Thoughts About Tebow And The Vikings

Vikings execs were in Florida yesterday for Tim-Tebow-Fest  Forida’s pro day.  While I think that there are a number of guys that worked out yesterday (i.e. Spikes, Hernandez) that are more likely to have Minnesota as a landing spot… people want to know about Tim Tebow.

I loathe writing this article because of the unrest it is sure to cause in the comments section, but at least combining the words “Tebow” and “Vikings” in one article should increase my traffic via Google.

So, here we go.

I think Tim Tebow is a phenomenal human being that will be a very successful NFL quarterback.  I would happily see the Vikings draft him at #30 overall.  If I were a head coach (which I’m not, so I know just as much/little as the next guy) I would love to have him on my team, in my locker room, on my sideline, and leading my starting offense.

Many folks out there, however, would tend to disagree… and that is fine.

All the talking heads, hack bloggers, videos of throwing motions, workout tape, quotes from unnamed sources and scouting reports can tell you everything you want to know about this kid except for one thing… how he’ll do at the next level.  Nobody truly knows that, and nobody will for about three to seven years.

Every draft pick in the history of draft picks is a risk… and of all the risks to take I think Tebow is one worth it in the first round.  At least I know that risk is going to work his ass off to be the best he can be for my football team… and I am not sure how many other first round picks can truly have that said about them this year.  Maybe five?  Ten?  Maybe none.

I am not sure what the Vikings interest level is.  One would have to assume that reuniting Tebow with college teammate Percy Harvin is just the type of storyline Zygi Wilf seems to crave.  Childress is an outspoken opponent of hiring quarterbacks with flawed mechanics, however, and may not feel Tebow has truly changed what was a horrid throwing motion.  What  would bringing in a left-handed quarterback do to the makeup of our offensive line… would anyone want to see Loadholt the one charged with protecting the quarterback’s blind side?

Questions like these, and thousands more, are what the Vikings are asking themselves each day between now and draft day.

We’ll soon know how the Vikings brass answered those questions.

35 Responses to “Thoughts About Tebow And The Vikings”

Hey Adam.
    1st of all let me say I am suprised you think Tebow would be a good NFL QB.

Myself, I dont know. Im not good about these things. I always seem to get it wrong when it comes to QB’s coming out of college.

But I do find Tebow an interesting risk. Part of me thinks he will be a bust for obvious reasons. Another part of me thinks that with his work ethics and determination, he will make it. Not that he will break all the records, but that he will win.
    While I dont agree with you about him being a phenomenal human being (he’s as full of shit as we all are), I do agree about him working his ass off to be the best he can be for my football team. Thats good enough for me.

He might be just as full of it as the rest of us… but there is no denying he puts his money where his mouth is.

The guy registers more community service hours in one year than you and I spend sleeping. 🙂

• Fragile Freds says:

Agreed regarding Tebow’s community service. He has dedicated himself to show the love of Jesus Christ by his service to others. Many are jealousy of Tebow for many reasons. Like his game or hate his game if more people showed the love that he does for others though unselfish service to their fellow man, we would be living in a much better world.

Why this bothers some is beyond me.

Even as someone that is not a particularly religious person, I couldn’t agree more Freds. His dedication to doing good is a rare trait in all humans… let alone pro athletes.

2. Brendan says:

I really want the Vikings to take a chance on Tebow. Until the Vikings drafted Percy Harvin, I actually quite disliked Tebow, and thought he was overrated. However, I think there are two reason he could make a successful NFL QB.. Especially for the Vikings.

