Vikes Get Another Pick

The compensatory picks have finally been revealed, and as expected, the Vikings received a fifth round pick (#167).

The pick was given because of the Vikings loss of Matt Birk to the Ravens.  The loss of Darren Sharper was cancelled out by the addition of Karl Paymah.

For a complete list of the picks, you can click here.

While continuing to speculate about the draft, keep in mind that compensatory picks cannot be traded.

(Editor’s Note:  I’m not really on the up and up with the top secret formula that determines these picks, but it seems safe to say that the Vikings may be eligible for two compensatory picks next year since they lost Artis Hicks, Karl Paymah (RFA), and Chester Taylor and have only signed Rhys Lloyd (RFA).  Maybe a fifth and a seventh next year?)

75 Responses to “Vikes Get Another Pick”

1. Norseman66 says:

Well, I guess it’s better than nothing. I can’t believe the Patriots got 4 more picks. They already have 3 2nd round picks.

The sign of a very good front office.

• Norseman66 says:

No doubt, Just imagine the needs the Vikes could address with 3 2nd round picks. The sort of funny part is, as of right now Mr. irrelevant gets to go to Detroit. It’ll be interesting if the Vikes will bundle their 2 5th round picks to move up a little. They’ve done that in the past. Correct me if I’m wrong but I think that’s how they got Robison.

The bundle wont work in that respect… Comp picks can’t be traded.

2. Norseman66 says:

Yeah you’re right, I forgot, my bad. Have you checked the latest sleeper that I posted about on the bottom of the links section you posted?

3. PJDiaries says:

“The loss of Darren Sharper was cancelled out by the addition of Karl Paymah.”

While that statement is technically true in regards to the compensatory picks, taken singularly it is freaking hilarious!

Stupid Paymah.

4. coolio says:

Do you only get picks the year after you lose a player. Im guessing so because of us not getting picks for chester and hicks. Also if a team loses a player with the highest tender would they eventually get a 1st, 3rd, and 3rd

The formula is very complicated and very secretive, Coolio. But no, we you do not recieve compensation until a year later.

Check out my Editor’s not ein the above article.

Compensation only counts with Unrestricted Free Agents, I believe. Player’s that are cut and players that are RFAs are not believed to factor in.

5. Adam Warwas says:

Patriots now have:

First Round: 1 pick
    Second Round: 3 picks
    Third Round: no picks
    Fourth Round: 1 pick
    Fifth Round: 0 picks
    Sixth Round: 2 picks
    Seventh Round: 5 picks
    TOTAL: 12 draft picks

6. Norseman66 says:

Do you suppose the Vikes could plead temporary insanity for the Paymah signing last year and we could get a pick for Sharper leaving? Just asking.

Yeah, not sure what they saw in Paymah… but it didn’t pan out the way they had hoped.

The reason teams like the Pats keep getting more comp picks is their ability to resist signing guys like Paymah, and instead fill those spots via the draft, and groom those young guys until they are productive, and then not pay them more money when their contract is up but rather just let them go to another team, and then recieve more comp picks becuase they let them go… and you can see where this leads.

Being good at drafting makes you a good franchise.

No doubt the Pats have much room to improve after last season, but 12 picks will go a long ways towards doing just that… plus they got another future first rounder for trading Seymour to the Raiders.

You would think they would pool some of those picks and move up a little for better quality. There’s no way all twelve would make the roster is there?

Possibly if you count the practice squad, Johnny.

Compensatory picks can’t be packaged/traded, however, so any movement would come from their other picks available to them.

7. Norseman66 says:

You have to admit it though, the Vikes have drafted pretty damn well over the past few years. It sure beats being a Raiders fan that’s for sure. They should get compensatory picks just because they have Al Davis!

That is true… and I hope their good luck continues. As I wrote int he update to the article, if the Vikings draft well and don’t have to sign any UFA’s, then they could be in line to get two more comp picks next year (9 picks total).

