off a little tough on him.

I do think that E.J. injury and Leber’s contract year are the bigger issues here, however, than Brinkley’s play. Answering questions one year ahead of time is something the Vikes like to do, and next year Leber (and Greenway) will become sudden questions.

Agree about trading down… unless a steal is available at #30.

3. coolio says:

Im a big nba fan too so im just wondering. once people are drafted do teams trade them. ex. oj mayo for kevin love on draft day in the nba

Coolio, that only happens on rare occasions in the NFL.

The only real occasion I can think of was when Eli Manning refused to play for the Chargers. The Chargers drafted him anyways, as they had a deal in place that immediately sent him to New York under the assumption that New York would draft Rivers and exchange him with San Diego… in addition to draft picks which were used on Shawne Merriman and Nate Kaeding.

The Chargers got the better end of the deal in the long run (IMO) but it was Manning being unwilling to play for the Chargers that made it happen. Nobody really knows why he refused to play in San Diego… maybe he wanted to play in the NFC so he’d play his brother less often.

Coolio,
    One trade comes to mind, Giants, Chargers, Eli Manning and Phillip Rivers…

5. Norseman66 says:

We could get a extra first round pick if we could find some sucker(team) to trade there’s for McKinney or I’ll take even a high second rounder for him. Just a thought.

6. Adam Warwas says:

That’s why I think the pick for McKinnie has to be in the top 20… after Okung, Bulaga, Davis, Campbell and Brown there is a very steep dropoff in LT talent… and all five of those guys could be gone in the top 20 picks.

AK –

I appreciate your fair and balanced approach. It’s much easier for your old pal to be critical of someone else than to come up with his own thoughts. Hey, Freds never sets the bar too high for himself. Except with the ladies…..shut your mouth johnny!

By the way, why does Freds have this awful feeling about Okung? Dude has flooperoo written all over him. Every time this dude plays anyone good across from him, his butt gets burned. Great tools, wonderful against lesser guys…heck, sounds like our current left tackle.

• starrc10 says:

That’s exactly what I thought as I was reading your comment, Freds. “sounds like McKinnie” then you said it.

I say if we draft up we draft Bologna. Iowa guys are a good fit for this team and gives me more to talk about with all these Hawkeye fans I live around.

I promise to read every single one of your scouting reports Adam, these are excellent. Keep’m comin’.

9. starrc10 says:

I did not realize how many transactions we have already had this offseason, even if it was just signing them to training camp. I would still like to see Ian on the active roster. What do you think of us going into the season with just Albert and Ian behind AP, Adam?

Starrcs,

Freds thinks Al and Ian are both capable. We see them during preseason and they look fairly good. Freds may be in the minority, but assuming the don’t get Geheart and assuming Chester goes, we should activate them both. We need some straight line runners to get some hard yards, both can do this.

• starrc10 says:

Smooters, I think we are in complete agreement, which is rare since your so opinionated and I am so ambivalent. Congratulations to us.

I would agree that Ian and Albert are plenty capable of a backup role… but Taylor was a step or two ahead of those guys and downgrade at RB is not the first choice… it will be avoided if at all possible.

I am neither opinionated nor ambivalent. I am presbyterian. So probably can’t agree with either of you very often.

With only a couple of months to the draft, time for me to begin my all-out crusade for offensive lineman… and there are few linemen more offensive than BMac, I must say.

Do what you gotta do to upgrade the OL, and keep an eye out at safety too. I would sure hate to see Chester go, but guess you guys got it figured where that can help us, so do what we must do I guess.

Yes, fat, steroid infested and mean!! Two of them please!

oh, and without dependence on a weight loss supplement.

Anybody else think maybe we should just let Kleinmeister finish his career as a tackle? Run a few tackle eligibles and he’ll get the same number of receptions anyway. He certainly has the face for OT, and can actually move if the DE decides to change direction. I say we move JK to LT and move BMac for anything offered to us.

Agree coach. I’ve noticed whatever tackle Jimmy covers, he does most of the blocking anyway.

• Purple Charlie says:

Johnny- Case closed, Jimmy K is the new LT…

• Purple Charlie says:

Johnny, We aren’t in position to get one of the top OT’s in the draft, I would really like to get a OG that takes Herrera’s spot,to open holes in the middle, And has Hutch’s Attitude… 3rd round, 4th round possibly??? Who do you like???

Charlie, no we arent in position to get a top LT in the draft now. That’s why we need a top 20 pick for Bmac. And as far as OG, I’ll leave that up to Adam or one of our other fellow VG guys that follow college ball closer than I do.

• Purple Charlie says:

I’ll 2nd it Coach, I’m tired of BMac period!!!

In 1973 we drafted Dave Winfield in the 17th round, then let him go to the San Diego Padres. I believe we got a nice set of Padre tumblers in return, so that would be another example of draft-and-trade, right Adam?