Draft Week Questions

In a week in which we’ve exhausted almost all of our speculative brain cells, your questions were much appreciated as a conversation starter.

Bigjohnny84 Asks:  Adam, was there any interest at all from any team in aquiring Tjack or Ray Ray? I didnt see or hear anything at all. That to me is very telling.

This is an interesting question to me because I am quite shocked at the lack of RFAs being signed to offer sheets.  The April 15th deadline for doing so has already come and gone with none of the Vikings RFAs getting an offer sheet and the Vikings making no effort to go after another team’s RFA.

This could speak to how highly teams regard this draft class, and are reluctant to part ways with their picks.  Some folks also think that the lack of interest points to collusion between all the NFL owners in an attempt to gain further leverage in the CBA negotiations by limiting the number of big contracts being dished out in the uncapped year.

Publicly, Tarvaris Jackson did not receive any known interest from other teams.  Considering what guys like Brady Quinn, Derek Anderson, and even Donovan McNabb were traded for, it is not too surprising that a team would not offer up a third round pick for Jackson.

Edwards was rumored to have had some interest from the Saints and the Eagles, but nothing became of it as they filled the need elsewhere.

It is entirely possible that these players are still traded, but the season is now closed for RFA offer sheets.

B. Grant Asks:  Adam – there seems to be more than the usual speculation about the Vikes trading and moving on or before Draft Day. Is any of this more than the usual smoke and mirrors, or are there reasons to believe the Vikes are more likely to be involved in some moving on DD than in most years?

Rick Spielman has a track record of moving around in the draft, so any time he is working for a team there will be anticipation of draft day movement.

Putting aside all talk of upgrading this team, the fact is that they were a Super Bowl contender and have only lost a trio of backups (Chester Taylor, Artis Hicks, and Karl Paymah).  If Taylor’s roll can indeed be filled from within the organization, Ryan Cook can take over as a utility offensive lineman, and Asher Allen is ready to step up, then the Vikings are a 12-4 football team with very few immediate needs.

My point with this, is that the Vikings could very well choose to be very selective on draft day.  They may opt to sacrifice quantity in order to trade up and get a guy they really have confidence in.  With this draft class, they may have (for example) 17 players with a top ten grade.  If one of those players falls to, say, the 27th spot… perhaps they trade up to get him.

I do expect them to move around over the course of the draft and scoop up the players they truly covet.

c.carterhof Asks:  Lets say the Vikes dont get their stadium. They move to…lets say LA. The name “Vikings” doesnt fit well there, and they change their name to…”Quakers”. What the hell do we do? This team means alot to us, no? What do you do Adam? I think I would cry.

I don’t like to think about it either.

When asked this question, however, my response is always the same.  I’ll become a Texans fan.

I just feel bad for that organization.  They seem to be overshadowed, even within their own state, and I can’t say I’ve ever actually met a Texans fan.  I don’t think I have ever seen someone wearing a Texans jersey walking down the street.  That makes me sad.

Every team should have die hard fans.

So, if the Vikes move to L.A., well, you will probably be able to find me over at Texans Gab!

B. Grant Asks:  Adam, who are the biggest Viking high pick busts that come to your mind?

Well, Bud, you probably have a better historic take on the Vikings than I do.

When it comes to relatively recent drafts (since the 7 round format) I have to put Dimitrius Underwood, Erasmus James, and Troy Williamson into competition for this honor.

With Underwood winning by a landslide.

Fran the Man Asks:  What do you think the chances are that we go after a running back earlier than expected?  Say within the first 3 rounds?

I think the chances are decent.

The Vikings will take the best player available, I have faith in that.  If the Vikings highest ranked player is a running back, whether it be the first round or the seventh, I would expect the Vikings to select the running back or to trade back.

Landing a promising running back like Joe McKnight or Montario Hardesty would help ease the pain of seeing Chester Taylor head to Chicago, and could also be just what Brett Favre needs to see to make up his mind to return.

Krugjr Asks:  Adam…..all things considered, signings and roster changes, etc…..and with the NFC North teams all having a young gun QB now,(except the Purple) do you sense we’re getting ready for some kind of a draft day move for one of the top two QBs?

It would be nice, wouldn’t it?

