Vikings Are Sticking Together

If you are one of those people that believe continuity is important, then you must be fairly pleased to see how the Vikings offseason has played out.

The Vikings have retained each of their free agents except for three.  Those three are Artis Hicks, Karl Paymah, and Chester Taylor… all second stringers.

They also signed a kicker.  The math would tell you that there are really only two roster spots left to fill before additional players begin to ensure intense competition in the upcoming training camp.  It is four spots if you figure that Cedric Griffin and E.J. Henderson may not be available at the beginning of the season.  Call it five if you are one of the few that think Brett Favre will not return in 2010.

The Vikings also have a full arsenal of seven picks, soon to be eight if they get a 5th round compensatory pick like I expect them to.

There are some restricted free agents that could still be pulled off the Vikings roster, particularly Fahu Tahi and Ray Edwards, but that is a bridge that the Vikings will cross when they get there.

Regardless, there has been little movement this year.

Don’t forget, click the “2010 Offseason Tracker” tab at the top of your screen to get a detailed breakdown of the entire offseason.

13 Responses to “Vikings Are Sticking Together”

1. Fran the Man says:

Great report, as always Adam.
    A bit more optimistic than I feel right now.
    I’ll feel a whole lot better when Favre signs on. If we land LT (And he has something left)
    and have a decent draft, I’ll start looking forward to another Super Bowl run.

I missed the mock draft. Had my snowblower breakdown and spent the day in town getting it back on the job. I like the idea of a CB for us at 30. Not knowing if ‘Ced of EJ will be back to full strength in time for the start of the season, I think our secondary is our # priority.

The more I think of it, the more I wouldn’t mind seeing some team pick up Edwards.
    That’d give us another 1st round pick and Robison is ready.

Agree Fran. A 1st rounder for Ray,Ray but we cant forget o-line as well as secondary. Favre will not be able to take another beating.

• Luft Krigare says:

If Edwards heads off to greener pastures, which looks likely in my opinion, that will make for 9 picks with 2 of them being at the bottom third of the draft. That leaves Rick Speilman with plenty of ammo to move around to get the guys he wants.

The offense is loaded for weapons, but bigjohnny84 is right, the O-line needs some attention. When my home boy, Ryan Cook, is our #1 backup… the line needs some infusion of more talent.

I agree with ya on the Edwards thing Fran. The resigning of Kennedy would help if Robison is needed fulltime.

I think we all will feel more optimistic when Favre says, “one more year”.

3. wtfvikesfan says:

For sale at NFLShop.com, Tomlinson’s Vikings jersey

Posted by Mike Florio on March 13, 2010 12:22 PM ET
    From time to time, the folks responsible for selling NFL-related apparel put the cart ahead of the horse.

Or maybe they know more than the rest of us.

Either way, NFLShop.com currently is selling Vikings’ jerseys bearing LaDainian Tomlinson’s last name on the back. (And, no, he wouldn’t be wearing “0” in Minnesota; his number would be determined later — most likely after Asher Allen gives up No. 21.)

No similar product is being offered in Jets colors.

It most likely means nothing. But it gives us something to write about while we wait for Tomlinson to decide his next move.

Adam – I agree that hanging on to what we have is critical, and I still didn’t like losing Chester at all. I am wondering what is left for FA’s at the cornerback position. I am really concerned there with Griffin’s recovery schedule and Winfield’s questionable injury status. Have we missed them all or could that still happen?

Hey coach good to see ya. Havent seen you around for a while, hope all is well. Agree on the cornerback position. We cannot assume that either Ced or Winny will be redy.

Vike have a surplus of mid round pick. In part, this goes back to successful drafting in past years.

Vike also have extra Defensive Line talent at present. This could change quickly with possibility of injuries or suspensions. However, we’re also going to be able to pick up additional Free Agent talent over the next couple of months. These guys are seeking opportunity to play on a winning team. Agree Vike need only a couple of players.

Is it time to take a page from Patriot and start trading players and 2010 draft choices in exchange for 2011 picks? If Viking need to develop a QB shouldn’t we be trying to get into Jake Locker sweepstakes next year?

6. krugjr says:

speaking of sticking together, we don’t need LT breaking us apart! Anybody we sign should love the Purple AND love the land of 10,000 lakes….if not…….we don’t want you!

GO VIKES!!!!!

7. krugjr says:

johnny……all “the leaks” are pointing toward NY, but most of that is still agent stories…..money is probably close enough between the two that now it’s who can win it all and where do I want to live……and since these guys have millions, and can have property all over, I’d say it’s down to who can win the title, and that’s down to QBs!!!!!!!!IF you knew Brett was coming back, I’d want him throwin’ to me vs Sanchez……………if he wants the “glamour and press” of NYC, etc…then we don’t want hin anyway, no what I mean? does he want to hunt and fish with the guys or do make-up and shampoo commercials????? hmmmmmm, tough decisions!

does make you wonder if Brett has an opinion…..but he couldn’t tell anyone because his answer would get out!

GO VIKES!!!!!