Vikings Ink Running Back Ryan Moats

The Vikings have a new running back today, as the teams official site reports they have inked former Eagles and Texans RB Ryan Moats. He was released last week by the Texans, and will add some depth to the Vikings RB spot. Here is a portion of the story from the Vikings official site:

The Vikings have bolstered their RB stable by signing free agent Ryan Moats, a 6th-year player out of Louisiana Tech who was recently released by the Houston Texans. Moats adds a veteran presence to a position group that includes Toby Gerhart, Ian Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Darius Reynaud and Albert Young.

“I watched them last year get so close to achieving the ultimate goal,” Moats said of the Vikings. “I’m honored to be a part of the team. I look forward to being a member of the team and working hard to help us get to the Super Bowl.”

Moats began his career with the Philadelphia Eagles, where he was selected in the 3rd round of the 2005 NFL Draft. Vikings Head Coach Brad Childress was Philadelphia’s offensive coordinator at the time and he saw Moats score 3 rushing TDs during his rookie season, including 2 TDs against the NY Giants on December 11 and another the following week against the Rams. During his rookie season, Moats flashed with long scoring runs of 40 yards against the Giants and 59 yards against the Rams.

13 Responses to “Vikings Ink Running Back Ryan Moats”

The fued between Childo and AD must be worse than we thought. I hope he knows what he’s doing here because it doesnt make sense to me.

• Fragile Freds says:

Johnny, you are a kook! Do you really think they signed this slappy because old slippery hands didn’t come to camp? Slow down on the Colt 45s.

Geesh Freds, I’m not the one who signed this slappy, Childo did. i said it didnt make any sense to me so you are the one that needs to slow down on the 45’s, kook.

2. Viking John says:

I think you are right Johnny. A little internal fued???? More carries for Toby and perhaps Harvin????? I can’t see Moats making the team.
    Go Vikes

3. Think 4 running backs make the roster? We should still at least keep Reynaud for punt returns..

4. Zag says:

That makes six backs, including Ian Johnson. I wonder if Johnson or Albert Young are in hot water here. And what’s gonna happen with Reynaud? I have a feeling that Reynaud will remain a RB, but if he’s on the field he’ll line up at a receiver spot. Perhaps Moats will fulfill Chester’s 3rd down role, with Gerhart and AP splitting more carries than we thought, leaving Young and Johnson on the practice squad… Or maybe Moats won’t even make the team. The possibilites are endless.

5. fozz44 says:

I’m guessing camp didn’t go so well for Reynaud, Young, Johnson or Toby, rather than an issue with AD.

A 45 sounds good though, please pass them around.

Hey Gabbers!

I think you are all kooks.
    But Freds is the top Kook!

Colt 45’s are for girls. Get you some Sam Adams Boston lager.
    Now that is a real beer.

Moats will never make past the 2nd preseason game.

1.AD
    2.Toby
    3.Albert
    4.Reynaud
    Reynaud will see more action than Young cause he doulbes as a PR/WR.

8. G.P. says:

Hey Guys,
    Hey B.J. 84 hope your life is running smoothly. Adrian is working…here’s hoping it pays off.

Hey GP my good man. All is well in my life and hope the same for you. What’s your take on this Moats dude? I’ve never seen him play or any film on him but i agree with CC, he wont make it.

9. G.P. says:

It’s all good in my neck of the woods Johnny my friend. Thanks for asking. By the way where is P.C.?

Moats is what I call a floater. Let me explain I know the kid begin his career with the Eagles in 2005. I respect the organization as they were smart enough to draft Jeff Owens but that’s beside the point. Perhaps Moats never found his stride out in the city of Brotherly Love but in 2007 his time was up. He broke his ankle during the preseason and missed the entire O7 season. Not good. True he had a legitimate reason but the fact of the matter is the Eagles waived him. If he had been a true gem they might have rehabilitated and kept him.

On to the next one. Wait 08 does not get much better for Mr. Moats the Cardinals have him for a bit (practice squad also not good) and well decide they don’t want him either and on to Houston he goes. And finally to the “Land of the Purple and Gold” (thanks for the lyrics Prince.) So, he has floated from team to team waiting to find his game, his spot, his flow. I’m just a little skeptical that he’ll ever find his game and play at his best if he hasn’t done it yet. It does not seem to matter who he plays for, when, where, and under what staff something seems to be missing. Now, Childo may see something in the kid that has yet to be uncovered. I believe in second chances well, in Moats case fourth chances and he may find exactly what he needs in Viking Land. Stranger things have happened and playing for a few different teams isn’t uncommon but this is his 5th year it’s time to show out or go home. I hope the Mall of America is looking for a well qualified security guard because at some point the bucket comes up dry from the pity well. Let’s hope the kid does well for the good of the team I don’t wish bad game Mojo on any Vikings Player so I’ll just say good luck happy hunting, hope you find your footing.

Thanks for the info GP. Looks like a definate Childo reach. As for PC, I dont know. I asked the same question a couple posts down. Maybe Adam could e-mail him.