1) The “it” factor – There have been many, many QBs with more physical tools then Tebow. His talents may never allow him to be a great (or even good) NFL QB.. But there is no denying that Tebow has the “it” factor. I can guarantee from the moment he joins a team.. He will be a leader.. And the moment he enters the huddle, he will have the full trust of the team.. I’m not saying that automatically makes him a great QB.. But to be a great QB, you need it.. And it’s definitely not something you can teach (example – Jay Cutler has all the talent in the world.. But he will never win anything)

2) The Vikings situation – Tebow would enter a perfect situation in Minny. First off, he is not NFL ready right now. Luckily the Vikings don’t need him to be. A year to sit and learn would be the absolute best thing for Tebow. He also would enter a team with a lot of young offensive talent. I can’t see Tebow ever being a player that can lead and mediocre NFL team to great things.. But given talent around him.. I think Tebow could be great. Well luckily the Vikings have probably the NFL’s best young receiving duos (not to mention one part of it being his favorite college target). They also have Adrian Peterson.. Who’s pretty good.

In the end.. The guys a winner. And though he may never be a great NFL QB.. He will do everything in his power to make himself better and the players around him better. I don’t know.. If it came down to 4th and 10 in a critical point of the game.. I’d be confident with someone like Tebow taking the snap. Sure he may not be the best throughout.. But I just think that when it comes down to it.. Tebow is the type of player that will make it happen.

Just my 2 cents though

That’s a pretty darn good write up there Brendan. I pretty much agree with it all

• steve says:

another reason i like tebow in this draft is while hes got a year to practice his mechanics, he would be getting tips from favre. Not to mention, if we do as good as we did last year, Tebow should be seeing a hefty amount of 4th quarter garbage time.
      I would also be very comfortable with him in a vick like role for the 10-11 season, being used for an array of wildcat packages. adding even more rest to favre’s legs.
      My third point is I cant help but smile picturing PA call a Tebow-shaincoe jump pass TD, but that’s just me

3. jianfu says:

Favre and Tebow at the same position on the same team? ESPN would have to relocate Rachel Nichols to Winter Park.

I think Tebow can succeed but he’ll never be a quarterback’s quarterback; I think if you put him in a system such as the Titans or maybe even the Steelers he could be good. I don’t know if Childress is the type who will alter his WCO playbook, though. So it might not be a possibility.

On the other hand, I do think Childress–if he had his druthers–would like a great athlete at the position. He made his name working with McNabb. He drafted TJack. He drafted Tyler Thigpen. He brought in Pat White on the eve of the draft last year for a late looksee. So who knows?

And while the Vikings aren’t exactly known for their quarterbacks, it seems they’ve had success hbistorically with the big-armed scramblers: Tarkenton, Gannon, Cunningham, Culpepper…

And it’s not like this team under this management has ever shyed away from making a splash or taking on scrutiny.

In the end I don’t see it, but who knows? I do think it’s become so fasionable to pick his game apart that he’s probably become underrated. But I think he needs to go somewhere where he’ll have time (which the Vikings can afford) and where there’s a good, psuedo-spread type offense (which on the Vikings is doubtful).

4. SupaScout says:

I admit I like Tebow, if for no other reason he would put the Vikings in good standing with the lord. Right now, I am quite sure that god hates the Vikings.
    Now for my 2 cents. The Vikes are very close to winning it all, and that window is very short. With this most likely being the last season of Pat Williams and #4 as well as a few other free agents, we need to make the most of our draft picks. Since I’m very sure that he will not make it past the Browns in the second round, that means we would need to take him as our #1. I’m just not sure we can pass on some of our more pressing needs we have, if we are going to push all of our chips in for this year.
    With that being said, Tebow career may be the most interesting to follow since Doug Flutie. He was a winner in college, but everyone gave him little chance because of his physical attributes.

LOL @ your first paragraph!

Agreed that drafting Tebow (no matter which round) is not adding a player that willl instantly make this team better. He will not likely have an impact in his first year… unless he’s willing to take Tahi’s job.

5. Norseman66 says:

Tebow could turn out to be a good QB however I would spend no more than a 3rd round pick for him. More pressing needs to address with the 1st and 2nd round picks. If you would draft him who would you cut? T-Jack or Sage?

Keep Sage and trade T-Jack for whatever you can get… a 2012 7th rounder?

All kidding aside, don’t be surprised if T-Jack gets some interest in the next couple of weeks.

