Gab Scouting Report: Donovan Warren

[Editor’s Note:  For more Gab Scouting Reports, click on the “2010 Offseason Tracker” tab at the top of this page.]

Donovan Warren, CB/S, Michigan  (6’ 0” at 185 pounds)

Warren is one of the larger corners in this draft class, but his attributes are not all physical.  Despite his size, Warren has deceptive speed, a great closing burst, excellent run support instincts, experience and confidence, versatility to play safety if needed, decent hands, impressive fundamentals, and a knack for tackling.

His knack for playing press coverage and ability to take away half the field has caused him to draw some comparisons to Darelle Revis.  He will not be the fastest guy to run at the Combine, that is for sure, but he is a complete corner who has had success in coverage, runs topping, rushing the passer, creating turnovers, and even scoring from the defensive side of the ball.

The first thing that will cause Warren to slide will be that he has a tendency to give up the big play.  He is known to play kind of like Benny Sapp did prior to 2009, meaning that he can be over-aggressive at times causing him to gamble and lose or even draw unnecessary penalties.

Last year I was disappointed when the Vikings selected Asher Allen in the third round (which sparked this epic argument between me and G.P. in the comments section) mainly because I felt the Vikings needed to find some size at the corner position and that Allen represented “more of the same” as yet another undersized corner.

A year later, my opinion has not changed too much, especially with the Vikings biggest corner Cedric Griffin needing time to recover from his ACL injury.

Size is not everything, as we all know, and one’s ability to stick that toe in the turf in a split second and jump three feet into the air is far more valuable than being two inches taller.  In my opinion, Warren has both.

Regardless, I think Warren is an excellent fit for the Vikings because of his ability to play on an island with big and speedy wide outs and also his prowess against the run.

Draftniks have Warren all over the boards, anywhere from the top 15 picks to the bottom of the third round, but I am sold on him as a first round pick for the Vikings if he is available.

All of his flaws are coachable, he has the measureables one looks for, and it is hard to argue with his college production.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Submit to Digg  Stumble This Story  Share on Twitter  Post on Facebook  Post on MySpace  Add to  Bark It Up  Submit to Reddit  Fave on Technorati

28 Responses to “Gab Scouting Report: Donovan Warren”

1. Skee says:

I live up here in Michigan land, though I am a Spartan, so I got to see him play quite a bit. I really do like this kid, especially his ability to tackle. Boy could we use more of that. He would be a great selection.

Agreed, this dude is good. Have seen him on several occassions. If the Vikes take him many will be critical that they took him too early. Problem is that he won’t be there in round 2 if they really do want him. He is more of a number 45 pick than a 30. Doesn’t mean they shouldn’t take him, they hopefully move down to get him and pick up a later pick as well.

But Freds still hopes they go with a fat guy in round 1.

Right Freds! And besides, what’s this big deal about a corner being able to tackle? Isn’t that why we have linebackers?

• Purple Charlie says:

Ditto Freds,
      On the Fat Man. Need someone to open holes and pass protect too.

This draft is suppose to fit our needs Defensively according to Mike Mayock, So go get them in the other picks.

Wow! That was quite the exchange between our pals Adam and GP. I guess they werent pals back then. We also need to remind Adam of the “C” grade he gave to the Harvin selection. I can smell the crow cookin.

I would like to think this whole scenario is something like…

Brad: So, Brett, what are you thinkin’?

Favre: I’ll let you know after the draft, Brad. I must tell you that I may be swayed by the number one pick being someone who might be able to help avoid a repeat of what I experienced in the Louisiana Dome.

Brad: but Brett, we were thinkin’ maybe…
    Brett?… Brett?… hello?

Coach, I can see that exact scenario happening word for word.

Yeah, Johnny, I’m afraid that one of the key considerations for Favre could be the beating he took in that game. Let’s hope the drive for the trophy overshadows that.

• Purple Charlie says:

Coach, I watched Paul Allen on NFL Network, He seemed to think that Brett will think about that interception and it will eat at him and he will be back…
      Lets hope so

5. G.P. says:

What up boys?! Hey bigjohnny long time no see. Hope all is good in your world! Now to break things down Warwas, Warwas, Warwas, It is not uncommon for rookie corners to have slow first years. It’s a tough and demanding position. I stand behind my boy and say that Asher has yet, to come into his own. When he does lookout kid is a straight beast! Double A is the deal you just don’t know!

Hey GP good to see ya. Did you see AA on Vikings weekly? And all is well in my world except for an insult from Freds every now and then but that’s all good.

• Fragile Freds says:

Come on now Johnny, you know your Freds old pal!

Freds, I said it was all good. I will take a bullit for my pal Freds, I would jump on a live grenade for my pal Freds, do I need to say any more?

• G.P. says:

Hey Johnny!Glad to hear your world is running smoothly. No, unfortunately I missed seeing Asher on Vikings Weekly. I must be slipping hahaha. I’ve just got a few more priorities it’s a busy time of year for me. so, some things just fall through the cracks. I’m sure our boy did well.

Hey G.P.
    Have a feeling your boy Double A will step up this year and Benny Sapp too…

7. olderthandirt says:

Good Evening Boys,

I loved the link to the “epic argument”. This was before I was aware of “The Gab”. I always got my info from the AV before things began breaking down there. Now this is the place to come.

Chilli was singing at the combine. Here’s the link to the press conference.

And here is the link to what the hell he’s singing about,a much better version, the original here.

Oh boy, That’s our coach…

Thanks for the link Dirt. Childo will never cease to amaze me.

10. olderthandirt says:

The guy has a way of talking in circles. That’s for sure.