Compensatory Reminder

You will all see quite a few bits of news regarding the compensatory pick(s) the Vikings will receive this week during the NFL’s Annual Owners Meeting.

Most places I’ve seen have predicted that the Vikings will get two picks between the third and seventh round becuase they lost Darren Sharper and Matt Birk last year.

That should prove to be incorrect.ย  The signing of Karl Paymah should negate any pick possibly received for Sharper’s departure.

We should get one for Birk, however.ย  Due to the fact that Birk was over thirty years old when he left, that pick cannot be any higher than the fifth round.

Okay, I’m off for some early morning bird hunting.ย  I’ll check back this afternoon.

19 Responses to “Compensatory Reminder”

1. Fran the Man says:

Bird hunting?
    This can mean only one thing;
    You’re after that wiley white wascal, the Ptarmigan!

Bummer about the Paymah factor! We would have gotten a pretty nice pick, seeings how Sharper had such a good year, right?

Fran, Sharper could have gotten us no more than a fifth rounder since he was over 30 years old when he left. Also, the formula is not believed to take into account the performance of the player after he leaves, but rather the contract he signs after he leaves.

Other things taken into account appear to be original round originally drafted in, prior performance, Awards and Honors, reputation, and the previous contract signed.

Remember last year when the Steelers got hosed? They thought they’d get a third rounder for letting Alan Faneca walk, but because he was over thirty they only got a fifth.

Gotta love the NFL’s best kept secret, even one of the oldest franchises didn’t know what the hell was going on.

2. Viking John says:

Is that what you went hunting for Adam? I like to chase a few birds myself.
    Go Vikes

This has absolutely nothing to do with anything. I just think its funny-

Hope it doesnt offend anyone!

Johnnys,

A Ptarmigan is a pigeon without the disease.

5. Adam Warwas says:

I so very much miss pheasant hunting down in your neck of the woods Johnny. Every year I say I’m going back to do that… and every year I don’t. ๐Ÿ™

You’ll have to ask Percy, your old pal Fragile ain’t eating pigeon.