DAY TWO: Second & Third Round Live Chat

Okay, everybody, thanks for sticking with me as our draft coverage has been slightly more scarce than what we would prefer in this neck of the woods.  I’m as dedicated to my day job as I am this one, and every now and again they conflict with each other.

BUT…

Now I’m here and am going to be with you for EVERY Vikings draft pick of 2010.  Here are the guidelines about our live chat:

• On your first few comments, please be patient.  I have to approve you as an “unmoderated user” before you can comment in real time.
  • There can only be thirty “unmoderated users” before I have to approve each comment individually, so please only use one screenname throughout the chat as that will give more people a chance to join in unmoderated.
  • Please keep comments at a PG-13 rating… unless the Vikings pass on Jimmy Clausen… again.
  • Enjoy yourself and have fun!

28 Responses to “DAY TWO: Second & Third Round Live Chat”

just to answer Freds question on the chat, do you put Toby on the same level of playmaker as AD and Percy? Didnt think so

2. Adam Warwas says:

If blocks count, then maybe. But Gerhart was taken mcuh much later than those two guys.

Sad to see Mike Johnson and Rennie Curran and Jimmy Graham go at the end of round three… sure would’ve been nice to have that pick.

3. Norseman66 says:

On the bright side. Cam Thomas is still available.

The question wasn’t are they on the same level, the question was is he a play maker? Johnny have you even seen this kid play? Didn’t think so.

Nobody wanted the first two picks to be o lineman more than Freds. But if you watched any film on Gerhart, which I suspect you have not, you wouldn’t have to ask if he’s a play maker.

Will he be in the pros? Fred has no clue.

Freds, AK posted video on Toby not too long ago and yes I like the guy and he’s a good back. I’m not arguing that but we do have AL YOUNG AND Ian Johnson. We didnt need to reach for toby or Cook for that matter. We have no depth on the o-line at all. I dont consider Ryan Cook as the next Artis Hicks. So I’ve seen film on Toby and AD and Percy.

5. ssnova44 says:

I saw Toby play a lot this year in the Pac 10. He was a man amongst boys….just a punishing runner with decent wheels.

Not sure if he was the right pick or not, but I’m intrigued with the pobbility of having a lot of packages w/ he and AD in the backfield.

I know you Tahi lovers don’t want to hear that…

6. Viking John says:

Toby is the man. This makes John’s day. Like Loadholt last year, we got our guy. Hope tomorrow is just as good. Have to see if the 2nd Cook is better than the first……
    Go Vikes

7. Norseman66 says:

Here some analysis I found about the Vikings picks:

The Vikes acquired this pick from division-rival Lions and many speculate Jimmy Clausen as heir-apparent to Brett Favre. A defensive back could also be used here.

Looks like Minnesota goes with a cornerback by taking Chris Cook out of Virginia. He’s a big corner that was rated the best available at his position. Probably a smart pick for the Vikings that will benefit them more in 2010.

The Vikings trading up for the Texans pick and now Toby Gerhardt is on the phone. Makes sense for the Vikings to make this pick, but why didn’t the Texans just take Toby themselves?

This guy is a beast of a running back and plays hard. I really like him and think the Broncos were seriously hoping to get him in the draft.

If I were a safety in the NFC North I demand to be traded right now. Adrian Peterson and Toby Gerhardt will combine to be a brutal combo in Minnesota.

8. Norseman66 says:

Just remember, We still have 6 picks.

Norse, just remember the pickins get slimmer and sliummer as the draft goes on

• Viking John says:

This is the part of the draft where alot of core players come from. Hopefully we get one or two.
        Go Vikes

• Norseman66 says:

However, this is one of the deepest drafts in many years. You can still find very good, solid in the 4th thru 7th rounds. Also keep in mind, there’s virtually no one who gets a better UDFA class than the Vikes.

• c.carterhof says:

Slimmer and Sliummer, now that sounds like a cool law firm!

9. Viking John says:

Nobody on our starting o-line has left. Same starters as last year. Hopefully they all improve. The only guy I wanted that we didn’t get was the guard from il, the Chiefs got him.
    Would have made a good backup to start. We have some more picks tomorrow, not all is lost yet.
    Go Vikes

Dont forget John our runnning game was shit last year.

• Viking John says:

Wasn’t shit, but could be better, yes. Toby will help that along with tomorrows draft. Have faith boys, things will come together.
      Go Vikes

AD couldnt do it. So I doubt Toby can doit

12. Viking John says:

There is no one position that the Vikes needed to draft for need. Every position is okay, not great, but okay. We need to upgrade and support a few areas, but there is no area that is completely lacking. imo
    Go Vikes

13. Viking John says:

I agree if Pouncy would have been there, get him at 30. Toby only needs about 5-10 touches a game, he will make you say Chester who?
    Go Vikes

14. Coolio says:

How about a fat guy in round 4? Who’s with me?

Cam thomas DT 4th round
    Bruce Campbell OT
    John Skelton QB 5th round
    Tony Pike QB

If they really went with the BPA, DE Everson Griffen USC would be a nice pick…

I know we aren’t hurting for a DE…