Mock Draft Update

Well, it has been a few weeks since I last updated my mock draft, so I took the liberty of doing so tonight.  (click the “2010 Mock Draft” tab at the top of this screen)

A few of the picks along the way may surprise you a bit.  For example, I have the Rams still taking Jimmy Clausen first overall (I’m stubborn), I have Bulaga going ahead of Okung, and Tim Tebow ends up with the Bills.

The Vikings picks may not surprise you as much, however.  They are explained as follows:

First Round:  Devin McCourty, CB, Rutgers

Need:  The Vikings are uncertain how long it will take for Cedric Griffin to fully rehab his ACL injury.  A roster spot is still remaining unfilled after they allowed Karl Paymah to leave via free agency.  If the Vikings can obtain enough talent to slide Antoine Winfield into the nickel back position by 2011, then a contract mechanism will be triggered that cuts his salary in half.

The Player:  McCourty appears to be a prototype of what the Vikings look for in a cornerback.  He is a solid tackler, a natural leader, and an athletically fluid athlete who has no problem helping in run support.  The biggest knock on him is that he does not possess great ball skills, which is not a trait the Vikings seem to place too high on their priority list when it comes to defensive backs.

Other Players Considered:  Still on the board at that point in my draft were players such as Jermaine Gresham, Kareem Jackson, Rodger Saffold, Brian Price, Tim Tebow, and Maurkice Pouncey all of whom I considered.  This is a testament to how many good prospects should be available to the Vikings at #30.

Second Round:  Montario Hardesty, RB, Tennessee

Need:  The Vikings allowed Chester Taylor to leave in free agency and he signed a contract with the division rival Chicago Bears.  After striking out with Ladanian Tomlinson, the Vikings have claimed they are ready to hand backup duties over to Albert Young.  They very well could be ready to do just that, but I think the value of running back depth in this draft class will cause them to bite on one.

The Player:  Hardesty is a guy that has been flying under the radar until recently.  The more tape you see on this kid the more you notice that he is a downright bruiser with all the necessary skills to be one of the best third down backs in the league.  At 5’ 11” and 225 pounds, Hardesty will not blow you away with his speed.  He sets himself apart, however, by possessing very solid hands, a promising blocking ability, and a mean-streak power running style.  I now officially have a favorite running back in this draft (outside of Spiller) and this is it.

Other Players Considered:  Tyson Alualu, Jason Fox, Reshad Jones, Chris Cook, Dorin Dickerson, Navorro Bowman, Jarrett Brown, Torell Troup, Mike Johnson.

19 Responses to “Mock Draft Update”

1. coolio says:

I agree about McCourty but I think a fat man is a need in the 2nd Round.

2. Norseman66 says:

I agree, I was thinking maybe Lamarr Houston, Although, I have to admit, I am intrigued of the idea of flip-flopping only if Brian Price is still there in the 1st. Brian Price in the 1st
    and Brandon Ghee in the 2nd. I would not be surprised if GB takes McCourty with their 1st round pick for as much as their secondary got lit up and they are getting up their in age.

3. Adam Warwas says:

Interesting thoughts. I think that the team retaining Kennedy and Evans will help make DT more of a mid-round target. Montgomery and Robison are also capable of backing up those positions if the Williamses are suspended. And Gouin is still floating aorund on the roster somewhere. Adding a first round pick liek Price is not out of the question if he is BPA, but it sure makes for a crowded D-Line.

Fred doesn’t know much about McCourty but that conference that Rutgers plays in (the big east) is crap when it comes to football and worse when it comes to big time quarterbacks. Off the top of Freds head he couldn’t name two running backs or three starting quarterbacks or one stand our receiver in the big east. Can you without looking it up?

Let’s hope there is enough good tape against quality opponents to judge his real value.

Fred’s guy Tony Pike played in the big east. Here is what Tony did against the Rutgers Fighting Sissy boys:

Tony put up 510 yards and 45 points in the first three quarters, and Cincinnati had a cool 168 rushing yards in the same game against Rutgers. Obviously not all McCourty’s fault.

McCouty might be a star, but he didn’t see the best of competition in that crap conference.

That is a great point Freds. Assuming that there is no tape of McCourtey against stellar compeition (which there really isn’t) how much does a prospect get “dinged” on that in your book. If McCourtey is otherwise a “20 to 45” prospect, is he now a “33 – 45”? Curious what you would say the proper penalty is for playing in a poor conference?

(I know this comment might sound like i’m being sarcastic or mean or snobby or something but I really, turly, honstly don’t mean it to be. I’m honestly curious.)

It’s a fair question. Like I said, he might be a star, I sure don’t know. But from my standpoint perhaps the biggest component of drafting a guy is watching him on tape against the best competition he has that year. It just adds another level of questions if you haven’t seen him play against the high end guys. I do think from a corner back standpoint, you can judge his appetite to engage in stopping the run game, even against lesser backs, but the pass, not so sure.