I would love to see the Vikings land Bradford or Clausen, as I think we could put all the “quarterback of the future” talk to bed for a decade with either of these guys.

With that being said, barring an Aaron Rodgers like slide in the first round, it will be very expensive for the Vikes to move up into the top ten and I don’t see them paying that price.

If all the people that think Clausen will slide deep into the first turn out to be correct, then I could see the Vikings trading in front of Arizona to snag him.

Krugjr Asks:  we’re sitting at #30…no trade down offers good enough because nobody thinks we’d take Tebow…….how about we take Tebow, then take calls, and trade offers, over night from the teams that thought they’d grab him top of rd two?

The three day format of the draft could bring some surprise strategies such as the one you are suggesting.

However, if the Vikings select tebow at #30, it isn’t because they want to trade him.  It is because they wanted him.

Ted brown #23 says:  Hey Adam, a whole throng of sports celeberties were in town last weekend signing autograghs. Cris Carter was among them and meeting him was awesome. He signed my 1994 authentic jersey with the quote “All He does is catch touchdowns!” Met Percy Harvin too. Well, anyway there’s some news. Not sure if it’s important, but it was to me.

This isn’t a question nor do I have much to say other than “very cool, man!”

57 Responses to “Draft Week Questions”

1. Norseman66 says:

After doing a lot of reading around the web a few of guys to watch for the Vikings to try to get are CB Cris Cook maybe in the first round for the Vikes, DT Cam Thomas possible 2nd round and RB Ben Tate 3rd round. I’d be very happy if 2 of 3 came to fruition.

Hey Norse what’s the scoop on Thomas and Tate? Adam already had a post on Cook, but I havent heard of the other two.

Funny stuff! Just clicked on AV and there’s a guy that gave Judd the Pudd a bunch of crap about his db draft analysis. very amuzing.

• Purple Charlie says:

I don’t usually read his column Johnny, But sense you did, I read it, The guy let him have it both barrells yeah !!!

Norse, We’re still hopeing for Pouncey in the 1st Right??? 5 more days!!!

Charlie, did you check out those two guys Norse was talking about? I like both of them alot. I’d like them to be wearing purple this year.

• Norseman66 says:

PC,

Pouncey would be nice but I really think he’ll be gone. If he’s there, great grab him. If not, I’m really sold on Kareem Jackson even if McCourty is there also. I’ve read that a few teams in the lower half of the first round are really impressed with Cris Cook also. So maybe the Vikes really have real interest in him. Can’t wait though!!! I took 3 days of vacation just for the draft!! 5 more days and the Raiders will pick another guy how can run fast!! Can’t play, but can run fast.

• Norseman66 says:

how=who

• Norseman66 says:

Johnny,

Cam Thomas is a big dude. He’s 6’5 and 330lbs and has top motor. He would be great on the D-line.

• Purple Charlie says:

Johnny, Yes I just checked them out, Cam Thomas being compared to Ryan Pickett is a good thing. Ben Tate looks like a bruiser, If he is anything like Michael Turner… wow !

Norse, I watched a little NFL Network the other night, I heard that Kareem Jackson was moving up draft boards… I guess I just have my heart set on a Fat man!!!

I hope the Raiders don’t disappoint us, Love to hear them get bashed during the draft!!!

• Norseman66 says:

Charlie,

The Raiders haven’t disappointed me for 4 years straight. Why should they now. As long as Al Davis is there, the odds are definitely in our favor:)

Johnny, don’t be a tattle tale.

Thanks for the replies, Adam, good job. We gotta throw Leo Hayden in the all-time busts, I think. We really thought we had something with that guy. As my dad used to say, “Yeah, we had something all right.” A dud.

5. Norseman66 says:

Adam,

Last year with Gramps at the helm, the Vikes seemed to get away from their bread and butter of running the ball. To me they were passing too much. It was also obvious that the O-line played with that mentality also. Do you see the Vikes drafting a OG, OT or C to bring a nastiness to the line? To me, they really need somebody on the line to pick up the intensity a few notches and just get plain ole junk yard dog mean, and run the ball at will.

