Vikings Sense The Disappointment

I’m not sure how much contact writer Mike Wobschall has to the football guys in the organization.  I would guess that he is a direct conduit that puts out articles that display Vikings-related news in as positive of a light as possible.

Especially after reading his most recent article.

The article is titled “Time Will Tell” and is essentially a public service announcement telling fans not to get their undies in a bunch if they are a part of the group that thinks the Vikings botched this draft big time.

The article uses some good examples of post-draft-analysis gone wrong.  Specifically, he points to news outlets that applauded the Vikings 2005 draft (Troy Williamson, Erasmus James, etc.) and killed them for their 2006 efforts (Chad Greenway, Cedric Griffin, Ray Edwards, etc.).

The point is well taken.

However, I found it interesting that the Vikings would put out an article like this in the aftermath of the draft.  A quick bit of research showed me that they have never bothered to warn against “draft grades” in any of the previous drafts.  In fact, in previous drafts they often tried to build the hype by highlighting positive remarks by guys like Mike Mayock.

So, 2010 appears to be the year that the Vikings feel compelled to tell the fans not to worry so much about the negative things being said about their draft class.

Which means they have heard the negative things said about their draft class.

But, as Wobschall so plainly puts it, “Time Will Tell.”

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Submit to Digg  Stumble This Story  Share on Twitter  Post on Facebook  Post on MySpace  Add to  Bark It Up  Submit to Reddit  Fave on Technorati

13 Responses to “Vikings Sense The Disappointment”

1. wtfvikesfan says:

Hey how about something relating to the Vikings new stadium. A bill is going to be introduced either friday or next monday. Sounds like it may pass.

2. olderthandirt says:

The Nfl Network’s Sapp,Woodson Didn’t Think Tony was a big enough change up over Taylor, was puzzled why they moved up for him…

Of course, Everyone had the Packers as being the team to win the NFC North…

That’s alright I guess,Those guys are the ones that said Favre and the Vikings would fall on their faces last year…

• Fran the Man says:

If memory serves, both woodson and sapp played defense. Took a lot hits too, it seems. . .
      I’m glad most of the “Experts” are giving the North to the Puckers.
      Takes a little pressure off the team and hopefully puts a chip on their shoulder.

4. starrc10 says:

I really think that, as this team was so well stocked at some many positions, we should have drafted for absolute quality… why not trade a few later round picks and pick twice in the first and once in the second?

5. starrc10 says:

Do you have any suggested reading for players that were scouted similar to Cook and Griffen? Maybe some happy ending stories and some bust stories? What was the word on Jimmy Kennedy when he was drafted? Why was he considered a better pick at the time than Kevin Williams?

Interesting thought for a story idea… once i catch a breath.

I would just google “Player A Scouting Report” and compare that to what comes up when you good “Player B Scouting Report.” Not too many sites advertise their scouting reports from years past, but if you use google you can usually find a few.

Also, “Pro Football Prospectus” is a great resource, but you would have to spend some $$ to get one most likely (its an actual, physical book… remember those?).

• olderthandirt says:

Hi Adam,

In previous weeks, when you were bored, you had asked for questions. I have one that is knawing at me, and is disappointment in a sense.

Can you tell me how or why the NFL picks the bye weeks for NFL teams?? Seems to me the playoff teams should have a later bye week. IMHO

That is a good question, Older.

I think the NFL gave Minny the week four bye this year becuase of a request I made. You see, Mrs. Warwas is due to give birth pretty much right during week four so I called up old Rog Goodell and BAM! he made it happen.

Just kidding.

To be honest i don’t know the answer to your question, other than the NFL generated thousands of different scenarios for the schedule and then widdles them down based on certain criteria like conflicting stadium usage, wanting division games in week 17, prime time games, traditions like Thanksgiving.

I would go the other way on your opinion, however. You can’t predict with certainty who will make the playoffs, so I would say it makes the most sense to give teams that played more games the previous year (like the Vikings) and suffered late season injuries (Griffin) an early week off to try and get their players back on the field.

I don’t think they did that, however, as the Saints have a week 10 bye, Colts week 7, Jets week 7. The bye week scheduling might be more random than we think it is.

All things being equal, I think the Vikings have a schedule that plays to their advantage.

10 days of rest before playing Fins in week two.

Two weeks of rest before playing the Jets in week 5.

This extra time allows guys like E.J., Ced, and any pre-season injuries stand a better chance at contributing throughout the season.

6. winnipegviking says:

This just shows how much media in all mediums has grown. Teams release statements through writers all the time. What really matters is what happens on the field. Nuff said.

7. olderthandirt says: