Sidney Rice Explains Himself

The following is taken directly from Sidney Rice’s official blog:

I’m in physical therapy getting my hip iced up right now. I can tell you that physical therapy is not fun.

I injured my hip during the Saints game and it was pretty bad afterwards. I got an MRI right after the game and the doctors said at that point that I had time and it could heal on its own. So I just tried to take it easy from there. No one wants to have surgery if it can be avoided, especially if the injury has a chance to heal on its own.

I gave it some time and it started getting better over the next couple of months. Mini-camp came around and I tweaked it during practice. I wasn’t feeling good after that so I went and got another MRI out in Colorado with Dr. Philippon. He looked at the results and basically said it looked the same as after the MRI I had after the Saints game. He said I could have the surgery or I could continue rehabbing and see how it felt and it could still heal on its own.

So once again, no one wants to have surgery, so that’s the route I took. He said it could be taken care of after season, that I could play with it this season and then get it fixed in the off-season, so that’s what we were hoping for.

I went to training camp not at 100 percent but I started feeling better. I was running, doing some cutting drills, things like that. Last week I was a little sore after the cutting drills, but the pain was something I thought I could tolerate.

Like a week and a half ago I went back to see the doctor for another MRI and he said it showed significant changes. It was something he thought would be a serious problem if I didn’t get it taken care of right then, a problem that could shorten my career. I was feeling better, I had my full range of motion back and felt like I was ready to go, but the doctor compared the last two MRIs and said I should get it taken care of right now.

I talked to a couple of my teammates about it and our trainers and felt like it was the right move to make because I would still have an opportunity to finish the season strong and help the Vikings make a push for the Super Bowl.

Once the doc got in there and checked everything out, he said having the surgery was the best move I could have made, so I don’t regret it now. He said it could have been much worse if I would have tried to play on it during the season. He said it could have been my last year of playing football, so I know I made the right decision.

The surgery was successful. I was surprised when I woke up from the surgery and they told me I would be getting on the exercise bike that same day. I was still out of it from the anesthesia, so I figured they were mistaken. But at 7 o’clock that night they got me out of bed and put me on one of those light fitness bikes and had me peddling for about 20 minutes.

It’s only been a couple of days but I’m feeling better and better with less pain. I have to take it slow, I don’t want to rush it, but everything should be fine and I should be back to 100 percent if I follow my rehab plan, which I will.

People are going to say what they want to say about my contract or whatever, I’m not really worried about that at this point. My main focus is getting back on the field and performing at a high level like I did last year and helping the Vikings win a Super Bowl. It’s not my concern what people say about my contract, whatever happens, happens. If the Vikings decide to give me an extension, that’s great. If not, life goes on. I’ll continue to work hard and do everything I can to be successful in what I’ve been doing my whole life, and that’s playing football.

When I get back it’s nice to know Brett will be out there. Everybody is happy to have Brett back, he’s a great leader, a great player and has a football mind. It’s always good to have a guy like that around and guys look to him as a team leader.

As for when I’ll be back, I’m not really sure but I’m aiming for being back on the field before midseason. I want to do as much rehab as I can as fast as I can without jeopardizing the injury or making it worse. Whatever the doctor says, I’m shooting for two weeks before that.

I want to thank the fans who have supported me throughout this ordeal. Just keep your heads up and know that I’m working hard. Dallas is still the destination.

18 Responses to “Sidney Rice Explains Himself”

Talk about sugar coating, wow! I think he might have left out a few minor details.

2. wtfvikesfan says:

didn’t i post this earlier a couple times.

The doctor told him it looked the same in May as it did in February.
    Hmm…3 months and no change, shoulda got the surgery.

We will plod on without Sid. We have to.
    I liked Sapp, but Camarillo should help. He seems like a hard worker, reliable.
    In just 15 days we will be beatin’ up on those Taints. 15 days…15 Gary Cuozzo days!

Ok CC refresh my memory on Cuozzo.

• c.carterhof says:

Johnny,
        Cuozzo was the gap between Kapp and Fran. I never saw him play, so Coach will have to fill us in on what kind of QB he really was.
        He started 21 games in 70′- 71′. He went 16-5, not bad. Made the playoffs both years. Of course with that Defense, I’m sure you could have done that Johnny. I hear you could sling that pigskin pretty well.

Thanks CC I was a very young dude when Cuozzo played and I hope Coach chimes in. And yes I can still sling the pigskin but I need Fozz44 to throw it to, dude knew how to adjust to the ball on errant passes.

Guys – He came to the Vikes pretty highly regarded on the basis that he was stuck behind Johnny Unitas at Baltimore (Colts at that time), and who wouldn’t be stuck behind Unitas. However, as time went on, we learned why he was a #2. He wasn’t BAD, but he wasn’t going to take us anywhere higher either. He played in that time when we had a fantastic defense, and all we needed was a couple touchdowns a game. But Gary had his difficulties getting that done, along with other QB’s during that time.

Just to add — that 16-5 record was far more due to the defense than to GC QB play. As cart so eloquently points out, we would probably have been over .500 with just about any QB, including johnny and/or TJack.

4. Fran the Man says:

I’ve read on several other sites that people have seen Rice playing basketball all Spring and Summer. One guy said he’s seen him at least 15 times playing in some pretty fast paced games.
    If that’s true, Saying he “tried to take it easy from there” doesn’t hold water.
    Say it ain’t so Sid!

5. Fran the Man says:

cc, I went back to a couple other Viking forums I visit and couldn’t find the posts but it seems I read it on two different forums, that’s why I mentioned it.
    No one else has heard of this?

6. Ole says:

nope Fran, haven’t seen anything about Rice playing BB

this whole delaying surgery thing doesn’t make any sense. When something doesn’t seem right, it’s usually a money issue

7. CalVkg says:

i still don’t know exactly what happened to his hip and what the surgery did to help it.
    the trade was good for us, but rice was a big target for favre, gotta hope walker pans out, could be huge. glad to see the office rollin’ the dice

two things for sure: our D has to be solid, and it should, to carry us for the early part of the season at least; and the o-line has got to improve, cuz we’re gonna try to run it, that’s the plan, listen to favre, that’s what he’s sayin’, and they hafta protect favre when he drops back, especially now w/o taylor

we’ll be a different team this year, and we can still win the title, just maybe more like the way elway and the broncos won their last one. just a feeling that some things will suck compared to last year and some will be better. different can work

Different can work, Cal.
    All this preseason crap that’s happened is either gonna ruin the season, or make em’ better.
    I’ll bet on the latter. But, of course Im a Homer.

We’ll see how it starts out in 14 days. Yeppers, 14 Fred Cox days!

Ahhh, good call, cart. I feared you might go the Brad Johnson route. Nothing against Brad, but Freddie could both kick field goals with the best AND give teammates a good chiropractic correction as needed.

By the way, cart, did you know you are on a doctor roll here? Along with Cox as a licensed chiropractor, DR. Gary Cuozzo was a licensed dentist. Don’t see too much of that in the NFL these days. Back then, another job was going to be a must after football – no millions to invest for those guys.

9. Hi, i believe that i noticed you visited my site so i got here to ?return the favor?.I’m trying to to find issues to improve my website!I suppose its good enough to make use of a few of your ideas!!

10. starting with a new moon and ending…

with a full moon. the celebrations cover new years eve and new years day as people get together with family to celebrate party and give thanks. in the run up to the chinese new year festivities people clear out the old,…