The idea would be to draft well enough so that they do not have to worry about potentially losing a guy like Leber in free agency next year, and thus put them in a position to get even more picks in 2012.

Hopefully they have gotten into rythm with these things and continue to get even better at making it count.

8. Adam Warwas says:

A 5th rounder is nothing to scoff at, either. Both 5th rounders from the last two years (Sullivan & Brinkley) started games last season. They may not have been the best, but they sure weren’t the worst.

9. Norseman66 says:

As much attention as the “Triangle of Authority” gets, I really believe that Studwell and the rest of the scouts deserve the most credit for the picks over the past few years. Like you said, what ever they are doing, just keep on doing it, even if it means they rub Chilly’s bald head for good luck before the draft starts.

10. Adam Warwas says:

Anyone else notice that PFT’s latest mock (they’re awful at mocking) had Clausen falling to the Vikes? That’s a luagh-and-a-half, but I would be jumpin’ for joy if that actually happened.

Agreed, PFT is good for News updates, not the draft…

I would love to be a mouse in the corner of the Warwas house if Claussen fell that far and then Childo doesnt pick him.

It’d be pretty quiet, actually, since I have to ^%@#^@#$^% work during the first round! UGH!!!!!!!!

But, yes, I would be seeing red for sure.

Adam, I take it you will be able to get updated from work?

See, the problem is that it happens to be our annual share-holder meeting, which takes place at night and is a big deal for our company. Getting text messages throughout will probably be out of the question. Getting done prior to the Vikings picking at #30 isn’t completly out of the question but is unlikely. We’ll see. I’m so bummed about it. I think Mrs. Warwas is tired of hearing me complain 🙂

13. Norseman66 says:

Adam,

Are you sure you couldn’t come down with a case of appendicitis or something? Or would your work want to see your hospital admission form?

That’s not a bad idea, actually, especially since the Hospital does get ESPN 🙂 But, alas, I’m going to suck it up and be the good worker I promised them I’d be 🙂 Just couldn’t believe the bum luck of scheduling… darn NFL changing their draft schedule!

14. Adam Warwas says:

I was so excited to do a live chat during, as well. With polls about who would get selected next and making fun of Todd McShay and so on and so on.

Live chat wills till happen on days 2 and 3, however.

Adam, would you like me to call your bosses for you? Maybe I could get you off the hook.

Haha, no. Don’t want to risk the trouble it might cause for asking for it off.

I’m in no position to complain, really. I’m one of the lucky Americans that have a job that supports me and my wife. It is also a good enough job that I don’t have to take out a second one which would eat up my evenings and not allow me to continue on VG.

So, while I like to complain about missing round one, in the end I consider myself a pretty lucky dude.

• Norseman66 says:

That’s a great way of looking at! My wife sometimes complains about my work schedule but I always tell her the same thing. At least I have a good job and you don’t have to work and I don’t have to work a second job. That’s why during the NFL draft, I take vacation and those are my days to relax, BBQ and consume numerous adult beverages.

yes, always have to look for that silver lining.

I planned on taking the days off, but our annual meeting is a can’t-miss thing…

Why couldnt Coach Boynton host the chat. I think Freds would be a good host also. Then Adam could read through it when he got home.

17. Norseman66 says:

Looks like Cris Cook had a pretty bad pro day today.

18. Viking John says:

Freds will have a date with Mrs Freds like the last live mock draft. Now if it was a boat party, he wouldn’t miss it.
    Go Vikes

VJ, good stuff. Is Freds still trying to score a “happy dance” even though the season is over? Remind Fred you cant shoot pool with a rope.

Adam, Vikings Update is teasing a scheduled visit of an offensive lineman. Who is it?

Adam & johnny, you guys were all over that. Im impressed!

Ya CC, AK is the best sourcre out there

Cmon Adam take a little credit here. Dont be too humble.