Another Mock Update

Well, it is another day.

And with another day comes another update to my mock draft.

And with another day comes more attempts to try and make sure every post has at least three lines in it despite the fact that I’ve said everything I can really say about the upcoming draft with out repeating myself even more than I already have.  So check it out by clicking the tab at the top of this page.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Submit to Digg  Stumble This Story  Share on Twitter  Post on Facebook  Post on MySpace  Add to  Bark It Up  Submit to Reddit  Fave on Technorati

63 Responses to “Another Mock Update”

1. Brandon says:

C’mon man, you still honestly believe Clausen is going #1? I like the Vikings draft quite a bit.

I just have to have faith that somebody in St. Louis is smart enough to take the best QB… until proven wrong I’m sticking with Clausen.

Remember when Suh was aforegone conclusion to the Rams?

Remember when Jason Smith was a foregone conclusion to the Lions last year?

Remember Reggie Bush going to the Texans?

Just sayin’… it could happen.

2. j says:

no way clausen goes number 1, also seattle just traded for whitehurst, they wouldn’t draft bradford

Yeah, that’s not a clear cut one for me… but I can see where you are coming from. Whose to say they don’t draft Bradford and deal Hasselbeck?

I think the value with Bradford is too great at that point not to take… or trade down from.

Hey Adam, what do you know about Tyler Roehl from NDSU? I caught a link that he has been invited to Vikes mini-camp. I dont remember you talking about him. It said he has a rushing record against the Gophers of 263 yards. The guy looks like a stud and would only have to beat out Tahi. He was injured last year but seems to be at full strenght now.

Yeah, I mentioned it but only in my “Links of the Week” post.

Roehl may not have to beat out Tahi if they are bringing him in for his rushing skills… but I do think Tahi beats him out when it comes to blocking.

Last I heard he is not under contract, however… so we’ll see.

Geesh, he’s worse at blocking than Tahi? hard to believe.

Tahi gets a bad wrap… but I honestly think it would be a mistake to call him anything less than an “average” blocker.

I dont know Adam, I singled out Tahi alot last year when watching the games and he missed alot of blocks or just got pushed back in the hole more times than that. So I have to disagree about his blocking skills and I think we can forget about any rushing skills, he has none. but he is good at catching 1 or 2 yard passes on 3rd and 4.

Don’t get me wrong, I would agree he had a down year last year. But just like every other position, he suffered when others didn’t do well.

He was charged with picking up more pass rusher in 2009 (as opposed to 2008 when he performed pretty darn well) and thus had more opportunity to fail.

He also did not get the help from the O-Line when it came to run blocking.

If Matty B was on the ’09 team, you wouldn’t be singling out Tahi as much I suspect.

I hope your right on that since he’s signed now but I was talking about running plays only, not pass protection. but you make a good point about the o-line. He just seems very stiff and confused to me. There has got to be better options out there.

• c.carterhof says:

So Adam, that means you are singling out Sullivan?

I blame Bieniemy.

I agree… and there is really no harm in having him under contract until/unless the Vikes identify an upgrade. He costs very little, and it is an uncapped year so if they cut him later then it is no big deal.

I like John Connor from Kentucky, but there are virtually no free agent FBs and the draft class is quite skinny.

FBs are just disappearing. Jimmy K was disappointing last season, as well. Dugan was the only consistent one of the bunch (that one is for you, Ole!)

yes, i suppose you are right, carter. Sullivan needs to improve or be replaced.

Hey CC. You gonna back me up on this one?

I agree Johnny! Tahi…gotta go.

Dugan, yes, he of the phantom tripping call.

I take that back, I blame Dugan!

6. Adam Warwas says:

Geesh, you boys are up late tonight picking on me 🙂

Tebow!!!!! Of course Im always wrong about these things, so maybe Adam is right about Clausen. He just looks too mechanically sound, does that make sense? He seems too stiff in his motions, like hes tryin too hard.

CC, that’s why I prefer game films on these guys.

CC, could you expand on that?

• c.carterhof says:

Well Adam, johnny is probably right, cause I didnt see Clausen at all in real games. So…my statement is from his pro day. I dont watch college ball.
        Im sure you know better than me. All I know is Tebow seems like a leader and one hell of a competitor.

Adam, I think when these guys are put under the microscope at these workouts and combines and such, they try to be too perfect and not natural. There is alot of money riding on it.

8. Adam Warwas says:

I do think that the title character from the “Jimmy Clausen Story” should be played by Neil Patrick Harris, however.

That video makes a helluva good case for Golden Tate as well.

10. Adam Warwas says:

G’night fellas… see ya tomorrow.

