Reaction To Sapp Trade

The Vikings have reportedly traded cornerback Benny Sapp to the Miami Dolphins in exchange for veteran receiver Greg Camarillo.

This trade comes in the wake of Sidney Rice’s hip surgery that will surely keep him out of action for at least eight weeks.  So let us break down what has happened here.

Let’s start with the loss of Benny Sapp.  Sapp played 30 games over the last two years spent with the Vikings, starting 11 of them.  Over that course of time, Sapp registered 59 tackles, no sacks, two interceptions, two forced fumbles, and eight defended passes.

At age 29, the 5’ 9” cornerback had an uphill battle to make the roster in a new-look secondary that recently had Chris Cook and Lito Sheppard added to the mix.  In fact, with Antoine Winfield, Cedric Griffin, Cook, Sheppard, and Asher Allen almost locks to make the roster, it is likely that Sapp would have been the odd man out after Griffin is able to return from injury.  Sapp also missed a good deal of training camp after experiencing dehydration.

On the flip side, the 28-year-old Camarillo seems like an addition that not only seems likely to stick to the roster but seems likely to see some production.

In 2008, he started the first 11 games for the Dolphins before tearing his ACL.  In those 11 games he posted a career high 55 catches and 613 yards, scoring two touchdowns.  When he successfully returned from injury in 2009 he had another 50 catch season, this time for 552 yards.  With 113 career receptions under his belt, Camarillo has never once fumbled the football.

These numbers could increase (if he gets the playing time) as Brett Favre would appear to be a clear upgrade over the quarterbacks that were throwing to Camarillo in Miami, meaning Chad Pennington and Chad Henne.

The Vikings appear to be stocking up at the wide receiver position, with hopes of keeping some viable weapons on the field in the unfortunate scenario that neither Sidney Rice nor Percy Harvin are able to play in a given week.  Camarillo represents a veteran presence, with nearly two full seasons of starting experience.

It appears that he will enter into competition with Greg Lewis, Javon Walker, and Logan Payne for the Vikings #3 spot to begin the season, with Bernard Berrian and Percy Harvin starting.  If he wins the top spot, I would bet he lines up outside with Harvin moving to the slot during three receiver sets.

If he doesn’t win the top spot, or if Sidney Rice returns, then the Vikings have found themselves one of the better #4 wide outs in the league.

Camarillo is signed through 2011 and is set to make $1.3 million in 2010 and $1.7 million in 2011.  Sapp resigned with the Vikings this offseason, landing a contract that would pay him $4.2 million over the next two years, with $1.5 million of that guaranteed.  The savings isn’t huge, but if the cap were to return, or if the Vikings are having troubles finding the cash to pay guys like Chad Greenway or Adrian Peterson, then every little bit helps.

On August 31st, the Vikings will have to cut their roster down to 75 guys.  On September 4th they will make the final cuts and get the roster down to 53.  I am fairly confident that Camarillo will make the final roster, which is something I could not say about Benny Sapp.

Still not convinced that this trade is a good thing?

Consider that the Vikings play the Miami Dolphins in week two this season.  Then ask yourself who is more likely to be an “X factor” on that Sunday.  Greg Camarillo or Benny Sapp?

That’s what I thought.

11 Responses to “Reaction To Sapp Trade”

I hope you are right Adam. I kinda liked Sapp and his intensity except the late hits of course. He played some solid ball after Winfield got hurt last year.

• Fragile Freds says:

Party at Asher Allen’s house tonight!!!

Freds agrees with BJohnny, Sapp did very well in place of Tony last year. Sapp isn’t a superstar, but proved he can play. The risk is that Asher Allen doesn’t get better (he needs to) and Lito has lost a step. But coach of the year Brads knows better than your old pal Freds does.

The Sid injury is bad enough, but having to carry another receiver on the roster for Cheech’s problems is a long term issue. Cheech better be great when he actually does plays because he’s taking up two roster spots!! That hurts.

