Russell Arrested, Teams Sure To Bow Out

The Jets and the Vikings have a history of competing for the same players.

Remember when Mike Tice called Antoine Winfield’s wife when he learned that Winfield was all but a done deal in New York?  He knew that Winfield’s wife was not thrilled about living in New York and Tice raved about how nice life was in Minnesota.  Tice then called on some of his old gambling buddies to provide the jet and the limo to go pull Antoine out of New York and bring him to Winter Park.

The Jets lost, and the Vikings won.

Then, the following two years, the Jets jumped ahead of the Vikings in the draft to snag two players they thought the Vikings coveted in second round quarterback Kellen Clemens and second round kicker Mike Nugent.

Fast forward a few years and there is always the faux-retirement of Brett Favre that essentially forced the Jets to release him after one season and allow the future hall-of-famer to mosey on over to the Vikings roster (after training camp, of course).

Also, the current offseason featured a Vikings vs. Jets skirmish over running back Ladanian Tomlinson, who ended up choosing New York.

The latest player that linked the two teams was former first round pick Jamarcus Russell.  We discussed last week that we had absolutely no idea why the Vikings would be even remotely interested in the epic bust.

Frankly, I was worried they might just do it.

Those worries have been alleviated, however, as it was learned this weekend that Russell was arrested for “purple drank,” which is basically a misuse of codeine syrup.

Now, I suspect, neither the Jets nor the Vikings will have any interest is Russell’s services.

However, there should still be plenty to talk about when these two teams square off on Monday Night Football, as Favre returns to the house of his previous employer on October 11th.

17 Responses to “Russell Arrested, Teams Sure To Bow Out”

The only team stupid enough to sign him is the Raiders. Oh wait that ship has already sailed. Good luck finding a job dumbass.

• Fragile Freds says:

Johnnys,

you need to join your old pal Freds at his Thursday evening support group. The KAG. You know the Kinder And Gentler support group? It’s really changed Freds life.

You are very angry.

Sure Freds just tell me the time and place. And I like the new Freds but your old pal isnt angry just very miffed on why guys do stuff like this. When God gives you that much talent, why piss it away?

2. CalVkg says:

now is the perfect time to hire him, as a bartender for the next love boat cruise on minnetonka. it just fits…

“Another round of Purple Drank, bartender!”

Poor kid. Had a bad cough (and habit). Tried to address it with a little (too much) medicine, and look what happens to him. I just feel so very, very, very bad for (the mother of)this young man. Had everything going for him (other than the attitude and that weight thing) and this unfortunate event comes his way (and mine). I just hope some team is (desperate enough) willing to let this man prove his worth and reward that team with a Super Bowl ring (that he might be able to steal.)

(Hey, an agent would have to try something, right?)

Funny, my earliest memory of football was that I really liked QB Joe Namath. So I guess I also liked the Jets. Until my brother told me I had to pick a different team, cause the Jets…well, they sucked at that time. So I got the sports page out, took a good look at the teams. And lo and behold there stood the Vikings at 10-0. It was 1975, so they were good. I was pretty young and impressionable, so I had no choice. The purple is in my blood to stay.

• Fragile Freds says:

Oh no! Carters you fool! Now it’s just a matter of time before Buds starts yapping about his recollections of his first game when he and Noah sat around watching their stone tablets.

We know, we know, 90 degrees below zero, 5 feet of snow,
      blah, blah, blah

• Ole says:

Freds
        maybe ccarter’s brother caught him looking at that old photo of Joe Namath wearing nylons and had to set him straight, literally. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Not to worry ccarter, kids are curious creatures by nature

• c.carterhof says:

Joe Namath wore nylons? Thats messed up…some guys are just weird that way I guess. Thatd be like some dude wearin a thong, right Ole?

• Ole says:

that’s right ccarter, only weirdo would wear a Purple Thong

oh wait

Ah, yes, 1975. That was quite a year c.cart. Might have been our best team until the NFL decided that Drew Pearson doesn’t have to follow the rules of football. Have I ever told you guys how much I hate the Cowbuts? Its too bad the weather was as good as it was for that playoff game. It was too nice out and it gave those pretty boys a chance. We needed a little more wind and some moisture that day. And frankly, we needed Nate Wright to be a little tougher and Paul Krause to be a little faster. Thanks for that trip down Viking history lane, boys. You’re welcome, Freds!

• c.carterhof says:

Coach, doesnt matter what Freds thinks. You gotta love those old stories. Last years, behind the woodshed old fashioned butt-whoopin, of those overhyped “Boys”, in the playoffs no less. Kind of helped put that terrible memory away (not completely tho).

I assume an apology is being formulated for this outburst?

Freds’ outburst, I mean. I was offended.

5. Ole says:

I wonder if Viking John somehow got caught up in this hip hop craze of drinking Purple Drank and is now passed out in his pontoon boat floating aimlessly on some unnamed lake?

Oles,

Johns can really hold his drank, Freds doubts he’s passed out. Driving in circles mumbling about AP dropping the ball perhaps? Dude is the master of drank.