Vikings Swindle Lions… Or Perhaps Other Way Around

After a long evening, the Vikings were on the clock with the thirtieth pick of the 2010 draft.  Quarterback Jimmy Clausen is still on the board.  Then the phones start ringing.

The Vikings fielded a few offers, but in the end it was divisional enemies the Detroit Lions that offered the best package and the Vikings pulled the trigger.  The gave the Lions the thirtieth pick of the first round in exchange for the second pick in the second round.  In addition, the Vikings moved up 28 spots in the fourth round and also picked up one of the Lions seventh round picks.

“I think the value of going up and having those slots that we were able to get was very important to us,” Rick Spielman said. “And I think if there was a player at 30 that we were definitely sold on that we said there was no way that we’d trade out of this pick to have that player, then we wouldn’t have done it. But I think with us having the options to look at [Friday] that we were able to still potentially get a player that we may have taken at 30, and help ourselves with our slots.”

The Lions had already drafted the very highly respected Nadukong Suh with the second pick of the draft which should go a long ways towards stabilizing their dwindling defense.  After trading with the Vikings, however, they added a potential superstar to their offense in Cal running back Jahvid Best.

It will be years before we know who got the better end of this inter-division deal, but Detroit has to be fairly happy with themselves.

On the other hand, the Vikings are also feeling pretty happy.  If Spielman was truthful when he said they were not sold on any particular player at #30, then they are in a good position to get a player they coveted at #30 anyways but gained some more draft position.

In short, the Vikings started the day with eight picks in seven rounds.  They ended the day with nine picks in six rounds, but only moved back four spots.

One could argue that the second pick of the second round is a more powerful pick than the #30 pick anyways.  After all, the Vikings have all night and morning to field even more trade offers.

You all know that I would be ecstatic if they landed Jimmy Clausen tomorrow, but I don’t know if I am too sure that is going to happen.  There are many god players that slid out of the first round and are still on the board.  In addition, a team like the Bills may trade with the Rams and jump ahead of the Vikings to snag him.

Assuming the Vikings do pick a player at #34 tomorrow afternoon, let’s take a look at which top players fell into the second round and could end up in purple:

• Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame
  • Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland
  • Everson Griffen, DE, USC
  • Charles Brown, OT, USC
  • Sergio Kindle, OLB, Texas
  • Taylor Mays, SS, USC
  • Terrence Cody, NT, Alabama
  • Rodger Saffold, OT, Indiana
  • Carlos Dunlap, DE, Florida
  • Golden Tate, WR, Notre Dame

The point?  The Vikings have a lot of very solid options tomorrow.

25 Responses to “Vikings Swindle Lions… Or Perhaps Other Way Around”

1. Vikingfan788 says:

Taylor Mays the vikes need a saftey

2. Norseman66 says:

Don’t forget about CB Cris Cook.

3. Tony Pants says:

Tony liked the draft. Tony wants to be a viking someday when he growup.

4. krugjr says:

The Vikings wanted Patrick Robinson
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 23, 2010 9:50 AM ET
    Last year around this time, Vikings coach Brad Childress crowed about snatching Percy Harvin one pick before the Patriots, who Childress believed was set to take him.

This year, Childress and Vikings G.M. Rick Spielman may have outsmarted themselves.

Both Judd Zuldad and Chip Scoggins of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune report that the Vikings traded down to No. 34 with the hope of selecting Florida State cornerback Patrick Robinson.

It looked like a safe move, but Saints surprised the Vikings (and everyone else) by taking a cornerback at No. 32.

With Minnesota’s apparent favorite target off the board, a trade down early in the second round seems even more likely.

from PFT……….arrrrggghhhhhh

• Purple Charlie says:

Krug, Do you think they would let Judd and Chip know that if they made a mistake, or do you think Judd and Chip are just reading into it???

Just can’t picture the Staff letting Judd and Chip know whats going on … Just my opinion

• krugjr says:

Charlie……believe you’re right…most of that “info” is just their gut feeling, and PFT is good at making those opinions sound like facts…..even if team liked Robinson, LIKE I DID!!!!!!!, he was evenly rated with others and the trade was OK……what confuses me though is the way Spielman’s always saying we’ll stay true to our board and pick BPA…..where the hell was BPA at #30?

GO VIKES!!!!!

• Purple Charlie says:

Krug, He must have felt pretty strong about it not to take the BRA at 30… I guess they feel they can still get their man, Plus grab a pick and swap in the 4th…

It’s almost like 2 late 3rds now…

5. Tomb... says:

Clausen?

Kindle?

Evil Dead star Bruce Campbell?

The tension is palpable…

Not sure I agree, Tomb. I think the tension is very noticable and obvious, almost like you can feel or touch it! That’s what I think. Oh wait…. (click, click, click) yeah, I agree, its palpable.

I was thinking it would be Clausen, but now I am leaning toward CB Cook. Then Rick will say they had Cook ranked higher than Robinson all along.

6. Tony Pants says:

i like you tomb do you like me?

7. krugjr says:

NFL Net’s coverage blew away ESPN…….ESPN crew was old, tired, un-informed, confused, poorly matched, lacking chemistry, etc…….. NFL Net has arrived big-time! IMHO

GO VIKES!!!!!

Rich Eisen and gang are fun to watch, I like Mike Mayock, Him doing the Vikings Pre-season is a plus too!!!

Your right, Chemistry is Great…

• krugjr says:

I taped ESPN and watched NFL Net…….watched a little taped ESPN afterwards and it didn’t take but a few minutes to tell Jackson was sick and tired of listening to and being cut off by motor mouth and mr ego, Steve Young…..Jackson’s expression????? wow, if looks could kill…..

GO VIKES!!!!!

• Purple Charlie says:

I’m with ya on Steve Young… Too bad Tom couldn’t switch to NFL Network. But he is one of the guys that makes the show, So he isn’t going anywhere…

Maybe we can send him some Duct tape next year!!!

9. Adam Warwas says:

Okay guys, I have a long drive ahread of me. But barring any avalanches, moose attacks or Russian invasions I should have the live chat up and running about 1/2 hour before show time. See you then!

10. Tony Pants says:

be safe mister warwas there are decepticons everywhere!!!! bwaaaak bwaaak bwaaak

Don’t worry about the Russian invasion, Adam, Sarah says whe has that covered. Whew, thats a relief!

she (sorry)

13. Norseman66 says:

Chip and Judd suck! Are you going to tell me if the Vikings were going to target Robinson, that they wouldn’t have taken him with the 30th pick? Chip and Judd are morons and know nothing about the draft.

14. krugjr says:

Norse…….hope you’re right cuz I was so bummed when the saints picked him…….I also didn’t understand the “report” (Spielman) that all 4 players we were targeting are still available…….that makes no sense to me at all…..

GO VIKES!!!!!

15. drandy galli says:

I need to start doing thing rather wacthing for ther windows, see pople walk and so on
    owcnhgkhy owcnhgkhy