• Fragile Freds says:

The upside of the trade is that Greg Camarillo is a good receiver (not as good as Joe Webb but whatever). He has really good hands and should function well across the middle on those crazy ass slant patters that Banjo loves to throw. Camarillo is very tough. Sure as can be, we know Bernie “the glass” Berrians isn’t going to making a living on the slant patterns. This guy may be as much of a replacement for Cheech’s ability to go over the middle as Sid’s ability to go deep (slow, but deep).

Freds dont forget about the party at GPs house tonight. Suppose we will get invited? Why do I get the feeling that we are now one injury away from being thin at cb instead of deep?

2. kj says:

Sapp has improved over the past couple of years but we’re deep at CB right now and thin at WR so with his consistency in catching the ball and no fumbles I think this is a smart move and one that will pay dividends for at least a couple of years.

The trade seems good on paper. The players will decide which team got the better deal. Does Miami know that Benny sometimes acts before he thinks? I am hoping our newly acquired Stanford grad won’t have that issue so much.

Johnny,KJ,Coach,
    You fella’s pretty much covered it…

Johnny, I liked him too

5. Nume says:

Yeah I think it sounds pretty good. He seems to have great hands too. Out of his 50+ catches last year, he had 0 drops.

6. Norseman66 says:

Sorry guys, but Sidney Rice has to take the blame for this one. Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t 2 doctors tell him he needed this operation this past spring? Why didn’t he get it done then? He would probably be good to go or very close to it by now.

7. wtfvikesfan says:

Rice: ‘Signficant changes’ forced surgery
    August, 25, 2010
    AUG 25
    4:30
    PM ET
    EmailPrintComments
    By Kevin Seifert
    Tuesday, we detailed the Minnesota Vikings’ official explanation for why receiver Sidney Rice had hip surgery eight months after the original injury, a timetable that will cost him half of the 2010 season. Wednesday, Rice posted an extensive explanation of his own on his personal blog, one that offers one important detail: Doctors documented a significant worsening during the time he attempted to rehabilitate this summer.

Here is the key passage:
    Last week I was a little sore after the cutting drills, but the pain was something I thought I could tolerate.

Like a week and a half ago I went back to see the doctor for another MRI and he said it showed significant changes. It was something he thought would be a serious problem if I didn’t get it taken care of right then, a problem that could shorten my career. I was feeling better, I had my full range of motion back and felt like I was ready to go, but the doctor compared the last two MRIs and said I should get it taken care of right now.

I talked to a couple of my teammates about it and our trainers and felt like it was the right move to make because I would still have an opportunity to finish the season strong and help the Vikings make a push for the Super Bowl.

Once [Dr. Marc J. Phillipon] got in there and checked everything out, he said having the surgery was the best move I could have made, so I don’t regret it now. He said it could have been much worse if I would have tried to play on it during the season. He said it could have been my last year of playing football, so I know I made the right decision.

The key phrase, to me, was “significant changes.” Based on this account, surgery was unavoidable rather than a choice made to alleviate pain. In speaking about the issue Tuesday, Vikings coach Brad Childress said: “In the end, it’s up to him whether he wanted to have that procedure or whether he could press through. [Reporters] saw him run out here the other day and move around [during rehabilitation]. Obviously he felt it was more of a nag to where he couldn’t slough it up. He wanted to remedy it by having a procedure.”

It’s clear there are two sides to this story, but ultimately the result is the same: Rice will be sidelined for at least eight weeks.

Rice, meanwhile, made a passing reference to the role of his contract status in this episode, writing: “If the Vikings decide to give me an extension, that’s great. If not, life goes on. I’ll continue to work hard and do everything I can to be successful in what I’ve been doing my whole life, and that’s playing football.”

Would agree w/ Norseman on Sidney’s role in this trade. Keeping Rice active requires a roster spot. That means we may not be able to keep a 6th CB.

Benny Sapp has been an excellent 5th CB for Vike. He was most reliable sub last year when Antoine went down.

May be a good trade for both team but expect to see more of Sapp than Camarillo as season progresses.