Weekend Discussion: Roll Call

First, I want to say that there will be no live chat for Saturday’s game.  The decision wasn’t easy, but it is a preseason game, after all, and there are only so many days to go fishing before the regular season takes priority over everything short of the birth of my child.

Okay, now onto this weekends discussion.

The Vikings have a number of glaring absences as they wrap up camp.  Most recently, the team has decided to send Percy Harvin the much discussed “five day letter” which means they will get a roster exemption and have the ability to pick up another player.  The fact that they have gone this route has caused some speculation that Harvin’s setbacks (migraines or otherwise) could take longer to remedy than we had hoped.

Then there is Sidney Rice with his lingering hip issues and mysterious contract needs.

And, of course, there is the indecision that is Brett Favre.

So, my question to you all, is with everything we do know and everything we don’t know, which absence concerns you most at this point?

Have a great weekend everyone!

19 Responses to “Weekend Discussion: Roll Call”

1. CalVkg says:

easy, favre. we can’t replace him with anybody remotely close, and now i’m not so sure that he’ll come back. i still lean towards him returning, but i’m just not as confident as i was that he’ll return. the other guys we could work around and still have a great team, but not favre

Gotta agree Cal, qb is the most important position. Reynaud could fill in for Cheech and a healthy Berrian can be #1 receiver.

2. Adam Warwas says:

My vote actually doesn’t go to Favre because I am that confident that he returns. If i was less confident, then that would probably be my vote.

Rice also doesn’t get my vote because I think he’ll be more than ready to go by the start of the season.

Harvin is the guy that concerns me most because his absence is negative to two phases of the game: offense AND special teams. And, his absence is harder to plan for becuase apparently these migraines can rear up at any time without warning.

Tough call, but at the moment my vote is Harvin.

3. Fran the Man says:

Every year since Childo’s hiring, it’s been the same glaring need; Quarterback (Except 2009).
    So Favre gets my vote.

Harvin would be a huge loss but he doesn’t handle the ball every offensive down and we have other WR’s and Special teamers that can fill in.
    We don’t have that luxury at QB.

4. Vikadan11 says:

Favre not returning has to be #1 on my list ~

5. Fran the Man says:

And by the way Adam, YOU have a good weekend too.
    Go fishing ( I hear Valdez gets a few Silvers in this time of year) cuz when that new baby comes on board, you’re going to have your hands full!

6. CSlinde says:

All of them Adam. With all these ?s is Favrerella gonna risk a season on a questionable wheel? This shows the true colors of the squad and Chillys control and power over his players. Unless this is all preseason drama/over reaction by the media.

7. purplereign#57 says:

I’ll have to go with the majority here, Adam, and say that Favre is the most important question mark. Even though the training camp updates have me nearly convinced that T-Jack is ready to go (lots of good things have been said about how he’s looked there, I still think not having Favre under center is gonna make the biggest impact on the team. I feel that the teams’ confidence level may drop a little too much without #4 there to take the snaps. Mind you, from what I’ve read in the last couple weeks, I’d still be seriously considering using T-Jack for some of those reps. It seems as though the grasshopper has learned well from the master, from what I’ve been reading lately.

8. purplereign#57 says:

I’ll have to go with the majority here, Adam, and say that Favre is the most important question mark. Even though the training camp updates have me nearly convinced that T-Jack is ready to go (lots of good things have been said about how he’s looked there), I still think not having Favre under center is gonna make the biggest impact on the team. I feel that the teams’ confidence level may drop a little too much without #4 there to take the snaps. Mind you, from what I’ve read in the last couple weeks, I’d still be seriously considering using T-Jack for some of those reps. It seems as though the grasshopper has learned well from the master, from what I’ve been reading lately.

Yeah, gotta be Favre. Dont buy into the Jackson hype reigns, we’ve heard it before.

26 days ladies and gents, 26 days to the “romp in the swamp”. Thats 26 Robert Smith days!

Adam, Same as most of the guys said Favre, But as you said, I feel he will be back too …

Harvin is next on the list, Because of his versatility to the team, and as you quoted,his migranes…

Hey Charlie. You gonna be able to watch the game tonight?

• Purple Charlie says:

Johnny,
        I can’t get the game, It’s on at 1:00 am Monday on Nfl Network so I’ll record it and watch it later that day…

Johnny, You get the game right???

No I dont get the game at home but I’m going to town and see if its on there. If not I’ll try the link that Tomb left a post or two down.

11. fozz44 says:

Harvin.

This is wayyyyy out of hand, I’m wondering if the kid’s head is even into football anymore.

I think we’ll see AD a LOT more this year with Sid and Percy not being ready. And I will stick w/ my prediction….if these guys aren’t ready, JJohnson breaks out this year.

12. Another Blonde Viking says:

Gotta go with the majority also and say the guy from Mississippi. The kicker is, he’s cried “wolf” so much, I think the team is preparing for him to be back and isn’t really preparing for TJack and Sage to be the guys.

If the ankle isn’t ready or didn’t heal properly, and Favre comes back anyway and stinks up the place, I worry that would shake everyone’s confidence and the team goes nowhere fast. But hey, I’m a woman, and we worry!

If he returns, I don’t think we’ll have the fantasy year we had last year–but with him on the field you always have a shot.

It will be interesting to see how TJ and Sage handle tonight, but I’m more curious to watch the newbie QB.

Go VIKES!!

13. CSlinde says:

It’s convoluted. Favrella is the fulcrum. If he comes back its Rice then Harvin. If not, Harvin then Rice.