Cry Me A Mississippi River, Brett

In the video placed in the post below this one, Brett Favre went on a tangent that resulted in the following quote:

“I know there are a lot of people out there that like me, I can’t do anything wrong. And then there’s a fair amount that don’t know me but think they do and say negative things. Don’t get me wrong. When you hear those things, I’m not immune to any of that stuff. That’s painful. I have two girls and I think they know their daddy pretty well. I want them to think the world of me and not hear all these things that are negative and untrue more than anything.”

I call “B.S.” on the whole “poor me” act that Favre is trying to pull off here.

As one of those people that doesn’t know Favre and does say negative things about him, I would love for him to give me a day of his time to try and sway my opinion.

Of course that isn’t a possibility, however, as I am not one of Favre’s pre-approved “friends” that get to have an exclusive interview.

Even in the video he tells that person interviewing him “you know Bus, you know me.”  The person interviewing him says “absolutely!” with such awe and enthusiasm I can just picture the guy behind the camera getting out the Sharpie with high hopes that Favre might just be willing to autograph his forehead.

Then, in the quote above, Favre is obviously disappointed that the reporter, Stephen Rodrick, from Men’s Journal, you know, reported the words that were said on that day.  How dare he!?!  This was supposed to be just a fun-lovin’, wrangler wearin’ day and you were supposed to ignore anything that might make me look like a drama queen… like Bus calling me a drama queen.  Gag.

Great.  Thanks to Men’s Journal doing their job correctly, the only quotes we’ll get from Brett will be from somebody on his payroll and/or from semi-scripted exclusives conducted by Favre-Family-friends like Greta Van Susteren.

And that’s my point of this childish little rant of mine.  If Favre ever actually allowed himself into a position to face the tough questions from somebody that isn’t afraid to hurt his feelings then maybe we could all make our own opinions of him based on the real him.

Instead, we are left with this canned, pre-planned nonsense that leaves fans to either think he can do no wrong or think he is full of it.

I know I could come up with a list of questions to ask Brett.  I also know I’ll never get to ask them because he wouldn’t grant me the interview… because he wouldn’t be able to come up with good answers to the tough questions.

And I know I wouldn’t get a second interview because of my unwillingness to stick to the script.  Just ask Stephen Rodrick of Men’s Journal.

Favre can’t just blame football fans for not “knowing him” if he’s never going to let himself be seen or heard in anything other than a controlled environment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

32 Responses to “Cry Me A Mississippi River, Brett”

1. Ole says:

good article Adam, way to sic ’em Killer

question #1 for favre –
    What was the impetus behind the “brett favre Forward” charity?

double bonus points to anyone with the complete answer

No points for me, I don’t know that one.

“Since you were so humble in recently crediting Sidney Rice with half the blame for the season ending interception against New Orleans, do you think it is smart to miss training camp instead of working on timing with your receivers to do everything in your power to make sure Rice doesn’t half screw it up again?”

I agree with you guys on Favre as far as the off-season/pre-season antics of retirement, late-to-camp, etc. This becomes a circus that has an impact on the team that cannot be measured, by anyone really.

Having said that, at least Favre does not embarass us with the Terrell Owens-type chest beating, taunting and mouth-flapping (stuff) that REALLY is what turns me psycho. I have to say that Favre represents the team well during the season on and off the field. I think he gets along with the team OK because he is a pro when it comes to season conduct.

I’m not sayin’ it makes this other stuff OK, because it doesn’t. I think he would do himself, the team, and his daughters if that is a concern, a real big favor by becoming one of the guys in April-July instead of September.

That would be a great interview, Adam and Favre. Tired of the drama, cant wait for sept. 9th.
    So, you would go with Hackbart, Coach?

Thats where I would lean, cart. But its a close call. Thinking of being a “Viking”, Hack has it all over Eddie, who was mostly a pretty boy (not that there’s anything wrong with that!) They’re opposites, really, as Ed never saw a tackle or block that he wouldn’t gladly avoid, while Hacker went lookin’ for them.

On the other hand, bjohnny still has Ed’s card, and that is nothing to sneeze at either. Wouldn’t want to piss johnny off, Freds says he can get pretty wild.

Coach, Hackbart is fine with me. He was a little before my time and your description of him convinces me Hack is the best choice.

CC, I think I would most like to interview McKinnie. I wonder if he’d bring Kleinsasser along to help him out on 80% of the questions??

4. Barry says:

Last time I checked the NFL and the Vikings are hear to entertain us. That is it. People need to remember that. Favre is an entertainer with crazy ability. He proved it last year by leading this team deep into the playoffs and one play away from a superbowl. The timing of his throw that led to that int had nothing to do with missing a few practices in training camp. Lose the “poor me I can’t get an interview” attitude and be happy that favre is giving you a story to write about that people will actually read.

Regardless of the NFL being entertainment, there are still people that don’t make $13 million a year that pay good money to the NFL for tickets, concessions, Sunday ticket, jerseys and endless other stuff. They are each entitled to an opinion.

Even in the entertainment industry people have to show up to practice. They can’t just show up on opening night and expect to have the lead role in a run of plays. They can’t just show up to the first concert and expect to be the lead singer on a tour. Favre is the only one this exception applies to.

I don’t mean to portray a “poor me” attitude for not having Favre on speed dial, and I don’t think articles about him are the only thing people read on this site. If that were the case, I promise that I wouldn’t be doing this. Or I’d just go into hiding until Week One.

Thanks for stopping by, Barry. I appreciate your opinion and hope you keep them coming.

Like Barry, Freds has said for a long time that the NFL is simple entertainment, that’s all it really is. Some people take it WAY too serious letting the “show” which is the Viking’s wins or losses impact the way they treat their families on Sunday as well as other parts of their lives. For Freds, that is way overboard. But Barry, keep in mind that part of the NFL entertainment includes the “hacks” like Warwas writing about the NFL on sites like this. Freds comes here to be entertained. Freds wants the heavy leaning Viking opinion. Fred enjoys when AK leans one way and doesn’t always have to balance it off to cover his butt like the national hacks.

Enough of that. AK, just keep it coming.

6. TheJazzyOne says:

Personally I just want two things from our players….

1). Don’t act like complete idiots off the field to the point of embarrassing the team (i.e. The Love Boat)

2). Play well on the field.

Although Brett gets a lot of attention off the field, it’s not because he’s doing stupid things, like harassing women at bars, shooting himself in the leg, picking fights with teammates, or having dog fighting organizations on the side. The attention he gets might get tiresome, but let’s face it… there’s not much else to talk about until the end of this week anyway. He’s not doing anything stupid, and he’s not embarrassing the team.

As for the second thing, Favre played at 40 years old last year and was one of the top 3 quarterbacks in the league. His TDs were high, his interceptions were low, and he passed for over 3,000 yards.

We may not agree on this point, but if Favre isn’t going to do anything dumb and he’s going to play well for my team, he doesn’t owe me any answers to any questions that I might have.

One of the first questions I’d have for him is if he gives a hoot about the long term success of his current team and his current teammates.

Look at how quickly Harvin progressed under Favre. Imagine if Favre were in camp to teach Sidney and Percy even more, or the younger guys like Ray Small or Mickey Schuler or Joe Webb… even Toby Gerhart.

I’m not questioning whether Favre can play come opening week (however, we can’t afford to get another slow start to the season) but am questioning how much better this team could be as a whole if he were there.

31 other teams will probably have their starting QB in training camp on day one (probably even the Rams) and even if that is a tiny, minuscule advantage over the Vikings… it is an advantage none-the-less.

And after a season in which the Super Bowl was missed by minuscule margin, a minuscule disadvantage should be a concern.

And, yes, I’d be saying the same think about Adrian, Sidney, Greenway or anyone else that misses training camp.