For Freds, the ding factor would really only come in to play on round 1 picks. They should be good enough to start day one the season they are drafted (except QB). We’ve seen many rookie corners do just that. Unless Fred sees the goods on tape against high end competition, it makes me very nervous on a round 1 pick. Just risky that’s all.

And that’s a fair answer.

The question then becomes are there any corners in this draf that can start from day one? Witht he bigger, faster, stronger wide outs coming out of college every year the corners picked in the first round are simply not procuding in their first years in the NFL.

In 2009 for example, we saw Malcolm Jenkins and Vontae Davis get selected in the first round. It isn’t like these teams had great competition that knocked them down the depth chart, as both teams finished in the bottom 8 in the NFL in pass defense.

I don’t think starting roughly half the season and having mediocre production is what you mean by “they should be good enough to start from day one.” Which begs the question… are any rookie corners good enough to be day-one starters these days? And should the Vikings focus on depth at CB in later rounds instead of looking for a CB savior?

I never got around to my point about Davis and jenkins either… the point is that Davis started nine games and Jenkins started six… both with mediocre production.

6. Fozz44 says:

Adam….how do you feel about Taylor Mays? A few boards have him dropping, or being available in the 20’s for a minor trade-up.

7. Fozz44 says:

8. Adam Warwas says:

You always hear people talk about how great of an athlete Mays is.

Then the conversation gets a little more questionable when it turns to how good of a football player he is. As of right now, Mays is terrible at coverage and takes poor angles, but can deliver a big hit. He is minimal ball skills.

With that being said, his forementioned athleticism could be combined with some decent coaching to turn him into a heck of a safety. Carroll has long raved about him as one of the best players he’s ever coached, which says something.

I would not be disappointed with Mays at #30 depending on who else was available, but if he’s the best option I’d like to see them trade backwards instead of taking the risk.

Perhaps it is my bias toward drafting offensive lineman as first round picks (and interior defensive lineman) that drives me toward staying away from corners in the first round. When ever possible a team needs to minimize its risk toward a full blown bust in the first round. Those first rounders can prove to be great building blocks for the future or kill a team over the course of time with two or three consecutive flops.

In Freds perfect world, I would spend most of my time and money signing proven free agent corners rather than drafting them in the first round. Freds thinks it is easier to find “guaranteed” career starters in the first round at linebacker, offensive line, interior defensive line & running back.

In round two and beyond, all bets are off, draft corners and safeties at will! Keeping in mind that by round two the financial risk is also considerably lower as well.

Fred doesn’t believe that if your first rounder doesn’t start on day one he is a flop, just saying that he should be good enough to do so or don’t draft him. There are many good reasons not to start a rookie on game one. Not the least of which is to make sure they don’t get spanked and lose confidence. Heck, especially at corner where if a mistake is made a touchdown is given up. In the case of Jenkins and Davis, both were probably good enough to start on day one, but the coaches thought they would be well served to watch for a while knowing they would be playing by mid year.

So….Fred says draft a fat, angry, steroid infested offensive lineman in round 1. Better yet, trade back and pick up a pick or two this year or next.

10. E! says:

Access Vikings: The Movie to begin filming in June.

11. krugjr says:

bpa……..bpa…….bpa……..29 teams will make our pick for us…….agree with freds, if a “starting” lineman falls to us at #30 we’re set…..if not, trading down probably better than stretching for a DB…….thurs night’s gonna be fun!

part of me thinks, by signing depth from FAs, maybe, juuuuuuuuussst maybe, we’re considering moving up for Clausen, if he drops down around 20…..

GO VIKES!!!!!

Anybody see PJD’s post about the rumor that has Vikes moving up to get 8th pick? I would say highly unlikely but PJD makes some good points.

13. starrS10 says:

This comment is completely irrelevant, but I don’t mind…

When we go to draft parties and I set up a mock draft, I normally just pick names I know and have them going in the first round to teams I’m most familiar with, then base the rest on mock drafts I find online.

This year, I think I’ll just set it up so that the Vikings draft everyone with a name I like. Included would be:
    Ndamukong Suh, because his name is awesome AND he’s good
    Charles Brown, because I would love the juxtaposition of hearing the Peanuts song at a football game…
    Arrelious Benn, because his name makes me think of the movie Gladiator (“Marcus Arrelious”)
    Vladimir Ducasse… it’s just fun to say
    And C.J. Spiller and Golden Tate… no explanation necessary

That is exactly who Mrs. Warwas would draft! She’d add Colt McCoy, however, because his name is cool AND he’s “cute.”

• starrS10 says:

Colt is a given. I mean, he sounds like a cowboy and he played in Texas… also, his name is both a gun and a horse. What more could you want?