Peterson Trade Keeps Popping Up

Nothing makes me worry about the state of public education more than reading comments from football fans on some of the bigger sites out there.  I guess not every blog can have a group of such well-informed and reasonable readers as this one does.

I bring this up right now because I have noticed quite a few Vikings fans calling for the team to trade Adrian Peterson away in hopes of addressing other needs.

This speculation is not reserved for the unintelligent, however, as one of my favorite bloggers, Vikes Geek, recently penned an item that encourages the notion that the Vikings could reverse the fortunes of the 21 year old Herschel Walker trade.

Allow me to tell you why this will not happen.

First, much has changed in the NFL over the last 21 years.  The free agency era has made blockbuster trades of this nature almost nonexistent.  Teams are not going to give up eight draft picks for one player when they know they may be able to wait just one more year to fill their need via a free agent signing.

Second, running backs are a dime a dozen right now.  Despite some teams (Seahawks, Chiefs) seemingly never being able to claw their way out of running-back-hell, there is a surplus of talented runners on the NFL market right now.  A serviceable, temporary option is always available until you can get the guy you want without investing too much.

Third, the 1989 Cowboys had not had a winning season in three seasons and few people would argue that they didn’t have a “nucleus” to build around.  Walker wasn’t going to single-handedly win them a championship, so he was sold to ensure a better future.  The 2010 Vikings do have nucleus to build around and while there are some needs, there is nothing so pressing that a risk like this needs to be taken.  Peterson, in fact, is a big part of the existing nucleus after helping pull the Vikings out of the heap of mediocrity that they planted themselves in during the middle of the decade.  The Vikings are a win now team, and bringing such drastic transition to the offense could set this team back a ton.

Fourth, Peterson is still being employed on the cheap, relatively speaking.  Considering that he is entering his prime with two years left on his rookie contract, the Vikings could remain his employer at a relatively cheap price through the duration of his rookie deal.  Assuming there are no ridiculously distracting hold outs in the near future, the Vikings could let him play out his rookie deal, franchise him the following year, and get at least three more years out of their “Top Three” running back.  Three years down the road, when Peterson is beginning to exit his prime, then perhaps we can have a more serious discussion about dealing him away.

Fifth, if the goal is to get Brett Favre back in 2010, then dealing away the part of the offense that keeps it balanced is not an appropriate strategy.  Getting rid of Peterson would be the exact type of thing that could keep Brett content with retirement.

That’s my take.  I don’t see this happening any time real soon, but perhaps I’m just blinded by the fact that I don’t want to see it happen ever.  Let’s see what you all think about it.

22 Responses to “Peterson Trade Keeps Popping Up”

1. krugjr says:

Sixth, the Wilfs love him…….at least they did before the last three fumbles!

GO VIKES!!!!!

Krug, he he… I have to admit, I was mad at him for a while myself…

Adam, You make perfect sense, Never happen…

I see the poll has a 100% no. I read Vikes Geek yesterday and I was a bit suprised. He usually makes more sense than that.

There aren’t many out in the Webisphere who on a regular basis say really stupid things as often as your old Pal Fragile does. However…. Fred has never even heard this rumor before and whoever subscribes to it is a complete richard.

The Vikings are inches from a Superbowl and we are going to gather picks for what? Depth? The future is now, we aren’t “building” for anything. We win this coming year, end of story, we have the players, they need to execute. “Slippery fingers” Peterson is a start who the Vikings need right now. His value is on the field not on the trading block.

Now in two years, given the right offer, Freds would listen. Chargers probably wish they would have traded LT a couple years back to get something before he broke down.

Now on to more important topics. Jennifer Garner is hot, however, she has “dingy” ears, Fred advises to keep the hair over the ears Jen.

Once again the wealth of wisdom coming from our pal Fragile Freds. Hey Freds do you think a good old cattle prod would help with McKinnie?

Cattle prod? Dude is pretty big Johnny, you better be ready to run.

Guess I’ll have to plug it in to a 240 volt outlet. And freds you should be the one to do it. As fast as you backpeddle, he’d never catch you.

6. krugjr says:

freds, humor me……..why do you think AD went from, yr 1 (will be the greatest football player of all times and break every record that has ever been or will ever be) to, this yr (fans yelling BENCH HIM during second half of NFC champ game)…..catch phrase “8 in the box” not allowed in response….

GO VIKES!!!!!

7. Adam Warwas says:

“9 in the box.”

8. Adam Warwas says:

So, I got an idea from the Daily Norseman’s recent mock draft that involved their readers…

What do you guys think of setting aside a certain time and use the live chat function to do a mock draft… with selections being made by the “polls” feature I used frequently during live chats?

For example, a poll would pop up that says, “with the 1st pick the Rams select…” with choices to vote on like Clausen, Bradford, Suh, McCoy, Berry, and Okung? Then move onto the next team with a new poll?

Let me know what you guys think?

Sure, count me in.
    There will be no trading of AD, not this year.

10. krugjr says:

I know what you’re sayin’, freds, about “built to win now” vs “block buster trade, rebuilding”, etc………I just felt Geek’s article, which I read last week, was actually a good read…..3 first rounders IS a chance to take 2 “starters” (lineman) and a QB of the future in exchange for AD……so when you measure how long it will be before we will draft in the top 10 again, and IF AD’s career levels off, like so many former Broncos, the article was an interesting read during slow times……I’m still wondering how Brad is going to come up with a QB that will keep us in the hunt for the title! Other than a Brees, and we passed on that one, franchise QBs are hard to come by………Geek calling it a H Walker trade in reverse was probably a bad choice of words….

GO VIKES!!!!!

11. krugjr says:

Adam….great idea on the mock……just hope I’m not pushing metal when we’re on the clock!

12. krugjr says:

latest quote from Big Ben….”It all depends on what the meaning of is is”…….good luck to the Rooneys!

GO VIKES!!!!!

Adam, Mock idea sound like fun…

14. Purplereign57 says:

Yes indeed…Freds and his infinite wisdom. ‘fraid not. This would only be THE most insane thing to ever happen up there. I don’t know who richard is either, but he must be a really stupid guy. I concur on freds analysis. Here’s how I see it. Solidify the secondary, #1, with a big ol’ mean Steve Atwater type. If Edwards goes, that’s a hole and a half to fill. That’ll have to be somebody that can kick #69’s ass, but that Jared loves. We all know that NO ONE can kick Jared’s ass. Sign LT, get #4 back, get rid of McKinnie and replace him with a man that wants to win a championship as much as Brett does, whether or not he comes back. I’m not afraid to say it either, that I want him to come back so much it aches my head and my heart. I’ve loved the game , and the Vikings all my life, and that’s since their inception, win or lose. That’s not to say that I haven’t been mad as hell at ’em plenty. We all know how true that is. Freds is right. It’s a game of inches, and we are mere inches away. Do your thang, Ziggy. I’d also like to say power to any citizen in any state that is supporting efforts to keep the Vikings in Minnesota, and the efforts to build the new stadium. I’ve lived in NC most of my life, but I still BLEED purple, baby!
    SKOL VIKINGS!!!