Iupati To Visit The Vikes

In my 2010 Offseason Tracker, I have a spot dedicated to highlighting the draft prospects that are scheduled to visit the Vikings prior to draft day.

After writing this article, I can add a second name to the list (would it be considered a list if only one guy was on there to begin with?).

Scout.com reports (thanks for the tip, Johnny) that the Vikings are scheduled to have a private visit and workout with this year’s premier guard prospect, Mike Iupati.  It is expected that he gets selected prior to the Vikings choosing at #30, but weirder things have happened, and the Vikings have the fire power to trade up.

The report also says that Iupati will meet with 15 other teams prior to the draft, and they all have selections before the Vikings.

17 Responses to “Iupati To Visit The Vikes”

Damn you are fast Adam. You must of had some pre written notes on this one.

Dang that CC has some influence here, as any future hall of famer should.

Doesn’t Iupati has about the same or lower pre-draft ranking as Michael Oher had last year. We passed on him at #22? anyway. Can’t see Iupati falling past both Cowboy and Packer. That would be strange.

4. Ted Brown #23 says:

What “firepower” do we have to trade up?

5. Ted Brown #23 says:

No,I don’t disagree, but I think Anthony H and Hutch are solid players, I don’t know why I would trade up in the 1st round at that position.

By the way “welcome to VG!” Don’t think I’ve seen you here before and it is always good to see new fans.

I’m just saying if they thought he was worth it. I agree Hutch is great and Herrera is better than folks give him credit for. But drafting Iupati could allow Herrera to slide to center which would upgrade two positions. Just a thought.

Losing Hicks made guard a need for sure… first round need? Now, that’s another argument.

6. Ted Brown #23 says:

Thanks, awesome website, but shifting Anthony H.to center? I thought Sullivan did a good job last year replacing a pro bowl center in his second year. And what is the status with Ryan Cook he can play multiple positions on the line.

I should rephrase that and say let him compete with Sully for the center job. I thought Sully was the weakest link on the o-Line for sure, but he will hopefully improve.

Cook is tendered at the 3rd round level. Too big to play Center in the NFL, IMO, but could be used in a pinch.

7. Ted Brown #23 says:

Speaking of the draft, what do you think of this Thursday nite crap! Draft day Saturdays were like holidays around here!

I know, right? It screwed up my whole plan of having a first round live chat here at the Gab because now I have to work during it 🙁

We’ll have an open thread, though, so you should stick around.

We’ll have live chats on days two and three as well.

8. Ted Brown #23 says:

What an awesome website!! I can talk to Minnesota Vikings fans all nite and have a beer or ten! (took a vaction day tomorrow!!) Skol Vikes!! Off to the fridge for another beer!!

Well, good, stick around! Things get kinda slow this time of night, but the normal group of guys are some of the best fans, scratch that, THE BEST fans on the net.

9. 44for the hall says:

Hello Adam,
    I’m not computer savvy, and wanted to let you know I enjoy the website. It’s on my homepage, and I check it daily. I tried the contact thing; couldn’t figure it out. That’s why I’m leaving this comment here. Anyway you have the best site I’ve come across and I wanted to say thank you for the effort. Since we’re talking about lineman here how come no one is talking about Pouncey from Fla. He plays multiple positions and I don’t care for Iupati. I think Iupati’s elbows stick out to far and that will lead to holding. I’m not a scout, it’s just what I think. Anyway what do you think of Pouncey? Oh, by the way 44 for the hall is for my generations A.D.

44, thanks for the kind words. Hope you stick around and keep commenting!

As far as Iupati goes, I am surprised, like you, that many people seem to think he is a top 20 pick. Maybe he is maybe he isn’t. He has some work to do on technique, as you say, but what college prospect doesn’t?

Pouncey is a solid player, but I think it would be a reach to take him at 30. Somebody of better value has to fall by that point I think. To me, Pouncey would be a solid fit for the vikes, but is more of a mid-second rounder.

I really like Mike Johnson for the Vikings in the second or third round. He’s my favorite guard in this class when it comes to fitting in with the Vikes.