Holmes Trade Changes Vikings Position

The Steelers traded away Santonio Holmes for a fifth round draft pick, reportedly, despite the fact that he was a Super Bowl MVP less than two years ago.

This is just another case of what getting into trouble can do to a talented player and his (former) team.

The Steelers are imploding in a way that can really only be rivaled by the Cardinals this offseason.

So how does this affect the Vikings?

Many people thought the Jets would target a wide receiver in the first or second round.  The fact that they pick one spot before the Vikings throughout the entire draft makes this change interesting.

The presence of Braylon Edwards, Jericho Cothery, and now Holmes gives the Jets no real need for wide outs.  In fact, they are seemingly set at just about every offensive position.  Their defense is pretty darn solid, as well, but could probably use some bolstering, especially in the secondary.

The secondary is also thought to be a big need for the Vikings.  It could prove interesting if the Vikes decide that they have to leapfrog the Jets in order to get the DB they desire.

18 Responses to “Holmes Trade Changes Vikings Position”

Hey Adam, didnt you recently post that 1st round dbs dont usually do to well in their 1st year? I doubt they trade up for a cb or safety.

Once the Vikings identify “their guy” they usually do whatever they can to go get him. If they identify a DB as “their guy” and fear that the Jets select “their guy” one spot before them, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them jump up a couple of spots.

It sure would be nice if we could find out who “their guy” is. Unfortunately we wont know till draft night.

• Norseman66 says:

Johnny,

I concur about the Jets grabbing a CB in the 1st round since they already traded for Antonio Cromartie.

2. Norseman66 says:

I really don’t see the Vikes trading up. Because they will have many options to chose from. Besides, trading up in the first round is very costly in picks. There are almost 45-50 prospects with first round grades and that is why this draft is the deepest in about 10 years. Vikes still can get great value and help themselves by standing pat or even trading down.

3. Adam Warwas says:

I was thinking more along the lines of a safety (perhaps Taylor Mays who I currently have mocked to the Vikes). If the Vikes for some reason become infatuated with Mays (I sure hope not) then they may not want to give the Jets the chance.

• Norseman66 says:

If the Vikes are targeting Mays, then it’s going to be a long draft! I will immediately call the draft a failure for them. The guy can’t cover anybody! I would have a hard time taking him in the second round.

Adam, when are you going to update your mock? The one you are posting has Pouncy to Vikes not Mays.

That is what I means, Johnny… I have the Jets taking Mays. If for some reason the Vikings wanted Mays (again, I really hope not) or another player that both teams might covet, then they may have to consider leapfrogging… not saying they will, just saying its a possibility.

4. Norseman66 says:

Did some research, and for the Vikes to leapfrog the Jets they would have to give up their 4th round pick or their 5th and 6th round picks just to get to #28. That assumes the Chargers go by the draft position draft chart and do not ask for more.