Nite yall, Im a Clausen fan now!:)

Freds doesn’t think it’s that far fetched to think Clausen goes before Bradford. If you watch Bradford’s style he appears to be ready to play a more pro style than Clausen, at this point. Check out the highlight video of Clausen and then Bradford below. Bradford shows he uses the pocket as protection and continues through his reads. If Clausen’s primary receiver isn’t open, he quickly breaks the pocket, often times with no pressure on him
    to get outside for a run/pass option. Not a bad thing, but it MIGHT be an indication he hasn’t yet learned patients or doesn’t have the aptitude to read through a progression of pass options. Doesn’t mean he can’t, just means right now, Bradford is farther along in this regard.

If you remember Mike McMahon, Rutgers QB that played for the Lions, he NEVER learned to stay in the pocket and execute. As soon as he saw his first receiver was covered he ran for the hills, often times with a clean pocket. His lineman hated him. That style works well in college, not very well in the pros. So for Freds, the big question is, can Clausen learn to be a consistent pocket passer over time? If so, I’d take him before Bradford. If you don’t believe he can, take Bradford.

…and both rank ahead of Tebow on my list.

Question: Can we take our QB of the future in round 1, and still get a solid CB and OL in the subsequent rounds? Without some dealin’, I have my doubts.

Very interesting take Freds.

The first thing to point out, is that Clausen has a knack for making PASSING plays with his feet instead of running first, which (to me) is what sets him way apart from a guy like MCCoy.

You saw the results of Clausen’s scrambling to avoid the pass rush in the earlier video.

Here is what happens when Bradford is faced with a serious rush:

Bradford should’ve quickly broken out of the pocket.

13. Tomb... says:

I’m hoping for a draft day shocker. Some ridiculously sweet trade…a festivus miracle. A big ol’ fatty boom-batty trade for Joe Thomas would make me fart zippadeedoodah from the ol’ pooper for the next year.

Brandon Marshall traded to the Dolphins. Interesting.

14. Jerkpepper says:

This blog will continue to be terrible until you step up the Hank Baskett coverage.

15. HOPPY says:

Watch it JP. Why didn’t you sleep in today in your big bed with the solid gold sheets? What a Richie Rich wanna be.

16. Fran the Man says:

If Clausen goes #1, you’ll be one of the only mock’s that had him there and you’re legacy as a Draft Guru will be legendary.

But a TE in the 3rd?? Trying for the ‘ol Trifecta eh?
    Do you really think we’ll go that route with a pretty good bunch of TE’s on the roster already??

TE in the third is simply a BPA scenario. And judging from who the Vikes brought in for pre-draft visits… they might be looking to replace JimmyK. An unusual amount of Tight Ends on that list.

17. Fran the Man says:

Hey Adam,
    You’re on Walters football and you’re standing alone there as far as your #1.
    I’m telling you, if Clausen gets picked first, Kiper and Clayton will be calling you, looking for advice.

Thank you for pointing out how crazy I actually am Fran 🙂

You know us Alaskans… bitter, contrarian, independant.

• Tomb... says:

The term “nuttier than squirrel shit” comes to mind my crazy Alaskan friend.

HOWEVER, if Clausen IS the first guy drafted (snicker-snicker-won’t-happen-snicker), I’ll be the first to give you your due props.

• Fran the Man says:

“bitter, contrarian, independent”
        Hey! I resemble that remark!

But “nuttier than squirrel shit”??
        Well, I guess I resemble that remark too…

We can’t all be Sarah Palin, Tomb.

Fran, I scrolled down the list and Adam isnt the only one on Clausen. But very few.

18. Adam Warwas says:

Well, you guys are all making me feel self concious now… so here is an actual scout talking about these guys at the beginning of April. If I had to guess, he’s a Cleveland of Cinci guy but it doesn’t say:

Did someone say the Twins? First pitch is in 30 minutes, as Tomb already knows.

Freds can’t wait for baseball season to end!

Isn’t this the last year for baseball in the Metrodome?

Ahh… that would have been last year, Mr. Smoots. The Twins opened in a new stadium this year, guess you hadn’t heard. (“Target Field” ring a bell?) My eldest is at the game today, sent me a nice photo on his phone. Darndest thing, these new gadgets.

Gettin close for ya Freds,, only 6 months to go before the season ends.

• Tomb... says:

6 months.

That sounds all fine and well, but not unlike dog years, it has to be measured in baseball months. Doing the math, it’s 452 months to go.

You are correct, dog years is well stated.

Really? A new stadium? THIS year? Target Field… has a nice ring to it.

Loved the sport as a kid, the money has consumed the game. Let Freds guess, the concept of the cheap seats in the new stadium is gone. Now it costs $150 – $175 for cheap seats, parking, a dog, and a Colt 45?