Here is a possible answer to that question:

McKinnie is McKinnie and we know what we got.
      Hutch had his shoulder surgery and should be better than he was when he was playing through pain.
      Sullivan was a first year starter, and should improve with the experience.
      Herrera had shoulder surgery last ofseason, and should improve being a year removed from that now.
      Loadholt was a rookie, and should have learned enough to keep improving just like he did throughout his rookie season.

I’m not saying I agree with everything I just wrote, but I could see that all as being true in the eyes of the Vikings brass. That the O-Line will improve without bringing in a new starter. I suspect that they view the O-Line as less of a need than some fans.

I’m not saying they won’t take O-line help, just don’t expect them to reach for a guy if he isn’t the BPA.

• Norseman66 says:

I’m really concerned about the depth at OG. The Vikes officially have 2 on the roster (Hutch and Herrera).

The Vikes started the season with the philosophy of run first then pass. The line was so lousy they HAD to pass. The running game was unreliable. We can stat ourselves silly about Petersen’s numbers, but the fact is the run game was crap.

Hutch was hurt, Sullivan was new, Loadholt was a rookie, Herrera is average at best and McKinnie was, well you know.

So if Hutch is well, Sullivan and Loadholt are better, Herrera is replaced with a 1st round pick and McKinnie..well you know. We should be better. If not, then Herrera and Sully have to go. We just can’t affort to suck again at the run game. Only the coaches know for sure if Sully is a real center or not. We’ll find out next Thursday.

The investment this year should be on the offensive line first. With a new QB in two years, we will have to run the ball. It’s crazy we couldn’t run it last year even with our pass first mentality.

11 games with TOTAL TEAM rushing yards under 130 yards stinks. This wasn’t a philosphy change, it was an inability to execute.

7. Norseman66 says:

Adam,

Ant chance your meeting on Thursday will get postponed due locusts or floods? Any late April snowstorms on the way?

8. coolio says:

Thanks for backing up what I was thinking Adam. Our picks are all luxury picks if you think about it. Thats why I think the Vikings will select Mays or Weatherspoon with our 1st rounder. I really want a QB of the future

9. coolio says:

Still Pouncey is a safest choice.

10. Norseman66 says:

Adam,

The RFA like you said has come and gone with no takers for the Vikes players. However, my guy has a feeling they will make a trade during the draft. Any such premonitions on you side?

Wouldn’t be surprised to see wither T-Jack or Sage included in some sort of package trade. Edwards and McKinnie are next on that list but seem less likely. Berrian trade speculation seems to have all but evaporated, especially considering the poor value Santonio Holmes was dealt for.

11. Norseman66 says:

It’s been great talking to ya all. Gotta go to work now. Catcha later!

Is it Thursday yet? This stuff seems to be wearing pretty heavy on all of us. Time for a vacation on a tropical island somewhere. Maybe Ole could have us over to his place?

Is it possible Vike preference is to build draft position to select QB in 2011? Trading out of 1st round or trading Ray Edwards would achieve positioning for QB selection in 2011.

This would be consistent with view that personnel for next season is set.

14. Norseman66 says:

4 more days until D-Day!!!!!!! Whooo Hooo!!!
    Can we fast forward this week?!!!

15. wtfvikesfan says:

Bills to trade back into first for Tebow?
    9:51
    AM ET
    Buffalo Bills Top Email

The wait’s almost over as we head toward the first round of the NFL Draft on Thursday, and last week we considered whether the Buffalo Bills would go whaling with their first pick and take Bryan Bulaga, the OT from Iowa.

In this week’s edition of “Sunday at the Post,” Michael Lombardi of National Football Post wrote that he’s been hearing the Bills will, in fact, take an offensive tackle with their opening pick at No. 9 overall. Unsurprising, given the need and the talent available. But what is surprising is Lombardi’s other assertion, that the Bills are interested in Tim Tebow and “might have to move to the bottom of the first to be in position to get him.” Two key things here. First, saying the team “might have to move” into the back-end of the first round is obviously quite different than saying they “might move” to the back-end of the first round. There’s no insinuation that the Bills will definitely be making the trade. But the second insinuation here is that Lombardi believes — as some other pundits now argue — that Tebow will be a first-round draft pick.

