Is Ray Edwards Worth It?

Much attention has been given to the reports that Vikings starting left end Ray Edwards will not be signing his RFA tender until the last second, and thus will be skipping a number of offseason activities including the mandatory minicamp.

It is fully his right to skip these events hardly anybody blames him.  As everybody knows, fourth and fifth year players (such as Edwards) are getting a bum deal during this whole uncapped year thing.

I haven’t weighed in on the topic too much, and frankly, it is because I don’t see it as a real big deal.

Some people blame Edwards.  Some people blame the Vikings.  Some people blame the NFL and the Player’s Union.

What do I think?  I think Edwards isn’t worth the hype simply because he hasn’t proven much to me.

Edwards played decently his rookie season, primarily as a backup.  However, for four games in 2007 he was suspended for violating the NFL’s Steroid Policy, embarrassing himself and the team.

In 2008, he continued his loud-mouthed ways by predicting that the addition of Jared Allen would result in him easily beating the single-season sack record.  He got five, which landed him just a tad shy of the record.

Despite the advantage of lining up next to three Pro Bowl defensive linemen, Edwards still didn’t come close to any record breaking numbers in 2009.  His “breakout” performance included 8.5 sacks, which was a personal best for him.

Here is a look at his career stats from NFL.com:

Season

3.0
0.0
TOTAL
145
111
21.5

Cliff Avril.  Is that a name that you think should garner the type of publicity that Edwards has recently?  Probably not.  However, let us take a look at the relatively unknown third-year player’s production while playing next to one of the worst defensive lines in football:

Season

2008
Detroit Lions
5.0
0.0
TOTAL
10.5

Now, while I show you this comparison to illustrate why I firmly believe Ray Edwards has not produced anything special in his time with the Vikings, I would be remiss if I didn’t point out his postseason successes.

In two postseason contests, Edwards has managed eight tackles, four sacks, and two forced fumbles.

However, I firmly believe that a player that has yet to get double digit sacks, constantly runs his mouth, has been suspended, and whose productions rivals that of a relatively unknown Lion is by no means someone that will make or break your team.

If Edwards was indeed a defensive end with great value, then the Vikings probably would have at least given him a long term offer of some sort… which they didn’t.

Meanwhile, Edwards will be skipping activities and allowing the competition (Brian Robison and Everson Griffen) the chance to see extended time with the first team and perhaps even push him for playing time.  If one or both of these guys ends up taking regular season snaps away from Edwards, then he may have just inadvertently kept himself from ever signing that giant contract that he has “put his life on the line” to earn.

My point here isn’t to belittle any of Edwards accomplishments, or to rehash some negativities of the past, but rather to let you all know that this is a slow time of year and not to worry too much about how this thing is going to play out.

The Vikings will not trade Edwards.  Edwards will sign his tender after the mandatory minicamp (June 14th).  Edwards will play for the 2010 Vikings.  And Edwards will probably get his wish and be a free agent in 2011 because the Vikings do not consider him much more valuable than the compensatory pick they would get in return.

Only Edwards has the ability to change how all this goes down.  And that can be changed by him having a lights out year with the Vikings in 2010, which can only result in everybody ending up happy.

So stop fretting so much about Edwards!

UP NEXT:  Why aren’t people fretting about Brett Favre!?!  (just kidding)

23 Responses to “Is Ray Edwards Worth It?”

So is Freds correct in saying that by the beginning of this year each and everyone of our starting defensive line will have missed games for violating the NFL substance abuse policies?

That is crazy! What a bunch of jackasses. Heck, Freds is glad Ziggy and Brad are only bringing in “character” guys.

Sign Fat Albert, the Vikes could use a good head stomper.

2. greymous says:

Ray’s mouth and ego are way bigger than his talent to date. I wonder how “good” his stats would be if he was playing in Detroit.

Losing him would be no big deal as we’ve got plenty of talent who want the job and don’t need the aggravation of someone who feels that he is owed the job.

• GB Nordic says:

I do not think he is worth all the hype. Considering that he is on a line on is least likely to be double teams so that is why in the later part of the season he started to have some good games. The offensive was keying more on Allen or the Wall.

Well, your old pal Fragile has been away and is catching up on some old reading here at the blog. AK, it looks like you have a new writer, and a good one at that. Mikes, welcome to the blog.

