Roster Questions Remain

I hope everybody had a fun and safe holiday weekend.  Welcome back to Saints Week!

I was holed up in my friends loft Saturday tracking roster cuts (my computer completely crapped out on me, new one will be here soon) and was very excited about getting some clarity to what the roster will look like.

With the two recent trades, followed by some of the roster decisions that were made, I’m not 100% clear about the coaches intentions.

For example, the Vikings have three healthy cornerbacks on the roster and in two days will face off against the Super Bowl Champion New Orleans Saints.  The Saints love to run four receiver sets and will surely be encouraged to do just that (or possibly five) all night long if the Vikings can seriously only field three cornerbacks.

Antoine Winfield knows that the Vikings are flirting with danger here.  He was asked if the Saints will spread them out and Winfield replied, “I’m sure they will.  I’m sure they’re reading the papers, looking on the Internet, reading that we only have three corners.  So, we can expect that.”

So, should more help be brought in at the corner position?  “It would be nice,” Winfield said.  “But that’s not up to me.  The coaches make the decisions.”

Perhaps the Vikings are more hopeful than we originally thought when it comes to the health of rookie Chris Cook and veteran Cedric Griffin.  Receiver, however, isn’t the only area that lacks depth.

When the Vikings cut Logan Payne, I thought Javon Walker had made the team.  When the Vikings cut Javon Walker, I thought Housh was going to become a Viking.  When Housh became a Raven… I scratched my head with a confused look on my face.

Bernard Berrian, Percy Harvin, Greg Camarillo, and Greg Lewis are the only four receivers on this roster which was a curious decision by the Vikings staff.  They kept the same number of tight ends in Visanthe Shiancoe, Jim Kleinsasser, Jeff Dugan and Mickey Shuler.  This leads me to believe that if the Vikings were to spread the offense out, they would feel more comfortable with shiancoe lining up wide than Payne or Walker.

As if the receivers weren’t already spread a little thin, however, it sounds like one of them will be taking over punt return duties given the departure of Darius Reynaud, who was traded to the Giants.  Harvin already returns kickoffs, but now it looks like either Camarillo or Berrian will be returning punts.

For now I am not so much worried about these issues.  I am amazed that the Vikings managed to take one of the deepest teams in the NFL and ensure that they somehow thin it out to a dangerous level at crucial positions, but I assume there is a plan in place that makes some sort of sense.

19 Responses to “Roster Questions Remain”

1. Caspa says:

BERRIAN and SHIANCOE on NBC’s Minute to Win It tonight and tomorrow night (8/7 and 8/8) at 8/7c! Check it out!

I couldn’t agree more, Adam. I thought of these things the minute I saw the list, but assumed that other moves were in the machine somewhere. As time goes on, that does not appear to be so. The real disaster will be if one of those corners goes down to injury sometime Thursday night.

Yet with all this said, I just can’t believe that Les would allow his defense to sit this thin, so there must be a contingency of some kind. (Maybe Jared is a backup corner! Maybe Joe “Slash” Webb is QB/WR/CB)

3. Nume says:

From the sounds of things, I wouldnt be at all surprised to see Cedric Griffin play in those 4 wr sets. He’s been practicing all week and he says he’s done everything needed and feels great, so they may put him in at 3rd/4th corner for a week or 2 til he gets back to full game shape, but that may be why they werent so concerned about dropping to 3 corners. Then in a few weeks when Cook comes back they’ll be back to a stable 5.

I’m getting a bad feeling that they are gearing up for a move to LA. Damn conspiracy theories.

Whoa, whoa there johnny. Take whatever it is you need to take when these ideas cross your mind. We’re just talking about roster depth here, fella, and that would be the same problem here or in LA.

Besides, I’ve heard that if they try that move to LA thing, the whole DLine is gonna be waiting at the loading dock with one question… “Goin’ somewhere?” (As we all know, NOBODY moves Pat.) Not so sure that a few from my days wouldn’t be there as well.

Just a theory Coach. Trying to make sense of some of the things they are doing and mostly the things they are not doing. O-line rings a bell, 3 cb, 4 wr, giving away our best punt returner and the better backup qb. I would guess if you wanted to move a team, the first thing you would do is piss off the fan base or at least get them nervous and they are sure doing that. I’m guessing ownership is just a little pissed about the stadium issue. I have no hard evidence, just a thought that made it through my limited brain.

No way, Johnny. Chili is widely believed to have final say over the roster.

If the team moves, there is no guarantee that Chili moves with them or that he gets a head coaching job elsewhere. There is no way I can possibly imagine him purposely trying to “scare” fans as part of some big conspiracy to move the team… there would be nothing in it for him. I honestly think he made the choices that he truly believes are best for this team’s chances at a Super Bowl. Figuring out his plans is no easy task at this point, but I have to think there is some rhyme and reason there… whether or not it works out is yet to be seen.

I knew I’d catch hell on this but there’s something very fishy going on here. i dont think Childo is smart enough to have a great master plan but I will eat my crow if he proves me wrong

Remember, even Freds lost when trying to play “Read Chili’s Mind”. He’s even hard to understand when he supposedly explains something.

5. George says:

If Camarillo were to return punts, would that mean less time in the WR position?

6. Fran the Man says:

I keep saying this;
    4 TE’s??
    WTH?

Only 4 WR’s??
    I thought the same as you Adam, we had something lined up with Walker or maybe Housh.
    When that didn’t happen, I just said to myself;
    “Oh shoot, that right! Childress is our head coach” And that made it all make sense.

Seriously though, WTH are these guys thinking?

7. wtfvikesfan says:

I think the 4 TE’s is because the Vikings are going to run the ball alot this year. I see alot of 2 TE’s sets.

I don’t mind seeing them run the ball but they need to get back to blocking like they did a couple years ago…
    Not the way they are blocking now.

Do you think the possiblity of 2 TE sets is to get the ball out of Favre’s hands faster or they’re not as confident in our WR’s ???

Yes or No,
    Let me kmow what you guys think.

Speculating that Vike are carefully watching Dolphin dance with CB Will Allen. Of course, there’s a Spielman connection. Will Allen is a talented, high salaried nickelback and has been put on injured reserve. He has been beat out of his starting CB position and speculation is he’ll end up with an injury settlement w/ Miami. Dolphin strong at CB and would like to trade away his rights.

Last week Dolphin claimed four players on waivers. Spagnuolo continues to demonstrate deficiencies as a HC. And what does the Parcell’s retirement decision mean? Last minute roster churning doesn’t usually achieve cohesion or confidence. Spielman needs to talk to Jeff Ireland this week.