If that second point proves true — that multiple teams want Tebow badly enough to either use their first-rounder or trade back into the round to grab him — the final ten picks could be very exciting on Thursday. As for the fit for Tebow on the Bills, we have argued in the past that Bills coach Chan Gailey will need an athletic QB under center if he chooses to use his spread offense in Buffalo, and Tebow is certainly athletic.

• Norseman66 says:

I hope this is true. The Vikes could be in a great spot to hear offers for their draft spot and pick up some great extra picks for this deep draft.

This is all noise. All fluff before the draft,Tebow is not a first rounder. Freds wouldn’t mind seeing him in purple, but the idea that they take him at 30 at the best player available is silly.

Trade back purple if possible! If he is a first rounder, trade 30 to some sucker and move back.

Extra picks would be nice… Well whatever happens, It’s almost here!!!

Hello to all of Freds fragile friends –

As it appears a reality that our old pal Adam will not be doing the right thing this Thursday quitting his job to host the draft chat, your old pal Freds will be hosting a yahoo chat. This will only be a temporary measure to hold us over until AK gets his priorities straight and gets back into the draft seat either late Thursday eve or Friday to host the VG chat.

Here is what you can expect from Freds “last annual” draft chat:

1) No significant analysis.
    2) No inside knowledge.
    3) Not much of anything that makes any sense really.
    4) Johnny being Johnny
    4) Just an open room where we can chat live.

If you want to join, here’s what you will need to do. Create a yahoo ID and download yahoo messenger. Send Freds an email at Vikesdraft@yahoo.com. Let Freds know what your ID name is as part of your email. Be online 15 minutes prior to the start of the draft, signed into yahoo messenger using your id. Freds will invite you into the chat room. If you get on later, send Freds an email or yahoo instant messenger message and he will invite you.

Fred will be in and out of the draft Thursday evening but I will leave the link up.

Here’s to hoping AK quits his job or has someone actually manning the ship at VG.

• Norseman66 says:

It must have been a tie for 4th on your list:)

• Norseman66 says:

Is there a two drink minimum for this event?

I knew my old pal Fragile would come through in the clutch. Thanks Freds! I hope I can figure out the yahoo messenger thing. Wait, that’s why I have kids, to help me figure these things out. So count me in Freds and Norse, definitely a two drink minimum.

Rather than go through all those technical details on Thursday, one of which I am sure I would do wrongly, let me just say here and now without any reservations whatsoever… whatever Freds says in that chat room should not be held against him the next day.

19. Viking John says:

Freds, are you sure you will be able to make it?
    Last time we did something with the draft you had a date or something? Not to say that Mrs. Freds isn’t hot or so, but football is football.
    I will be around.
    Go 45’s
    Go Vikes

Freds, will this be a PG-13 chat?

Johnny,

Freds will only use poor language if Tebow goes in the first round.

What about the rest of us old pal? Dont want to drop the F-bomb and get dumped. I know Freds will be looking for some reason to dump his old pal. So give us the limits up front so we dont draw Freds’s wrath. Scary thing!

Freds will be dumping no one. Well, unless they seem too Packerish, then those are grounds to do so.

Thanks again Freds. We’ll sniff those cheeseheads out and send them packing. Hail Freds, Hail Freds. By the way, have you gotten any offers for your services this year?

Just what services are you referring to, johnny? Cruise director, chat room host, or shut down corner? This is a talented man, as you well know, so you will need to be more specific.

Coach, i was referring to the shut down corner employment. He can do the rest of his well known abilities the rest of his life but Father Time is the judge of what he does this year. I’ll bet somebody picks him up as a reserve shut down corner. But I could be wrong. I think he’s after Adams job.

• Purple Charlie says:

Freds with you in charge, I can’t miss that!!! Will have to get the Mrs. to do the Yahoo messenger…

See Johnny, Your not the only one that needs help!!!

Purple Charles,

For the love of Pete! The women makes your bed, cooks your meals, cleans the house, makes your coffee, feeds the pets, changes the oil in your car, cuts the lawn, brings home the bacon, sweeps the garage, shovels the snow out of the driveway and now you have her being your tech guru? Come on! Man up! Get off your barn ass and figure out the yahoo thing for yourself.

I guess that’s all.

Ha Ha…Freds stands corrected again Charles.

Hope to see you there!