Now that Freds formal welcome is complete. AK I hope you do background checks on your new writers because Freds new pal Mike has gone George O’Leary on his resume just to get this new job. Read his profile again…

“Mike is an Advanced Chemistry Teacher at Permian High School (the Friday Night Lights school). He is also working on finishing his Master’s in Biology, and in 2011 will begin his Ph D. in Neurophysiology. Mike played H-Back and DE in high school and college, until a broken hip forced him to set his focus on school.”

Fred doesn’t mean to call his new pal Mike a liar, but this dude is a liar and Fred will prove it:

1) He is an Advanced Chemistry teacher AND a Viking fan? Right! Too damn smart to be a Viking fan. How many of you other idiots even took basic Chemistry in high school? Fred rests his case.

2) He teaches Advanced Chemistry in TEXAS? Please notice Friday Night Lights is about football and not education, it’s TEXAS. Both students in his class would probably do very well IF he really was a teacher in Texas.

3) Master’s in Biology, and in 2011 will begin his Ph D. in Neurophysiology. SURE! COME ON!
    Neuro what? COME ON!

Alright maybe it’s all true and your new pal is just jealous. Again welcome to the blog and Freds looks forward to your articles.

4. Mark S says:

Cliff Avril is no Ray Edwards.

Check profootballfocus.com to see where Ray ranks.

But if he is not that good then why not trade him for a 3rd or 4th round pick next year?

Why did they put a first round tender on him when a second would have been more attractive to other teams?

I guess the front office feels differently about his value but will not pay him.

His tender offer is not guaranteed until he is in the opening day roster and the Vikings can even cancel it before the start of the season.

He gets no money until the season starts and if he gets hurt in all these OTAs he will only get an injury settlement.

He can buy his own insurance in case of injury. I do not think the Vikings are offering to pay for any insurance.

So according to all the fans he should just be grateful he has a high paying job and go do what is right for them, er I mean the team.

Yeah right.

How come they gave EJ a new deal in December of his 4th year and Griffen a new deal in March before his 4th year? Edwards had just as good of a start as they did.

Griffen got 5 years for 28.5 mil with 10.5 mil guaranteed. EJ got 5 years for 25 mil with 10 mil guaranteed too.

Obviously with the CBA and 30% rule they cannot give Ray this amount but they could give him a 2 year deal for 10 mil with 7 guaranteed. That would show good faith andhe would be making average DE money which is about right.

I wonder if you think they will give Sidney Rice & Chad Greenway new deals this year or will they let their contracts expire too?

The Vikings are low balling Ray for some reason and it is not in their character to do this. I cannot recall the last player they did this to.

Either pay him or trade him.

And they will not get a compensatory pick either unless you believe they will not sign anyone during next year’s frfee agency. I find that hard to believe. I can think of LB, DT, and OL as prime positions for a free agent upgrade if possible next off season.

• starrC10 says:

Mark,

I have a theory. It might stem from the possibility that the Wilf’s are “checking out”. Its a long standing trend for team owners to cut way back on expenses (salaries) when they are starting to look at selling a team. ZygZag doesn’t want to be the guy that took the Vikings out of MN, but he is probably willing to sell them and let someone else do the dirty work.

Just a theory.

• Fran the Man says:

I don’t think so. I think it’s like a couple folks have already pointed out;
        He’s not that “Invaluable”
        His big mouth (Sack record and Favre going to disrupt the locker room)

We’ve got several guys on board that will fill in nicely, if need be.
        Plus the Vikings aren’t stupid, they KNOW he’ll sign and play his guts out this year, as it is a contract year for him.

Freds, I think you’re on to something there with “Mike.” He wouldn’t answer my question about his background here at the ‘Gab.
        Something fishy here, me thinks.

PLUS being from Texas?

By the way Mike (Or whatever your real name is) did you know that you could divide the great state of Alsaka in two and it would make Texas the THIRD largest state in the union?…

(Fourth at low tide, (true story))

5. Ole says:

Fran, you could divide Hawaii into eighths and it would still have a nicer climate than Alaska … and more chicks

Regarding Ray Edwards, he is an ok player, some occasional mental errors, but he had a solid year. Let him go to a team where he will be double teamed every play, then let’s see well how he does

Ray can be replaced

Freds = knows nothing about chemistry, team or otherwise

• Fran the Man says:

I don’t know Ole, it’s supposed to get into the high 50’s today here in Alaska.
      Top that!. . .oh, wait a minute. . .

By the way, I’m sort of looking around the big Island for a place. My brother-in-law lives in the Pahoa area, so we’re sort of looking around there.
      Any ideas on the best place to buy a house on the Big Island??

