TJ Wants Reps!

Apparently TJ doesn’t care if Favre skips camp (a list that now includes JA, AD, Berrian, Rice, Pat, Shank, Erin Henderson, and several others). I would say its probably in TJ’s best interest to get all the reps he can, especially with the newest camp superhero (Joe Webb) tearing up the headlines from OTAs.

From PFT.com:

Vikings quarterback Brett Favre is widely expected to stay home when his teammates report to training camp, giving himself an extra few weeks of relaxation while his teammates are sweating through summer workouts.

Vikings quarterback Tarvaris Jackson says he’s fine with that.

“If he doesn’t show up to Mankato, sign the same time he did last year, that’s fine, that’s more reps for me, Sage [Rosenfels] and Joe [Webb],” Jackson told Chip Scoggins of the Star Tribune. “We just basically try to take advantage of it. When he comes backs, be ready mentally and just know what you’re getting yourself into. It’s going to be a long season.”

Favre hasn’t told Jackson whether he’s returning, but Jackson surmises — just like everyone else does — that Favre will be back before the regular season starts.

“You all watch TV the same way I do,” Jackson said. “He ain’t working out for no reason. I welcome him back. There’s nothing I can do about it so I’m going to welcome him back and hopefully get to the Super Bowl.”

Still, Jackson says he’s doing what backup quarterbacks are always supposed to do: Preparing as if he’s going to start, even though he probably won’t.

“You just say to yourself, ‘OK, he ain’t coming back,'” he said. “You tell yourself in the head, you’re thinking that. You might have your opinion about whether he’s coming back or not, but at the same time when you’re out there playing you’re not thinking. Each rep you get, [you’re not thinking] ‘I don’ t need to get this rep, I don’t need to do my best on this rep because Brett is coming back anyway.’ You don’t want to do that. You just want to go and give your best. When he shows up or if he shows up, just welcome him back. That’s all you can do.”

11 Responses to “TJ Wants Reps!”

Well thats a great attitude Tjack. But its gonna take more than just a good attitude to make me believe you are NFL QB material. You have no choice but to welcome granpa back.

Football time is gettin closer boys! Just 65 more days to go, 65 Gary Zimmerman Days to go to opening kickoff.

2. Vikings UK says:

Glad to see T-Jack keeping his chin up, and staying focussed. I guess he’s also gotta be spurred on by the fact that Favre is no spring chicken, so if he does come back and picks up an injury then Tavaris needs to be ready to don the helmet and lead the team…
    And with Webb grabbing all the headlines at the moment from camp, it’ll hopefully give TJ the competition he needs to finally be the player Chilly thinks he is…

We are now just 64 days away from opening kickoff, 64 Randall McDaniel days.

…and here’s some more numbers for ya, c.c.

30 Bill Brown
    41 Dave Osborne
    85 Sammy White
    70 Jim Marshall
    81 Carl Eller
    44 Chuck Foreman
    50 Jeff Siemon
    53 Mick Tinglehoff
    67 Grady Alderman
    20 Bobby Bryant
    45 Ed Sharockman
    …….. share your favorites, folks!

Mornin’ Freds.

5. G.P. says:

Can I get a Joe followed by a Webb followed by an AMEN! Just kidding I like the kid. And the fellas at VG said G.P. has gone and got another kid to rave and create fan fare for! Here we go. Let’s hope the kid really is a diamond in the rough.

GP, I want to see how Webb does under pressure before I jump on the bandwagon. As far as TJack, he can get all the reps he wants but he’s just not a “quick thinker” which is pretty important for an NFL qb.

• G.P. says:

Waiting to jump on the bandwagon is not a bad thing. Can’t say I blame you always good to see a few results before breaking out the party hats. I like to start throwing the fan fare and confetti from day one something about watching a players career grow and transform from day one is fun for me. Like watching
        your kids go from preschool to highschool to perhaps college. We all
        hope that our favorites do well but even if they just get through the fifth grade they are still yours and you have to keep rooting and hoping that one day they’ll reach their full potential and that one day the rest of the world will
        see what you saw all along.

6. G.P. says:

Sappy sentiment brought to in part by football fanatic turned sudden sap G.P.

7. […] Mike Haldorson of Vikings Gab notes, Tarvaris is part of a growing list of Vikings players that expect Favre back but don’t seem […]