You’re right on here, Adam. And if all Favre needs to do is show up because of his abiity, then we will have a whole timetable of “when people need to come to camp.” Football is a team game. We improve as a team, and the reason we all come to camp on the same day is to improve as a team. Sorry, Barry and Jazzy, it simply is not right for one player to be allowed to call his own shots. That being said, it will happen if it is allowed to happen, so it is what it is. But I have no problem saying and defending this statement: “The Vikings would be a better team in 2010 if Favre reported to camp the same day as everyone else instead of strolling in when he wants.”

7. Adam Warwas says:

Where is Fran the Man at these days? I know the Favre news is probably not up his alley, but I miss Fran being around. Hope he is doing well.

Fran was on here just the other day, I think.
    But, yeah Johnny, Charlie has not been here for a few weeks. Charlie! You need to check in, soon.

Just another 49 days Gents & ABV, Viking Vixen and Mrs. Starrs. And Coach has convinced me, that it is 49 Dale Hackbart days! Yes, if Hack was a hitter, and loved contact. He is my kinda player.

9. Another Blonde Viking says:

I truly understand the Team Thing, Coach…and would like BF to be at Training Camp to work with the receivers/QB’s as well, but if the Old Man has one more season in him and can get us to the Big Dance this year, I’m not sure anyone will care when he joined the team.

Looking 49 Days Forward, CC!

Go Vikes!

Yeah, Blondie, I know that this is the way it is in this situation. Even so, I can’t help but think it has some impact on the team, and keeps us from being as good as we could be. But I certainly agree that we are better with Favre than without him at all. Just stinks, and does have some less than desirable effects, that’s all I’m saying.

Good morning gabbers.
    Now we’re looking 48 days forward ABV.
    That makes it 48 Najee Mustafaa days!

Boy, we are still waiting for a legend at 48, huh cart? BTW, if I am going to pinch hit for you next week (that’s a baseball term, Freds), I will need your link to the history of Viking numbers. There will be a few tough ones in there. Don’t wanna be AP and “drop the ball” on ya!

Coach I dont remember this Mustafaa guy. I thought Sammy Johnson would be a good choice. He was a real horse if I remember correctly.

• c.carterhof says:

Cmon Johnny, Mustafaa was the guy who picked Montana in the playoffs. And took it to the HOUSE! Back in 87′.
        He played 5 years as a Vike. Started like 50 games, had 10 ints, and 2 or 3 TDS.
        S.Johnson was a backup all the way, he was a horse, just seldom used. He had like 350 yds in the 3 years he played for us. Never started.

• c.carterhof says:

Here it is Coach-
        It only goes up to 2007.
        I have full confidence in you Coach.

Sorry for my memory loss CC. I was in college about that time, do I need to say anymore?

Know what you mean, johnny. The terms “college” and “memory loss” are synonymous all the way back to the ’70s. (I think, I’m not sure, though. That Watergate thing sure turned out to be something, huh!) Mustafaa is the right choice, but not of the caliber of others who get recognized. Still, a Viking to be remembered… (unless you were in college.)

Thanks cart, that should get me by. I wont let you down! Be sure to remind me as the time gets closer.

I knew you would understand coach.

12. CalVkg says:

stars are guarded because the media sucks. writers, paparazzi, interviewers, TMZ, whatever, they’re all greedy attention whores looking to goose their egos and monetize the fame of others for themselves. of course, the same can be said of the stars, they’re trying to protect their image, their egos, and their own exploitation of their talents

and ya know what? we all sorta do the same thing on a much smaller scale

That was a beautiful rant, Cal. Well done!

• CalVkg says:

comin’ from you, coach, that means sumpthin’

thankz

Cal, I must concur with coach, hats off to above rant.

• CalVkg says:

thankz, big johnny. you guyz are gonna make me blush here

damn, in a week we begin the journey. just hope we stay healthy so we can win this thing. i really feel like we should’ve won it last season. we were better than all of ’em. every last one. the players know it. this is our year