6. Dan K. says:

Adam – this article was spot on. I’ve always liked Ray Edwards, I was pretty high on him coming out of college. He has by no means been a bust, but he hasn’t been a stud either. I’m not going to lie, I think I could get 2 or 3 sacks on that defensive line (albeit through the QB tripping and me being the first to touch him).

However, towards the draft, I actually found myself wanting someone to make a trade for Edwards in exchange for the first round tender we placed on him. I was thinking we might be able to get a good OL with the pick in addition to our other late 1st round pick.

I think Robison is decent (not great, but decent), and I don’t think we would see a drastic drop off from the right side of our line with him in there instead of Ray.

The biggest thing going for Edwards right now was that the last game we saw him play in he was a BEAST. However, before the Vikes go and put so much money into his wallet, I’d like to see him put together a BEAST of a season. At least something around 12-14 sacks.

Here’s to hoping he’ll do just that.

Dan

7. Mark S says:

You guys just don’t get it.

It is very revealing to see the kind of attitudes some would take towards a player just because they can.

The Vikings can FORCE Edwards to play for the 2.5 mil which is not anything to sneeze at. Even Ray said that he knew it was great money compared to everyday people.

But that is not what he is worth.

So the Vikings can “squeeze” another year out of Ray and HOPE that he plays his arse off so that they can get a Super Bowl all the while knowing full well that they will NOT give him the contract he deserves after 2010.

They have not given him even decent money yet. If they would give him a 1 year deal for 5 mil then that would show good faith on their part and let Ray know they want him but want to find a salary that is appropriate. they have not even done that yet.

I dont see them doing that either.

So because Ray speaks up, the fans turn on him. I was saying trade him way before free agency even started because all the signs were there showing that they did not want to extend him. And fans were saying don’t get rid of him because he is an above average LDE. Now that he is asking to get paid like one the fans are turning on him and saying he has not done “that much” and he “needs to prove it again” and a whole bunch of other BS.

He has PROVEN it.
    He has FULFILLED his origin contract.
    He did not complain when Mitchell made MORE than him last year.
    He DESERVES a better deal NOW.

If the Vikings do not trade him and end up losing him next year for nothing then we will know just how stupid they really are.

And there is no guarantee that we would get a compensatory pick in 2012 because we more than likely will sign a free agent or two next year.

The young man deserves to get paid. He has earned it. If EJ & Griffen got new deals then Edwards can get a new deal.

To see people turning on him because he speaks up about it let’s me know how you guys roll.

I know you do not have his back.

Selfish fans.

• Dan K. says:

I don’t think we’re selfish fans. Edwards plays with 3 Pro Bowl lineman and still hasn’t registered a 10 sack season. He’s a good player, truth be told, but up to this point he hasn’t proven to be a legitimate game-changer. I’m fine with the Vikes waiting one more year to see if he can build off of his great NFC Championship game.

Also, I disagree that he has PROVEN it (probably evidenced by my comments above).

• Fran the Man says:

What, are you a cousin of Big-mouth Ray or something??
      You sure have his back for some reason.

The guy has a bad attitude and I’m sure that’s why the front office hasn’t done him any favors by signing him to a large contract. He spouted off about Favre becoming a locker room distraction and the there’s his embarrassing comments about breaking the sack record.
      The only games he really shined in were the playoffs. Other than those two games, he was just an average player. Less than average when you factor in he plays on the same line as 3 Pro-bowlers.

I won’t miss him next year.

• Mark S says:

OK. Then why did the front office place a first round tender on him?

Did they over value him thus scaring off other teams from making a trade?

And if he really is just average or less than average as you say, then why didn’t we try and trade him for a 3rd round pick at least during the draft?

If everything you say is true then they may as well trade him for a 3rd next year and consider themselves lucky.

But I think you are wrong. Go to profootballfocus.com and see where Ray ranks.

I will defend him because I think he is slightly above average and the mid point for DE salaries is about 5 mil. The Vikings are under paying him if he plays for 2.5 mil. Since his contract expired they should have done something by now.

I don’t care what the dude says as long as he plays. Only whiny fans get upset about player comments. Like he is a robot or something.

I think that the real reason is that the Vikings do not want to tie up to much of the cap on the defensive line.

The Vikings are low balling him and everyone knows it.

• Dan K. says:

Mark you’re wrong.

The reason because Ray had a first round tender on him is because they don’t want to give Ray away for nothing and all it really takes is one GM (who thinks like you) to say “Let’s trade our 1st round pick for this guy”.

