Yours truly occasionally (quite frequently) enjoys taking part in some irresponsible speculation regarding the future of our favorite football team. With all the hoopla about Donovan McNabb making its rounds, I figured now would be as good a time as any to jump in and bring my own act to the circus.
Here are the facts we do know:
- Donovan McNabb is expected to be traded soon.
- The Eagles are reportedly demanding a top 42 draft pick in return for McNabb.
- The Vikings and Raiders combine for three draft picks in the top 42.
- The Raiders reportedly have no issues with the compensation that the Eagles are demanding.
- The Raiders reportedly have no issues with acquiring McNabb even if he does not agree to a contract extension.
So, if that is all true, then what is the hold up?
Let’s take a look at a few more things we know:
- The Eagles have reportedly shown interest in Vikings restricted free agent defensive end Ray Edwards.
- The Vikings have somewhat bewildered fans by bringing in defensive end Mike Montgomery for a visit, and he could possibly be signed soon, despite appearing to be set at the position.
- The Vikings have reportedly had talks with the Raiders about the availability of quarterback Sage Rosenfels.
- The Eagles have reportedly been interested in dealing Michael Vick in the recent past, as well.
- If both McNabb and Vick are traded out of Philly, the Eagles would probably consider Sage Rosenfels a fairly sound option to back up Kevin Kolb, as would most teams.
- McNabb is reportedly most interested in being traded to Minnesota.
- The Vikings will reportedly make no moves at quarterback until Brett Favre gives them a firm update on his retirement status.
- The Raiders have declared that each of their players is available for the right price, and there have even been reports that Nnamdi Asomugha may be included in a deal.
- The Vikings have a pretty big need for cornerbacks.
- The Raiders are widely thought to be targeting offensive tackle Bruce Campbell at the #8 spot in this year’s draft.
- The Vikings have reportedly set up a pre-draft visit with Campbell despite the long odds of him still being available at the #30 spot where they are currently drafting.
- There has been speculation that the Vikings would be interested in trading left tackle Bryant McKinnie after yet another disappointing offseason display.
- The Raiders need some major help at left tackle.
The facts show us that the Eagles, Raiders, and Vikings have been linked on a number of occasions already this offseason.
The possibilities of a three-way trade are endless, and I will not bother to speculate on a specific combination. The smoke is there, however, and one cannot help but wonder if fire is soon to follow.