A Few Things And A Depth Chart

First off, it should be noted that it appears that at least a portion of Percy Harvin’s recent absence from training camp can be chalked up to migraines.  More on that later.

Vikings long snapper Cullen Loeffler just had to take off a day of training camp to greatly increase his job security.  With that being said, Brad Childress says Jared Allen is his “ace in the hole” when it comes to depth at the underrated position.

Now, with that stuff out of the way, here is the first draft of the official Vikings depth chart:

OFFENSE

Wide receiver: Bernard Berrian, Greg Lewis, Marquis Hamilton, Logan Payne/Marko Mitchell, Freddie Brown

Left tackle: Bryant McKinnie, Pat Brown, Chris Clark

Left guard: Steve Hutchinson, Chris DeGeare, Adrian Battles

Center: John Sullivan, Jon Cooper

Right guard: Anthony Herrera, Ryan Cook, Thomas Austin

Right tackle: Phil Loadholt, Drew Radovich, Bill Noethlich

Tight end: Visanthe Shiancoe, Jim Kleinsasser, Jeff Dugan, Garrett Mills/Mickey Shuler

Wide receiver: Percy Harvin, Jaymar Johnson, Taye Biddle, Ray Small

Quarterback: Tarvaris Jackson, Sage Rosenfels, Joe Webb, Brett Favre (did not report to camp list)

Fullback: Naufahu Tahi, Ryan D’Imperio

Running back: Adrian Peterson, Albert Young, Toby Gerhart/Darius Reynaud, Ian Johnson/Ryan Moats

DEFENSE

Kicker: Ryan Longwell, Rhys Lloyd

Long snapper: Cullen Loeffler, Jared Allen

Kickoffs: Ryan Longwell, Rhys Lloyd

Holder: Chris Kluwe

Kick returner: Percy Harvin, Darius Reynaud, Jaymar Johnson

Punt returner: Darius Reynaud, Jaymar Johnson, Percy Harvin, Bernard Berrian

32 Responses to “A Few Things And A Depth Chart”

So people, knowing what we know about Percy now. Why is there no outcry by the masses for the drafting of a part time football player? Wasn’t this a blown draft selection? Percy has proven to be unreliable at best, yet no bashing of the Vikes for the draft pick? The Vikes knew of the headaches, but chose to proceed anyway.

I like Harvin but never backed down from my stance that Oher should have been the choice. However, I think the Harvin pick was specifically engineered to be part of the wooing of Favre.

That being siad, he was RoY despite the migraines… can’t knock that pick too much. Longevity is another issue that has yet to be determined with Harvin…

• Tomb... says:

Longevity is an issue to be determined with EVERY draft pick Adam.

Signed,
        Captain Obvious

ha, that is true. I just mean that Harvin strikes me as a 4 to 6 years in the NFL type of player. Oher, on the other hand, has the potential to be an 8 to 12 year player.

But that can be said in comparing most WRs to O-Lineman, of course.

2. VikingDude says:

Just making the news about his migraines does not make him a bad draft pick. He has missed some time because of them but nothing to be concerned about yet.

Harvin is defeinetly not a bad pick. Obviously he is an incredible talent, but I also agree with Freds that being able to rely on a player is a big deal. I don’t like McKinnie and that has a lot to do with him being unreliable because he has missed time due to stupidity.

But McKinnie’s woes are fixable (or at least, one would hope) whereas Harvin’s don’t seem to have a cure. Missing this portion of camp (package installs) doesn’t bode well for plays designed specifically to get the ball to Harvin.

If we can ever get Peterson, Harvin, Rice, Favre, and Shiancoe all on the practice field at once… then many of these discussions go out the window.

3. Tomb... says:

Calling the OROY a bust is silly at best, my ol pal Freds…how spoiled have we gotten? I’m happy with the pick, migraines & all…I hope something can eventually be done with his issues, because the kid is electric & a very special talent on the field.

• Fragile Freds says:

Good to see you back around here Tombs. Fred hopes you are well.

No doubt about his talent, outstanding really. Hard to argue he is unreliable.

Feel bad for the kid though, having had a number of migranes, they are nothing to mess with.

How would the group react if Brian McKinney had the same problem?

4. Fran the Man says:

I notice you don’t have Rice listed at WR.
    Are you thinking his “Injury” may prolong thru the whole season??

Cheech was a risk vs. reward pick. So far Cheech= reward.

Freds just asked, he didn’t say it was a bust.

But the idea that he has missed time and nothing to be concerned about is wacky! Dude missed time last year too, no? If the team can’t rely on him to be in practice, you can’t install a package for him during the week assuming he will play on Sunday. That doesn’t bother you Vdudes? It was a problem last year and promises to be so this year too. Doesn’t make him a bad guy, but the company asset is certainly not as valuable as it would be if he was more reliable. That is an area for concern.

Bjohnning were you saying the same thing about Blind Troy Williamson? Or is it only Risk vs Reward when it works out?

Freds I hated the Williamson pick, I thought Al Davis was the only one stupid enough to use that high of a pick on him. I think we can call that one a bust, right?

8. Adam Warwas says:

How long until one of you asks me to weigh in on whether or not the Vikings should try and swing a trade for Revis? 3…2…1…

Childo was very clear about saying last year they didn’t realize the migrane issue was this serious when they drafted him. Bad scouting, even if it works out when he does play. At least call it what it is.

• Tomb... says:

Agreed, it wasn’t thorough scouting…but sans his issues, he wouldn’t have fallen into our laps. For all we know, Oher may go down with a career ending injury this year, then HE is the bust…

Dunno…I see what you’re saying, but all things considered, I’m happy with the risk/reward so far…if he misses 2 or 3 games a year, I think his talent makes up for it.

Hell, his play/not play ratio is better than ol’ glass jaw Rice’s so far.

• starrc10 says:

What constitutes a career ending injury these days?

Concussions
        Spine and Neck Injuries
        Falling out of a moving pickup truck
        Leukemia

That’s all I have.

Tomb, my thanks to you and Freds for providing further proof to my statement that the two of you make no sense. Thanks to you two, now I have a migrane headache.

Love,
        Bud

10. starrc10 says:

Where is GP????

Asher Allen is Sitting atop the Right Corner Spot, take that Lito.

I was wondering that too Starr. Last I heard he was going to training camp and he was gonna keep us informed on his take on things. Hope he didnt get too wild and ended up in the Mankato jail.

I count somewhere around 23 that probably wont make the roster. The last 7 is kinda tough to call. Adam what’s your final roster look like?

Not much has changed for me since my last projections really. I’m thinking that Reynaud, Ryan Cook, Shuler, Jaymar, and Webb are a little closer to the bubble than i originally thought.

Payne, Guion, Abdullah, and Young have a shot to make it and i think I previously left them off.

I’ll have to revisit that pretty soon. Maybe after the game. Speaking of, I’m bummed that I won’t be able to see the game live. i might have to do a live chat just so you guys can keep me updated 🙂

I’ve got Reynaud returning punts and being able to fill in at wr or rb. Cook can backup multiple positions so he makes it.(Hope false-start Cook doesnt) They keep Webb also.(Childo wont admit to a mistake) Young and Guion make it. Dont know what to think about Payne and of course Abdullah and Ramadan or whatever they call it.

12. fozz44 says:

I like Jaymar Johnson in the mix. If Rice and Harvin aren’t back 100%…..I think he’ll break out in a big way. He’s a Rice-type receiver that Favre will love throwing to.

13. fozz44 says:

ohhh boy. Don’t kid yourself Johnny….you were a QB all the way.