Gotta Love The Internet

One bad/great thing about the internet is that any monkey with a keyboard and mouse can have a blog (I get paid in bananas) and create rumors about their favorite football team.

Here are a few that I’ve come across that may or may not have any merit to get you through this boring stretch:

• The Vikings are thought to be a potential landing spot for recently released cornerback Nathan Vasher.  Vasher is a veteran who has once played at a Pro Bowl level in the Cover-2 scheme.  Recent injuries have contributed to his lack of productivity since the Bears Super Bowl run.
  • The Vikings may actually vote AGAINST changing the overtime rules for the playoffs, despite the fact that they were the most recent team to get a raw deal from the current rules.
  • Rennie Curran from Georgia is an undersized linebacker expected to be drafted rather late.  He could be a sleeper, however, and the Vikings are thought to have interest.  At Georgia’s Pro day, Scott Studwell spent extra time working with the young linebacker.
  • The Vikes may have interest in Brian Westbrook, but will wait until after the draft to commit to the aging back.  This makes sense, as this draft may have some great steals at the position.  Guard Shawn Andrews is also rumored to get interest from the Vikings pending the outcome of the draft.
  • Unnamed teams are rumored to be interested in signing Ryan Cook to an offer sheet which, if the Vikings did not match the offer, would give them a third round pick.  Now, calm down, guys… I know watching Cook leave would be a heartbreaker to you all.

36 Responses to “Gotta Love The Internet”

Adam, If Scott Studwell spent extra time with Curran, Maybe they will go after him, Sounds like a Ed McDaniel type player…

Good evening Charlie. Just remember alot of these posts are just pure junk so dont take them too seriously.

• Purple Charlie says:

Adam, Vikings Update writer Kevin Brown said Studwell had spent time with Curran, So do you think there might be some true to it???

• Purple Charlie says:

Hey Johnny, Sorry I posted back to Adam not you, There might be some truth coming from Kevin Brown…

Could be Charlie but also could be a smokescreen.

• Purple Charlie says:

If he was projected as a 1st or 2nd round pick I would be thinking smokescreen, But he would be a later round pick so you never know…

Johnny, will keep a eye out for him during the draft, See if they go for him in the later rounds…

You keep track of this one and remind me come draft time, I’ll forget.

I don’t think it is smoke screen at all. A later round OLB is exactly what I think the Vikes are interested in.

2. wtfvikesfan says:

Let cook go for a third.

3. wtfvikesfan says:

Great news Mauer sings 8 year deal!!!!!

4. wtfvikesfan says:

And Wow the UND SIOUX hockey team is awesome!!!!

5. Viking John says:

I think Chilly likes OL that can play more than one position. I am not big on Cook, but he can play Tackle, Guard, Center. Just like Hicks did, which I wish we had back instead of Cook.
    We will really need some diversity as we will now have two roster spots taken by kickers?????
    Go Vikes

VJ,good point on the multiple positions but Cook seems to me to be that “jack of all trades and master of none” guy.

• Viking John says:

Where are you from Johnny that you have lots of roosters to shot. Just wondering since I like to shoot them myself.
        Go Vikes

VJ, I’m in nothwest Iowa. I’m not sure how to say this in PG-13 but we are bigco k country. And you can join also in the hunt.

• Viking John says:

Yes, you have more birds than we do. We have a few, but not as many as you have.
        Go Vikes

• c.carterhof says:

I also thought I saw Jon Cooper play a couple of different spots.

Hey CC, at least Hicks proved he could play different positions. And agree with VJ, wish Hicks was here instead of Cook.

6. G.P. says:

Rennie, Rennie, Rennie, is a beast and a stand up dude! Get it Curran!

7. G.P. says:

Georgia boys handle their stuff. SEC all day, every day. Double A is and always will be my favorite thing to come from Georgia since forever. However, Rennie is good. He may be a sleeper but he’ll do some team (Hopefully ours) some serious good. He worked it at Pro Day and has really pushed himself hard to get better and I was mighty impressed.

8. G.P. says:

Trust me Johnny the kid worked hard Pro Day. I’ve watched him do his thing for awhile and think he has great potential. Not to mention both he and our boy Asher are good boys, who work hard and play well.

GP, you think he’ll drop to 7th round or go undrafted? I have no idea.

• G.P. says:

I truly hope the Liberyan Wonder Kid does not go undrafted as it would be a waste of hard work and talent. While, I know he won’t be an upper round draft pick I think he’ll get drafted. At 225 pounds 5 foot 11 the kid is pretty menacing a true head buster. See below. He’s intense and works harder than most weak side linebackers I’ve seen. Believe me I’ve seen a ton of footage and have watched a lot of games. The kid’s rough and needs work but he’s willing to work and could be a diamond in the making. he loves to get physical and craves contact.
        check it out!

He won’t make it past the 5th round despite being undersized and limited to 4-3 defenses… that’s speaks a lot to his talents.

• G.P. says:

Word has it that some of the boys at Pro Day were
        speculating possible 4th 5th round. I’ve learned however that speculation is just that. So I always say that anything within reason could happen come draft day. It may not be rennie’s day. I hope it is but you never what will
        go down come time. I like your prediction and really hope you’re right. As the kid is a good hard working investment.

9. wtfvikesfan says:

Flasher nd is the home of the big c@ck!!

10. Todd Flaxton says:

i DOOOOO love the intronet!!!! transformers.com is awsome. bwaaaaak

Todd,

Do you even like the Vikings? Know anything about them? Have anything to add besides this type of nonsense?

• Norseman66 says:

Adam,

You just have to realize that sometimes you get people who’s age is much higher than their IQ. They have nothing to offer and waste our clean air.

Frans & Krugs,

Your earlier comment referring to the Vikes as the best team last year.

” we had the best team. We really did, just not in those last 30 seconds of regulation. . ”

As Fragile’s 102 year old Grandma used to say:

“Fragile, if frogs had wings they wouldn’t hit their butts on the ground when the hopped.”

Fran & Krugs, we fell 2 games short of being the best, not just one. Though the Favre int was crushing, the game was pooped away many times before the last 30 seconds. Superbowl winning teams don’t play like the Vikes did in the NFC championship. Part of being considered the best at anything is finishing first. Elementary I know, but we didn’t do it. Champions don’t have special teams breakdowns in overtime of NFC championships, they don’t drop the ball half a dozen times in one game, their line doesn’t allow their QB to get pummeled in a big game like that, and their QB doesn’t cough up a lung when he could have walked for enough yards to give the kicker a chance to win it, and certainly they don’t have a penalty that pushes them back when they are in field goal distance for a chance to go to the Super Bowl.

How a team handles pressure games defines if they are the best or not.

A very good team, top 4 for sure, but not the best. Not last year anyway.

12. krugjr says:

krugjr
    March 22nd, 2010 at 10:34 am
    we had the best team…….but not the best coach……that’s fudging, but it’s the truth

now that I’ve written that, and re-lived the 5 turnovers……..freds is right, saints were the better team!

GO VIKES!!!!!

freds………as you can see, I came to my senses at 10:30 this morning!

But we’d still have the right to match that 3rd round RFA tender for Cook though?

Wouldn’t we?