I would think alot depends on our RFAs. If we could get another 1st rounder for Edwards or 3rd for Tjack then Tebow would be a solid pick.

7. Ole says:

no to Tebow in the first round, just don’t think he is a value with the top pick

for what it’s worth, I didn’t want Harvin last year

8. krugjr says:

the first 29 picks will probably make the call for us….IF Vikes want him…..if the value at OL or DL or DB isn’t there at #30, then if it’s a “stretch”……why not make Tebow the stretch……TJ would be gone, no one seems to be offering anything for him………………with that said, wouldn’t the Tebow fans freak if at 30 we take McCoy!!!

GO VIKES!!!!!

9. krugjr says:

Ole…….you’re up early…….snowing in MT today…..but it is winter until Sunday!!!

Tebow won’t make it to the bottom of rd 2, so if Spielman and Zygi want him, it would have to be at 30……and you have to admit…..it would be a SPLASH………..personally, I would do it just to drive the pro choicers nuts!

Aloha!

GO VIKES!!!!!

10. Ole says:

Howzit Krugger! Gotta rise early to get that Morning Wood (relax Adam, I’m a carpenter)

Childres once stressed that you build a team from “front to back” meaning lineman take priority over everyone else. I wouldn’t be suprised to see the Vikings pick a lineman with one of the first 2 picks

11. Todd Flaxton says:

Drifting Tim Teabow would be a splendid idea. He goes to church on a regular basis. I am simply positive that Mister Random Thoughts Guy would disapprove of this move. What a bad bad man!

~Todd

12. wtfvikesfan says:

Adam why first round when many, many mock draft say Vikes can get Tebow end of round 2? End of second I would say go for Tebow if Pike isn’t there.

Pike will be there, I think.

If Tebow last til then that’s even better. I’m just saying, he’s got a first round grade in my book. By saying tha ti would draft him in the first round, I’m not saying i wouldn’t draf thim in the second 🙂

13. krugjr says:

agree, Ole……fat man rd 1 and let rd 2 play itself out……you’re right on with chilly’s “inside out” theory!

would love to be in thee wwar room…..

GO VIKES!!!!!

14. jeege says:

Off Topic: Does anyone else wonder why we aren’t taking a chance on Westbrook?

I think he’d be a perfect third down guy for us.

Maybe becuase Favre has yet to give Childress the green light? 😉

My actual guess is that the Vikes want to wait and see with the draft. There is a good chance they get an absolute steal at the RB position this year, so why commit to a guy that will just as likely be available after the draft anyways?

Or perhaps they just like Albert Young better.

15. jeege says:

Yea, that’s definitely a good guess. Its such a deep draft.

I just hope we don’t lose out on our chance to pick him up if we need him. Would be a great compliment and another unreal weapon for Favre.

Instead of retyping Freds thoughts. See Norses comment below. He’s right on the money.

But…Freds wouldn’t be ticked if the Vike took Stoney Pike at two if need be. Fred really believes that Pike will be a good one.

Hard to believe Childo would pick Tebow at all, not sure if he could pass the rock/river test.

Hope Tebow does well in the NFL.

Norseman66
    March 19th, 2010 at 9:05 am

17. crazyviking says:

Tebow would make a great fit for the vikings. he is strong, was the 2nd fastest qb at the combine, he holds numberous sec and ncaa records as a qb, and he is an upright law abiding citizen.
    we need guys like him after all the incidents with driving drunk, the love boat, speading to the point of 60 mph over the speed limit, smoking pot every blue moon, and being so self centered and egotistical that when asked about how to pay a fine he says it will be straight up cash homie!
    he is a great player full of passion both for the sport and the Lord! he is going to be one of the greats. he reminds me of steve young. I would be glad and welcome it!
    Love you Tebow keep on rolling for the Lord and play your heart out man!

18. vouchers says:

Pretty great post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to mention that I’ve truly enjoyed surfing around your blog posts. After all I will be subscribing to your rss feed and I hope you write again soon!