You’re also wrong about the midpoint salary for DE’s. In 2009, only 20 DE had a salary of over $5 mil. If you look at the Cap value, that number goes up to 31 DE’s. Out of roughly 170 DE’s in the NFL, that’s hardly the middle. What was the average salary? $2.35 million. Sounds like Ray is doin’ well for a DE, especially one who hasn’t produced to the level of a top 30 DE.

It’s not that I don’t like Ray Edwards, but I am with the Vikes on this one – I can’t justify paying him the money he wants at this point. How could you be upset with the Vikes for waiting another year so they can figure out if he is a long term plan – if Ray thinks he’s worth that much, he can work his tail off in the games and make even more next year than he would have this year.

• starrc10 says:

Mark,

I hear what you are saying. I do like players to be treated fairly (I was very happy when they signed Griffen long term) and I think its unfair for players to make less than the guy below them on the depth chart (Jayme Mitchell as you pointed out).

I also think teams need to consider lots of other factors regarding how and when they construct player contracts. I think whether or not Ray would be motivated with a new contract is a valid question – also what if Brian Robison has the coaches thinking he is the guy, then they are stuck with a big contract for another utility guy – also, what if you are Zygi Wilf and you decide this legislature will never pay for another stadium and you are no longer trying to put personal money into a franchise that is not going to be in your future.

I would like to see all Vikings paid fairly for their services (Packers, less so). I was overjoyed when they decided to pay KU his salary when he was dealing with Lukemia (sp?).

Kleinsasser didn’t feel the need to moap and tear his garments “woe is me my team franchise tagged me!” did he?

Besides Redward’s situation is different. It’s not the Vikings fault they wanted to let him walk but the CBA stalled that. They overestimated the hype from his playoff performance and probably lost out on a 2nd-4th round pick because of it.

To summarize: He will be highly motivated to have a great season, will get his payday. Not his, nor us selfish fans’, nor the Vikings’ fault the CBA is messed up.

• Fran the Man says:

Ok Mark, just call me whiney. . .

And how do you know we DIDN’T try to trade him during the draft?

8. krugjr says:

what I’ve harped about for two years…..and why I picked Gerhart in middle of rd 2 for us (before the draft)…..running game will improve AND less wear & tear on AD…

sorry to get off subject…it’s a habit of mine

GOING, GOING……………………….VIKES!!!

9. Mark S says:

Dan,

Everyone knows he wants the guaranteed money that players get with a new deal.

With the CBA status and 30 % rule the Vikings cannot give him a long term deal but they could give him a 2 year deal like Philly did for Kolb. If they really want him and want to signhim to a longer deal then they would do that. 8 to 10 mil for 2 years with all but 3 guaranteed should keep him happy. Then if he plays great he can get a new deal. If not, adios.

I am upset with the Vikings because Ray has worked his tail off and he fulfilled his original deal. He does not need to do it again to get the two year deal I mentioned above.

We may as well do the same thing with Sidney Rice right? he has had only one year of great production and that is only because of Favre. IF Favre does not come back and his production goes down we could tell him here is 2 or 3 mil and prove it to us again.

I see what time it is with you.

Underpaid is underpaid. There is no way that Kampman and Vanden Bosch deserve more money than Ray and they just got long term deals but they did not have the same restrictions as Ray.

The dude has done what he is suppose to do and never complained. Now he is just average.

Plus they are stock piling DEs like they are going out of style when we really need extra DTs. Anybody who thinks our DTs will hold during the suspensions by using our undersized DEs is folling themselves.

We got too many DEs. And Robison will be a UFA next year too.

I say they should trade Ray for a pick next year or a player (if there is one out there) and go with what we have now.

• starrc10 says:

Whoa, Kampman?

Kampman registered back to back 10+ sack season (2006-15.5 and 2007-12) and was at 9.5 before the Packers made their switch. He is a fantastic DE. He sure as hell did not have the luxurey of playing with Kevin and Pat and Jared and he managed a lot better production than Ray.

Kampman deserves more money.

• Dan K. says:

“I think that Ray deserves more than the 2.5 mil. He is in the top 10 or 15 of DEs in the league.”

I’m sorry I just can’t take you seriously with that statement. Look past your biases for Ray and look at the whole league.

Look at what Ray has done while he’s been trying to prove he’s worth the money – it hasn’t been top 10-15 DE level production.

Ray Edwards situation if fine. He’s available at a price. Possible pawn in a Haynesworth deal. Character issues caused him to fall in the draft and probably behind the decision not to extend.

Noticed the Cowboy had Toby Gerhardt at mid-3rd round value. We’ll see.