What Could Sheppard Signing Mean?

After nearly seven weeks of free agency, the Vikings just signed their third player, cornerback Lito Sheppard.

The transaction took place on the eve of the first round of the NFL Draft and many fans and draftniks will be scrambling to figure out what it means.ย  So, what does it mean?

The short answer is “I don’t know.”

The long answer is the signing could mean a number of things.ย  Lets take a look at a few of them:

• The Vikings don’t feel like they will be able to pull the trigger on a cornerback in the first round.
  • The Vikings are not as taken with this year’s cornerback class as many folks might have suspected.
  • This is a smokescreen and the Vikings are secretly hoping to land a top notch corner tomorrow.
  • Asher Allen has not developed like many people had hoped.
  • Cedric Griffin’s injury rehab is not going well and they expect him to miss considerable time.
  • The Vikings simply wanted to fill out their roster (they lost three active players and have now gained three) before the draft which frees them up to take the best player available.
  • The Vikings are less concerned with quantity of picks this year and may try to trade up.
  • The Vikings feel their roster is nearly complete and may try to trade out of 2010 and gain some picks in 2011.
  • The Vikings may expect to deal away one or more of their own players during the draft.
  • Tim Tebow.

We’ll find out soon enough, I guess.

43 Responses to “What Could Sheppard Signing Mean?”

1. starrc10 says:

Does he tackle? Can he play safety? Asher Allen will have the starting spot from Lito due to injury by Favrageddon III.

I am getting so excited for the draft tomorrow. I am guessing we will draft Defense, it won’t be a DE.

• G.P. says:

Starrc10 you are in fact an insightful and humorous man. Thanks for the continued Double A support I for one really appreciate it.

Asher…step up man! Step your game up! We need ya man, get off the matt. It’s now or never Asher.

Tomorrow…Fat, mean, steroid infested, beefy ass lineman! Bring it on!

• Purple Charlie says:

You read my mind Freds!!!

• G.P. says:

Asher has his business on lock trust me. He wants to stunt on some people just as much, wait… even more so than we want and need him to. Kid is working just keep the faith he can and will handle it. I’m not worried I’m ready for his sophomore run to be a great one. 21 21 21

GP, I have a really good feeling that AA will start the season on the starting roster. Lito will be a capable backup though. And I hate to agree with Freds but first round has to go to the big steriod, infested, beefy ass lineman

• G.P. says:

What’s up Johnny! I really really like your good feeling ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Fran the Man says:

The rap on the guy is he’s not much of a tackler, kind of like our dear pals, Freds.
    Hope to hell they (Spielman) know what they’re doing.
    This most likely means no CB in the first, unless we trade up.
    Probably going OL or. . .gulp. . . Tebow.

Come on now Frans!

5. Norseman66 says:

Let me see, signing a corner who’s afraid to tackle. Doesn’t sound like a much of an upgrade over Paymah if you ask me. I hope they go CB in the first now. If this is what the Vikes are banking to solve their secondary woes, it’s gonna be a long season already.

6. starrc10 says:

Fragiles,

It would be great to keep our O-Line on the up and up… I just keep thinking in circles trying to decide what I think will happen. Its futile. Futile Fred Smoot, even.

Come on Starrcs, hike up that skirt and make a prediction boy. What will they take?

or Tebow?

If he is the BPA, sure. Some would argue that Tebow isn’t in the top 30 of this draft class, and I can understand that (although disagree), but who knows where the Vikes have him.

Actually, this Sheppard signing makes me more inclined to see the Vikes trade UP in the first.

They lost three, have signed three this offseason. Any player selected will displace somebody already on the active roster. It makes sense for them to go get the guy they REALLY want.

And if that happens, sadly I won’t be around to miss it ๐Ÿ™

Speaking of, if Freds is looking for a way out of the live chat thing. Matt Loede is hosting a live chat on our mother site (nflgridirongab.com) and should be pretty fun.

There will be folks from all the different teams and Matt has promised to approve comments as quickly as he can manage (trust me, live chats aren’t as easy as they sound).

So feel free to head over there tomorrow and represent Vikings Gab like you all know how!

I’ll even see if i can get him to send me the code so that the live chat will also be running here at VG.

AK –

Can you even imagine the melt down your old pal Fragile will have if they pick Tebow with the 30th pick overall?

I think Freds would melt just a bit, but by training camp he would come around to it. Especially after Johnny and I have the chance to explain Tebow’s merits to him over a nice steak dinner (on him, of course).

To clarify, Freds is a big Tebow fan, would like to see him in purple, just not in round 1 or 2 for that matter.

The live chat here sounds good. As long as someone has one, the thought of Johnnys around out on the street in Iowa somewhere is scary. Have to get that boy something to do.

Hi guys. Adam, cant wait for the steak and 45’s. Freds had better pay up or else. But I gotta agree with Fragile that Tebow would be alot better 3rd or even 2nd rounder for Vikes.

I wouldn’t disagree with that. Even Adrian Peterson would be a better third rounder than first. But Adrian wouldn’t have been there in the third or second, of course. And the question is where does Tebow go.

If the Vikings have a first round grade on him then he’s worth it at 30, if they don’t then they shouldn’t consider him until the second… simple as that.

13. starrS10 says:

The Vikings will draft Mike Iupati, after the Packers trade up for Bryan Bulaga.

Now watch in amazement, Fred’s 45, as my prediction comes to pass.

Maybe they just wanted a dude named Lito on the team.

15. G.P. says:

“Asher Allen has not developed like many people had hoped” Excuse me but I think 27 tackles 1 interception and a forced fumble is some pretty good development. He was out the first half of the season so given the kid’s short period of play I think he did well. I’m sorry if he forgot to stop the war and end world hunger too. There is just no pleasing some people. The kid did just fine. Thanks I’m really rather happy with his progress he’s moving along just as I’d hoped.

I agree GP, the kid did fine. Sometimes Adam rattles on a bit, but we love him anyways.
    And dont worry about the war and world hunger, Mr.Tebow will take care of that!

17. G.P. says:

Just as its my job to emphasize the good. Criticize him all you’d like football is a tough game and so is the life that comes along with being a pro player. Just as it your duty to distribute the praise and spurn when needed. It is my duty to defend the kid. Fish swim, bees sting, you write I respond such is the way it is and will always be. Welcome back Sherlock. ๐Ÿ™‚