Post Draft Food For Thought

After reading this article by Vikes Geek regarding the Vikings use (or perhaps mis-use) of their high round draft picks, well, I got to thinking… which is scary.

In the article, Vikes Geek theorizes that the Vikings would have been better off giving up their first and third round picks on Patriots restricted free agent Logan Mankins.  His opinion is based off of the simplified view that the Vikings really only got Chris Cook and Toby Gerhart in exchange for their top three picks.  Under his plan, they would have landed a Pro Bowl caliber guard in his prime and still had a second round pick to use as they pleased.

I will disagree that all the Vikings got were Gerhart and Cook, as part of the trade with Detroit also resulted in the Vikings moving up far enough in the fourth round to land defensive end Everson Griffen, who was widely regarded as a big steal at that point.  Plus, they used the additional seventh rounder on tight end Mickey Shuler.

Furthermore, the money given Mankins would almost undoubtedly far exceed the financial commitment given to our three new rookies combined.

Putting aside the nuances of which trades resulted in what and how financial details would affect our cap space when/if a cap is ever reinstituted; Vikes Geek makes a whole lot of sense.

Here is a combination of restricted free agents that I came up with if we used our first three picks to land proven players entering their prime:

–          Left Tackle Jared Gaither, Age 24, First Round Level

–          Cornerback Richard Marshall, Age 25, Second Round Level

–          Guard Evan Mathis, Age 28, Third Round Level

This would still leave the Vikings with five late round picks to find a running back and reserve special teamers.

I’m not saying I 100% agree with this approach, and time will reveal whether or not the Vikings drafted well, but adding the three guys listed above instead of adding Gerhart and Cook sure would be tempting to a team that was only a coin flip away from the Super Bowl.

What say you all?  Do you think this would have been a better approach?  Do you have a better combination of restricted free agents?  Let me know in the comments section.

17 Responses to “Post Draft Food For Thought”

I like Adams scenario better than what we got.

Can anyone explain to me why Vikes had no interest in Faneca? I see he signed with Cards.

I alluded to this a few times prior to the draft, but the Vikings REALLY like Herrera. They weren’t going to let one post-surgery season end his time on the starting line.

That is why I didn’t even bother with an article talking about the prospect of Faneca joinging the team…

Switching him to the right side after 12 years on the left, giving Herrera the boot, shaking things up on a line that had two new starters last season… just didn’t seem like soemthing they would entertain to me.

Adam, my only thought was one that you brought up. Move Herrera to center. We have a weak spot in the middle somewhere.

• Purple Charlie says:

Adam, Do you think Herrera’s post surgury was lingering into the season??? Plus playing beside Sully, It was tough for Sully filling in for Matt Birk…

Yes, I thought in 2008 Herrera played at a near Pro Bowl level. The combination of his shoulder surgery and Birk’s departure hurt his play. Hopefully Hutch doesn’t go through the same thing with his shoulder surgery this offseason.

If Sully can improve (no reason he shouldn’t) and his shoulder is 100%, herrera might be a pleasant surprise this season.

Sorry guys but if these guys cant do their jobs, we need to at least try something different. Right or wrong.

• c.carterhof says:

Yes johnny, I agree 100%.

That maybe the smartest thing Ive ever heard you say (or read you type).
      I happen to like Herrera. Dates back to the Tice era, he said Herrera was a buttkicker. I like that.
      “If you got our guy kickin the guys butt across from him, and our other guy kickin his guys butt, and so on, thats alot of butt kickin”.-Mike Tice

Gotta love that statement, even if he was a meathead.

I do wish the O-line had been adressed more in the draft.
      But its hard to argue with Chilly’s success.

4. Ole says:

something is wrong with that Jared Gaither guy
    maybe he’s related to Jerkpepper

5. Tony Pants says:

Ole- YOU ARE MY FATHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. olderthandirt says:

OH NO!!!!

7. krugjr says:

starting to see why we passed on QBs this year…..check out next year’s QBs with 1st rd talent…..4 or 5 of them with fairly equal talent…..leads me to think chilly already has his eye on them for next year!

sorry, Adam, I got off the subject

GO VIKES!!!!!

That’s a good point, but a lot can change in a year. For example… one year ago, everyone thought Jevan Snead was a first rounder (with Tebow, Clausen, Bradford, and McCoy). Look how that turned out.

8. Favrelous says:

Any scenario with RFAs is make believe. There has to be a reason so few RFAs Were signed. I think the owners want players to feel the pain. Ray Edwards is complaining about his pain. Bottom line, an article talking about what ifs and RFAs are ignorant to the fact there was not a real RFA market.

9. WinnipegViking says:

Everyone needs to get over the draft. It takes approx 2-3 years to actually evaluate a draft class. What’s done is done. Deal with it. We have a solid team and I thought we drafted well.