Drama Filled Camps

I’m having trouble remembering a year in which private football camps/work outs resulted in so much gossip and drama for the Vikings.  Of course, in previous years there weren’t such odd sounding words like Twitter and Shiancoe involved.

Visanthe Shiancoe has been quite active this offseason.  His Twitter feud with Darren Sharper was capped by an arguably distasteful picture of him shooting Osama Bin Laden’s photo that was re-labeled with Sharper’s name.

Now, Shiancoe has been working out with free agent running back Brian Westbrook and Cardinals defensive lineman Darnell Dockett.

Shiancoe created some excitement amongst the purple faithful by making a public pitch for the Vikings to bring in Westbrook, adding him to an already over-crowded backfield.

“We work out five days a week, and I know he [definitely] has it in him,” Shiancoe said. “He’s indicated to me this is the first time he’s been able to workout at 100 percent without having to worry about previous injuries. He’s working hard, and it looks like he’s in camp shape. His route running would [definitely] help our offense.”

Despite Shiancoe’s assertion, I find it highly unlikely that the Vikings pursue Westbrook barring an injury to one of their current backs.

As our own Matt Loede pointed out, Shiancoe recently also stated that it is unfair for people to criticize Brett Favre for his waffling ways (who on Earth would dream of doing that?!?).

I found the story ironic, considering what his workout buddy Darnell Dockett had to say about the matter when asked how he would react if Kurt Warner made a last minute comeback.

“No, I don’t think Kurt Warner searches for attention like Brett Favre,” said Dockett.  “I think Kurt will tell us ahead of time if he is going to play with us and not pull a circus act and tell us two weeks before the season.  I think Kurt gives us more respect than that.”

So, while Dockett clearly disagrees (publically anyways) with Shiancoe about Favre’s level of respect for his teammates, a camp taking part in Minnesota produced a quote from Dockett’s teammate Larry Fitzgerald that some might view as more complimentary to Favre… but perhaps a slam to the other 52 guys that make the Vikings roster.

“Honestly, if he didn’t come back I wouldn’t mind,” Fitzgerald said.  “You look at the NFC right now, you think of the Cowboys, you think of the Green Bay Packers, you think of the Minnesota Vikings. Those are the three juggernauts in our conference and if Brett wasn’t back I don’t know.”

Of course, suggesting that the Vikings are not an elite team without Favre is not nearly as insulting as forgetting to mention the Super Bowl Champion Saints in the conversation of who sits atop the NFC.

Fitzgerald is busy hosting his camp that made headlines earlier last week when Sidney Rice failed to show up due to a reported hip injury.  Vikings safeties Tyrell Johnson and Madieu Williams, in addition to quarterback Tarvaris Jackson, are reported to have been participating in the camp.

The he-said-she-said stuff coming out of these camps and workouts is hard to keep up with… but it sure is fun to try.

22 Responses to “Drama Filled Camps”

Im tired of all the gossip Adam, just ready for football.
    Speaking of football, we have another 60 days to go to opening kickoff.

60 Roy Winston days that is!

CC, you are not going to disappoint us when the number gets to 27, are you?

• c.carterhof says:

Anthony Parker 1992-94

Corey Fuller 1995-98

Kevin Devine 1999

Keith Thibodeaux 1999-01

Brian Russell 2002-04

Fred Smoot 2005

I’m ready for football as well, CC, for sure.

Twice as ready after watching 10 minutes of OCHOCINCO: Ultimate Catch. If I here one more bimbo refer to Berrian as “B-Twice” I’m probably going to lose what was a perfectly good dinner.

The show is twice as stupid as it sounded.

• c.carterhof says:

While I do find 85 to be funny, Ill try to stay away from that show. Thanks for the warning.
        Besides, my Reds are in 1st! At the break! Its been like 15 years since theyve made the playoffs.
        But still cant wait for football.

Really tired of Shanks big fat mouth. Let us not forget this idiot was the one sticking up for TJax over Banjo, Ray Ray and this putz are the two idiots who should worry more about their play and less about their image.

3. Fran the Man says:

Freds, I remember Ray-Ray being vocal about wanting TJ over Favre but can’t recall shanko saying anything at the time. Is it true?
    (Say it ain’t so Freds!!)

• c.carterhof says:

Hey Fran, I think Freds made that up…just to start a schism.
      Shank is the guy who started the Favreapalooza.

Good day to all.
    We are down to 59 days. 59 Matt Blair days to opening kickoff.

While the most logical choice based on performance in a Viking uniform at #27 would be Bob Grim, I do believe cart will need to give strong consideration to the contributions of one Fred Smoots here on the Gab as he selects his player on day 27. Then, of course, one may need to consider off-the-field conduct… (which Freds seems to have upgraded in recent days). Good luck with your conscience, loyalty and all that other stuff, cart.

And a good day to you, cart. Don’t let me down at 58, 55, 53 and 50. Some very, very good football players donned those digits!

Your old pal Fragile has great confidence that Carters will do the right thing on day 27.

Has anyone seen the following individuals?

1 – Purple Charles
    2 – Krugs
    3 – Tombs

I suspect Mrs Charles locked purple Charles off the computer until training camp. Mrs Charles is the computer brains in that operation.

Krugs? Fred thinks he might still be in the fetal position from last years NFC fumble fest. Time to rebound Krugs, get back in the game boy!

Freds’ favorite liberal, tree hugging, tax and spend Viking pal Tombs is probably just finishing up the President Barry month long summer camp and hopefully will be back with us very soon. By the way, the camp was free to all participants this year (well, free like in funded by new tax on rich people who make more than $40,00 per year).

If that doesn’t get Freds pal out of hiding, nothing will!

I assume there are apologies forthcoming on this one, Freds?

• Fragile Freds says:

Buds,

Please don’t ruin Fred’s vision of his pal Tombs sitting around the camp “tax and spend” bon fire wearing short shorts, a beanie, a back pack and a bright white tee shirt which supports an iron on deacal with the words “CHANGE” on the front and a picture of Nancy Pelosi on the back.

Freds, as someone who has worn a beanie each and every day for the last 7 years… I await your apology 🙂

I have been wondering the same thing Freds. Krug did tell us not too long ago he wouldnt be around much for a while. His boss took away internet access at work.
      Tomb has taken vacations before but I figured once coach got back in the game Tomb would follow but your comment should draw a response.
      Charlie is the one I’m most worried about, not like him to take such a long furlough. Hope he checks in soon.

Perhaps this will help gentlemen…

Tombs gets so engrossed in the baseball season that he doesn’t have time for our Viking discussions. I believe he is in two MLB fantasy leagues, and regularly posts on several Twins sites. He will most likely be down the coast at the All-Star game courtesy of a $600 scalped ticket.

9. Viking John says:

Freds can have 2 days.
    Jersey 27- I have one
    Jersey 21-I have one of these also.
    Go Vikes

10. Ole says:

Krugger is fine, we call each other once in awhile. He will be back around training camp

Ole,

Well that’s good to hear Krugs is well.

For those that don’t know. This really is Krugs at work.