WEEKEND CONVERSATION: Getting Down To 53 Is Tough

Well, I thought it would make for some fun weekend chatter in these parts if I put together my very, very, very early prediction of how the Vikings 53-man roster is going to shake out.  The only really important thing to point out is that I did not include E.J. Henderson and Cedric Griffin, as neither are a guarantee to be healthy enough to play on opening day, and both could be candidates for the injured reserve.

Enjoy looking at it, and enjoy ripping it apart in the comments section (especially all you Jeff Dugan fans)!

QB

1. Ryan Longwell
  2. Rhys Lloyd

P

1. Chris Kluwe

LS

1. Cullen Loeffler

28 Responses to “WEEKEND CONVERSATION: Getting Down To 53 Is Tough”

1. Coolio says:

Adam why do you think Jamarca won’t start?

That’s a toss up, Cools. I’m not sure who will win that camp battle, as the battle hasn’t even begun yet. Much like at the corner position, I think we could see a good dose of rotation in the safety area.

However, I have my doubts that Chili is willing to concede that he made a mistake with Madieu quite yet.

2. Ole says:

*…must….not….take….the….bait…..*

whew! that was close. How about Drew Radovich over Cook as the back up O-Tackle and (stabbing self) Garrett Miles over Mickey Shuler as a back up TE

the downside to letting Dugan go is that some really good team, like the Raiders, will snap him up. I see Dugan as a future Super Bowl MVP

3. Adam Warwas says:

Sorry, Ole. Dugan doesn’t make my cut. Word out of minicamp is that Shuler was the most impressively surprising rookie of them all (and, yes, even more so than Webb) becuase he caught everything thrown in his direction… and we already know he’s a capable blocker. TE will be an interesting camp battle as well.

Cook’s versatility, experience, and relatively low price tag keeps him on the roster.

Hey Adam, just checked back with that Blue Shades site and still no response. A total bunch of BS for sure.

5. starrC10 says:

I think LeTroy goes and we keep an extra LB or CB. With Robison, they have a backup for both DL positions.

Maybe I think that, I haven’t decided yet.

• starrC10 says:

Or another Wide Out…

It is hard to gauge Letroy because we haven’t seen much of him. My thinking was that the Vikes would keep an extra DT just in case this StarCaps thing rears its ugly head again.

I already list 6 CBs plus Griffin on IR, but could see another LB, D’Imperio, or a safety stick to the squad instead.

6. Brandon says:

I think Moats will make the team. I don’t want to lose Reyanud tho. Hopefully they move him back to WR.

• starrC10 says:

What if HB went this way:

Peterson
      Moats
      Gerhart

I would feel very dissappointed at the lack of new rookie action.

Man, that WR list is hard to argue. It looks great!

That’s interesting Brandon… when I originally heard news of Reynaud being moved to RB I thought they were bluffing to get LT to get LT or another RB in the draft and then would move him back to WR.

He hasn’t been practicing at WR though, which doesn’t bode well for that happening.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Moats make the team.

7. starrC10 says:

In the event of a disastrous season, I nominate the following nicknames for use:

Brett Favre – Barve (Barf when he doesn’t return, or can’t play as well as last season)

Bryant McKinnie – BKinnie (Bikini for being a little girl 2x a year vs Peppers)

8. Viking John says:

Looks about right Adam. A few points I will add. I think that Albert Young makes 3rd RB and Reynaud will take Greg Lewis or J Johnson’s spot as one of them will not make the 53. Reynaud can play RB-WR and yet return punts. Also since I can remember, Chilly likes his Safties. He has always carried 5. So I think that Hussain somehow makes the team. I remember a few years back when they let Greg Blue go. I thought he was a good young raw, not afraid to hit prospect. Instead we kept a couple of other guys in Mike Doss and Tank Williams. What did those two ever do? Nice article, keep up the good work.
    Go Vikes

It would be amazing to see Albert Young be the guy that beats out the competition and secures a roster spot.

I went with 4 safeties and 6 corners (not counting Griffin) with the thinking that Cook is capable of playing safety in a pinch.

9. vikingfan1490 says:

im kinda confused on putting Jamarca Sanford at Free Safety , he looks and plays more like a Strong Safety plus there is no way in heck Madiue is better than Tyrell plus tyrell seemed better at free safety his rookie year ..i say put Jamarca Sanford at strong and tyrell at free and get rid of that crap we call a safety in Madiue williams ….and i have a hard time believing that e.j isnt even on the list no way that tripplet guy should be there plus isnt he gonna be our fullback?…

I have Sanford backing up at FS simply becuase he is listed as one. All positions in the defensive backfield will likely see a lot of rotation.

Triplett is not the FB/LB hybrid, that is D’Imperio. Both of these guys will be bubble players for sure.

I explain why EJ isn’t on the list at the top of the article. Of course if he is ready to go then he is back on the 53 man roster.

• vikingfan1490 says:

o ok i knew it was 1 of those linebackers who r not good…but D’imperio should be able to beat tahi for the job if not this year it should be the next , becuz tahi is garbage..and that is weird that Sanford is put as free safety like i said he plays like a strong

10. WHERE’S EJ HENDERSON!!!???

See the top explanation.

Not really. Adrian takes a spot for sure. Gerhart has a lot invested in him, he makes the team. Harvin will steal some reps. Reyanud’s versatility earns him a spot and he can steal some reps.

With all of that, only an injury should result in Moats getting a spot.

• I see Peterson, Gerhart, Moats, and Reynaud making the roster, and here’s why:

Reynaud could easily be moved back to reciever, and we had 6 recievers last year. Chilly, IMO, didn’t just sign Moats just to let him go. They went after Moats as soon as he was released from the Texans. Plus, I’m not so sure Guion makes the roster, or Scherels like u had said. I think Moats would make the team before Scherels does for sure, and maybe even Guion.

That seems reasonable.

11. Coolio says:

Brandon, this list assumes that E.J. and Griffin will not be able to play when the season begins.

Fred wouldn’t be at all surprised to see an additional corner added before the beginning of the year. The prospect of Marcus Sherels getting any corner time this year is a scary thought. The kid from Rutgers doesn’t make it huh?

I want D’Imperio to make it as a fullback, as he seems like he’d be a solid special teams guy anyways. Depending on how the Vikings are drawing up this year’s playbook (will Gerhart share some FB reps?) then I think they stick with Tahi.