Favre & Lewis Take Home An ESPY

Brett Favre did not win two ESPY’s which he was nominated for:  Best NFL Player and Best Record Breaking Performance.

He did, however, take home the ESPY for best play of the year, which was the ever-memorable touchdown pass to Greg Lewis to beat San Francisco with two seconds left on the clock.  Lewis was also on hand to accept the award.

“A lot of debate about better pass, better catch. That was one heck of a catch, one heck of a catch,” Favre said. “Two plays prior to that is when he came into the game. It was just an awesome catch, awesome play. … That was just a little blip on the radar of what type of season we had. We had a great season and a lot of fun at 40 years old. I still felt like I could do it. You guys made me believe it. It was just a magical year. Thank you.”

Favre also was the presenter of the Arthur Ashe Courage Award which went to the family of Ed Thomas, the Iowa high school coach that was killed by a player.  The video and presentation was touching and the family was visibly honored to be receiving the award from Favre.

“I still have a little bit of time and still believe it or not [I’m] not completely healthy,” said Favre afterwards.  “I guess at 40 I may never be. I’m not getting any younger but I am working hard trying to feel as best I can. Last year I felt great. My arm was totally different than it was the year before and that made my decision a little bit easier. But we’ll see.”

“It starts with the ankle. This coming Friday will be eight weeks [since the surgery] and I had hoped it would be a little bit better. I can walk fine but you don’t walk in football. Then it kind of works from there up. If you wake up in the morning and your feet hurt it kind of makes the rest of your body hurt and if you’ve been sacked 700 times that usually adds to it. It’s a great football team — I know that now, I knew it last year — who would love to have me come play. I would love to play and be the best I could possibly be and that’s really what I’m working towards right now.”

13 Responses to “Favre & Lewis Take Home An ESPY”

That was a great play. Favre sounds like hes gonna play, I guess its just not in him to say it. Anyways, today is 56 days to the start of a new season, thats right Ladies and gents. Just 56 Chris Doleman days to go!

I really think that play was a catalyst to the rest of the season, made everyone, including the players, believe just a little bit more. And you gotta be happy for Lewis – great story there. (Oh wait, I thought that was LEO Lewis. Well, still a good story.)

Good call on Doleman, cart. For whatever reason, I always felt Doleman could have been even better. He especially frustrated me vs. the run, but gotta admit he was a very good DE.

3. Ole says:

*40 Years ago in Vikings History*

Fred Cox DDS, did a root canal procedure and then capped off his morning by performing a gingivectomy. Dr. Cox took the afternoon off and went for golfing and dinner at the Ham Lake Country Club & Road Kill Cafe

4. MNTicketKingIntern says:

awesome play. that play jump started the rest of the season i feel like. PA’s call, “Greg Lewis, welcome to Minnesota!” definitely the best play in the NFL last year

if your interested in another vikings chat site, check it out at http://vikingsfootballhome.blogspot.com/

5. fozz44 says:

Didn’t see the show, but am glad Favre gave the presentation to Ed Thomas’ family….Ed would be proud to have it presented by a footballer like Brett.

Fozz, I saw the show and coach Thomas’s family were pretty humbled by Bretts presentation as was I. The tornado wiping out most of Parkersburg was bad enough then to lose their hero coach Thomas is heartbreaking. You can replace buildings and houses but not a man like Ed Thomas.

Goodness gracious!

Thank you Lord, for making me a man.

7. Go go Vikings and congratulations for a Hall Famer Randle. I will surely be the first one to have the Season tickets package at http://www.vikingtickets.org.

Good morning to all!
    Its Friday, its also only 55 days until opening kickoff. 55 days away from getting revenge on them Aints.
    Thats 55 Scott Studwell days.

Yes, yes, Mr. Studwell. Running backs kept one eye out for him, that’s for sure. He was one of the very few bright spots in the Les Steckel year. The man also knew the value of a good crew cut, making him one of my favorites.

Cart, I assume that 53 and 50 are locks, but curious to see your choices at 54, 52, and 51. We can help if you need it, and perhaps contribute to Ole’s recovery at the same time.